Re: [S-R] RECORD OF BIRTHS and DEATHS circ. 1925-1930

  • Pat
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 9, 2002
      Vladimir: Many thanks for your response. I will be sending my query to the
      Town Hall, Matricny Urad, In Hranovnica, post-haste!

      Regards,
      Pat
      _________________

      Konekta wrote:

      > Will be in the Town Hall of Hranovnica, Matricny Urad.
      > Regards,
      > Vladimir Bohinc
      > www.konekta.sk
    • John M.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 9, 2002
        At 07:43 PM 7/9/02 -0700, you wrote:
        >Vladimir: Many thanks for your response. I will be sending my query to the
        >Town Hall, Matricny Urad, In Hranovnica, post-haste!
        >
        >Regards,
        >Pat

        I believe Town Hall (Office) is called Obecny Urad. Matricny U'rad would
        be Registery Office. The word for register is matrika probably from the
        Latin matricula or public role. Vladimir could confirm this.

        John
        John
      • Pat
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 9, 2002
          John: Thank you for your email. Do you suppose Vladimir is, in fact, saying
          "Town Hall, Registery Office" - or - "Obecny Urad, Matricny Urad"? Or to put it
          another way - the Registery Office at the Town Hall? Or, are you saying
          "matrika" should be used in place of matricny?

          I will hold off sending my query until you can set me straight. Many thanks.
          Pat
          _________________

          "John M." wrote:

          > I believe Town Hall (Office) is called Obecny Urad. Matricny U'rad would
          > be Registery Office. The word for register is matrika probably from the
          > Latin matricula or public role. Vladimir could confirm this.
          > John
          >

          > -
        • Konekta
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
            Town Hall is in a town, therefore it is called Mestsky Urad.
            Mayor's office is in a village, therefore it is called Obecny urad (Community office if you want).
            Matrika or Matricny urad is the same and can be placed either in Obecny Urad, Mestsky Urad or Okresny urad, depending on locality.
            Okresny Urad is a District Office (Administration).
            I doubt, that writing to them will have any success, since they are not intended to serve foreigners directly.
            The correct way would be to write to the Slovak Embassy. These services are not for free, and a Mayor's office has no provision to charge you. Therefore this official way.
            Other possibility is to find a relative, who can go there and ask for info / certificates.
            Third possibility is to authorise a genealogist to do the job.
            Regards,
            Vladimir

            "John M." wrote:

            > I believe Town Hall (Office) is called Obecny Urad. Matricny U'rad would
            > be Registery Office. The word for register is matrika probably from the
            > Latin matricula or public role. Vladimir could confirm this.
            > John
            >

            > -

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • John M.
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
              At 09:58 PM 7/9/02 -0700, you wrote:
              >John: Thank you for your email. Do you suppose Vladimir is, in fact, saying
              >"Town Hall, Registery Office" - or - "Obecny Urad, Matricny Urad"? Or to
              >put it
              >another way - the Registery Office at the Town Hall? Or, are you saying
              >"matrika" should be used in place of matricny?
              >
              >I will hold off sending my query until you can set me straight. Many thanks.

              I defer to Vladimir on the spelling since I'm not fluent in Slovak or know
              it's grammar. Although matrika is correct, the grammar may call for the
              change from "k" to"c". I believe the "ny" ending is a possessive
              form. Obec is the word for village and I think the "ny" ending would make
              it read like the "Village's Office" or the office of the village (in our
              parlance, town hall).

              My experience was that in Bardejov, a larger town, the Obecny Urad and
              Matricny Urad were in two different locations. The two other Matricny Urad
              I visited were in smaller towns or villages. In both these cases, the
              Matricny and Obecny Urad were in the same building.

              John
              John
            • Pat Galovich
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
                John: Much appreciated. I believe I will do as Vladimir has suggested and send
                my query to the Slovak Embassy, here in Vancouver. I do appreciate your
                explanations and am amazed at the continuing education I receive from this List.
                (Your email has been placed in my "Foreign Language" file for future reference.)

