Re: [S-R] RECORD OF BIRTHS and DEATHS circ. 1925-1930

  • John M.
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 9, 2002
      At 07:43 PM 7/9/02 -0700, you wrote:
      >Vladimir: Many thanks for your response. I will be sending my query to the
      >Town Hall, Matricny Urad, In Hranovnica, post-haste!
      >
      >Regards,
      >Pat

      I believe Town Hall (Office) is called Obecny Urad. Matricny U'rad would
      be Registery Office. The word for register is matrika probably from the
      Latin matricula or public role. Vladimir could confirm this.

      John
      John
    • Pat
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 9, 2002
        John: Thank you for your email. Do you suppose Vladimir is, in fact, saying
        "Town Hall, Registery Office" - or - "Obecny Urad, Matricny Urad"? Or to put it
        another way - the Registery Office at the Town Hall? Or, are you saying
        "matrika" should be used in place of matricny?

        I will hold off sending my query until you can set me straight. Many thanks.
        Pat
        _________________

        "John M." wrote:

        > I believe Town Hall (Office) is called Obecny Urad. Matricny U'rad would
        > be Registery Office. The word for register is matrika probably from the
        > Latin matricula or public role. Vladimir could confirm this.
        > John
        >

        > -
      • Konekta
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
          Town Hall is in a town, therefore it is called Mestsky Urad.
          Mayor's office is in a village, therefore it is called Obecny urad (Community office if you want).
          Matrika or Matricny urad is the same and can be placed either in Obecny Urad, Mestsky Urad or Okresny urad, depending on locality.
          Okresny Urad is a District Office (Administration).
          I doubt, that writing to them will have any success, since they are not intended to serve foreigners directly.
          The correct way would be to write to the Slovak Embassy. These services are not for free, and a Mayor's office has no provision to charge you. Therefore this official way.
          Other possibility is to find a relative, who can go there and ask for info / certificates.
          Third possibility is to authorise a genealogist to do the job.
          Regards,
          Vladimir

          "John M." wrote:

          > I believe Town Hall (Office) is called Obecny Urad. Matricny U'rad would
          > be Registery Office. The word for register is matrika probably from the
          > Latin matricula or public role. Vladimir could confirm this.
          > John
          >

          > -

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • John M.
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
            At 09:58 PM 7/9/02 -0700, you wrote:
            >John: Thank you for your email. Do you suppose Vladimir is, in fact, saying
            >"Town Hall, Registery Office" - or - "Obecny Urad, Matricny Urad"? Or to
            >put it
            >another way - the Registery Office at the Town Hall? Or, are you saying
            >"matrika" should be used in place of matricny?
            >
            >I will hold off sending my query until you can set me straight. Many thanks.

            I defer to Vladimir on the spelling since I'm not fluent in Slovak or know
            it's grammar. Although matrika is correct, the grammar may call for the
            change from "k" to"c". I believe the "ny" ending is a possessive
            form. Obec is the word for village and I think the "ny" ending would make
            it read like the "Village's Office" or the office of the village (in our
            parlance, town hall).

            My experience was that in Bardejov, a larger town, the Obecny Urad and
            Matricny Urad were in two different locations. The two other Matricny Urad
            I visited were in smaller towns or villages. In both these cases, the
            Matricny and Obecny Urad were in the same building.

            John
            John
          • Pat Galovich
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
              John: Much appreciated. I believe I will do as Vladimir has suggested and send
              my query to the Slovak Embassy, here in Vancouver. I do appreciate your
              explanations and am amazed at the continuing education I receive from this List.
              (Your email has been placed in my "Foreign Language" file for future reference.)

              Regards,
              Pat
              _____________________
              "John M." wrote:

              > At 09:58 PM 7/9/02 -0700, you wrote:
              > >John: Thank you for your email. Do you suppose Vladimir is, in fact, saying
              > >"Town Hall, Registery Office" - or - "Obecny Urad, Matricny Urad"? Or to
              > >put it
              > >another way - the Registery Office at the Town Hall? Or, are you saying
              > >"matrika" should be used in place of matricny?
              > >
              > >I will hold off sending my query until you can set me straight. Many thanks.
              >
              > I defer to Vladimir on the spelling since I'm not fluent in Slovak or know
              > it's grammar. Although matrika is correct, the grammar may call for the
              > change from "k" to"c". I believe the "ny" ending is a possessive
              > form. Obec is the word for village and I think the "ny" ending would make
              > it read like the "Village's Office" or the office of the village (in our
              > parlance, town hall).
              >
              > My experience was that in Bardejov, a larger town, the Obecny Urad and
              > Matricny Urad were in two different locations. The two other Matricny Urad
              > I visited were in smaller towns or villages. In both these cases, the
              > Matricny and Obecny Urad were in the same building.
              > John
            • Pat Galovich
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
                Vladimir: Thank you for your most informative email. I will do as you suggest and send my query to the Slovak Embassy offices, here in Vancouver. I am very grateful for
                your time and expertise.

                Regards,
                Pat
                _____________

                Konekta wrote:

                > Town Hall is in a town, therefore it is called Mestsky Urad.
                > Mayor's office is in a village, therefore it is called Obecny urad (Community office if you want).
                > Matrika or Matricny urad is the same and can be placed either in Obecny Urad, Mestsky Urad or Okresny urad, depending on locality.
                > Okresny Urad is a District Office (Administration).
                > I doubt, that writing to them will have any success, since they are not intended to serve foreigners directly.
                > The correct way would be to write to the Slovak Embassy. These services are not for free, and a Mayor's office has no provision to charge you. Therefore this official way.
                > Other possibility is to find a relative, who can go there and ask for info / certificates.
                > Third possibility is to authorise a genealogist to do the job.
                > Regards,
                > Vladimir

              • Konekta
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
                  Dear Pat,
                  I think, they have special forms for such queries. Contact them first by e-mail.
                  regards,
                  Vladimir

                  Konekta wrote:

                  > Town Hall is in a town, therefore it is called Mestsky Urad.
                  > Mayor's office is in a village, therefore it is called Obecny urad (Community office if you want).
                  > Matrika or Matricny urad is the same and can be placed either in Obecny Urad, Mestsky Urad or Okresny urad, depending on locality.
                  > Okresny Urad is a District Office (Administration).
                  > I doubt, that writing to them will have any success, since they are not intended to serve foreigners directly.
                  > The correct way would be to write to the Slovak Embassy. These services are not for free, and a Mayor's office has no provision to charge you. Therefore this official way.
                  > Other possibility is to find a relative, who can go there and ask for info / certificates.
                  > Third possibility is to authorise a genealogist to do the job.
                  > Regards,
                  > Vladimir

                • Pat Galovich
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
                    Vladimir: Yes, I will do that - thank you.
                    Regards,
                    Pat
                    ________

                    Konekta wrote:

                    > Dear Pat,
                    > I think, they have special forms for such queries. Contact them first by e-mail.
                    > regards,
                    > Vladimir

                  • John M.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
                      At 10:10 AM 7/10/02 -0700, you wrote:
                      >John: Much appreciated. I believe I will do as Vladimir has suggested
                      >and send
                      >my query to the Slovak Embassy, here in Vancouver. I do appreciate your
                      >explanations and am amazed at the continuing education I receive from this
                      >List.
                      >(Your email has been placed in my "Foreign Language" file for future
                      >reference.)
                      >
                      >Regards,
                      >Pat

                      There are others on this list that have a much better command of the
                      language. I agree on your choice. Vladimir gave a good explanation of the
                      names of the different offices and how the system works. When I visited
                      the Matricny Urad, I had a relative with me. He suggested we take a small
                      box of chocolates to each office. He casually laid it on the counter with
                      out mentioning it and then started discussing the records that we wanted
                      with the clerks ( I believe their title is matrikara). They were very
                      cooperative and I'm sure would have assisted us without a token of
                      appreciation. The clerks do not Xerox or scan the records. They type up
                      official documents containing the critical information from the birth,
                      marriage and death records. We had to purchase a 40 SKK stamp (about $1.00
                      US) for each of the documents. That was the only charge.

                      John
                    • Pat Galovich
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
                        John: More good information - thank you. If I have no success with my written
                        queries, I will attempt to be patient and wait until next summer when my
                        husband and I plan to visit Slovakia. We will be heading to Prague for some
                        sightseeing and then off to Bratislava and finally to Poprad, where there are
                        "collateral" family members still residing. We are not able to ask their
                        assistance in this matter however, as they are presently undergoing a major
                        family medical problem. We had hoped to have some detailed, extensive family
                        history to show these people upon our arrival next year, and I will continue to
                        perserve with my research at this end. You and Vladimir have helped in this
                        regard considerably.

                        Regards,
                        Pat