                Regards,
                Pat
                _____________________
                "John M." wrote:

                > At 09:58 PM 7/9/02 -0700, you wrote:
                > >John: Thank you for your email. Do you suppose Vladimir is, in fact, saying
                > >"Town Hall, Registery Office" - or - "Obecny Urad, Matricny Urad"? Or to
                > >put it
                > >another way - the Registery Office at the Town Hall? Or, are you saying
                > >"matrika" should be used in place of matricny?
                > >
                > >I will hold off sending my query until you can set me straight. Many thanks.
                >
                > I defer to Vladimir on the spelling since I'm not fluent in Slovak or know
                > it's grammar. Although matrika is correct, the grammar may call for the
                > change from "k" to"c". I believe the "ny" ending is a possessive
                > form. Obec is the word for village and I think the "ny" ending would make
                > it read like the "Village's Office" or the office of the village (in our
                > parlance, town hall).
                >
                > My experience was that in Bardejov, a larger town, the Obecny Urad and
                > Matricny Urad were in two different locations. The two other Matricny Urad
                > I visited were in smaller towns or villages. In both these cases, the
                > Matricny and Obecny Urad were in the same building.
                > John
              • Pat Galovich
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
                  Vladimir: Thank you for your most informative email. I will do as you suggest and send my query to the Slovak Embassy offices, here in Vancouver. I am very grateful for
                  your time and expertise.

                  Regards,
                  Pat
                  _____________

                  Konekta wrote:

                  > Town Hall is in a town, therefore it is called Mestsky Urad.
                  > Mayor's office is in a village, therefore it is called Obecny urad (Community office if you want).
                  > Matrika or Matricny urad is the same and can be placed either in Obecny Urad, Mestsky Urad or Okresny urad, depending on locality.
                  > Okresny Urad is a District Office (Administration).
                  > I doubt, that writing to them will have any success, since they are not intended to serve foreigners directly.
                  > The correct way would be to write to the Slovak Embassy. These services are not for free, and a Mayor's office has no provision to charge you. Therefore this official way.
                  > Other possibility is to find a relative, who can go there and ask for info / certificates.
                  > Third possibility is to authorise a genealogist to do the job.
                  > Regards,
                  > Vladimir

                • Konekta
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
                    Dear Pat,
                    I think, they have special forms for such queries. Contact them first by e-mail.
                    regards,
                    Vladimir

                    Konekta wrote:

                    > Town Hall is in a town, therefore it is called Mestsky Urad.
                    > Mayor's office is in a village, therefore it is called Obecny urad (Community office if you want).
                    > Matrika or Matricny urad is the same and can be placed either in Obecny Urad, Mestsky Urad or Okresny urad, depending on locality.
                    > Okresny Urad is a District Office (Administration).
                    > I doubt, that writing to them will have any success, since they are not intended to serve foreigners directly.
                    > The correct way would be to write to the Slovak Embassy. These services are not for free, and a Mayor's office has no provision to charge you. Therefore this official way.
                    > Other possibility is to find a relative, who can go there and ask for info / certificates.
                    > Third possibility is to authorise a genealogist to do the job.
                    > Regards,
                    > Vladimir

                  • Pat Galovich
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
                      Vladimir: Yes, I will do that - thank you.
                      Regards,
                      Pat
                      ________

                      Konekta wrote:

                      > Dear Pat,
                      > I think, they have special forms for such queries. Contact them first by e-mail.
                      > regards,
                      > Vladimir

                    • John M.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
                        At 10:10 AM 7/10/02 -0700, you wrote:
                        >John: Much appreciated. I believe I will do as Vladimir has suggested
                        >and send
                        >my query to the Slovak Embassy, here in Vancouver. I do appreciate your
                        >explanations and am amazed at the continuing education I receive from this
                        >List.
                        >(Your email has been placed in my "Foreign Language" file for future
                        >reference.)
                        >
                        >Regards,
                        >Pat

                        There are others on this list that have a much better command of the
                        language. I agree on your choice. Vladimir gave a good explanation of the
                        names of the different offices and how the system works. When I visited
                        the Matricny Urad, I had a relative with me. He suggested we take a small
                        box of chocolates to each office. He casually laid it on the counter with
                        out mentioning it and then started discussing the records that we wanted
                        with the clerks ( I believe their title is matrikara). They were very
                        cooperative and I'm sure would have assisted us without a token of
                        appreciation. The clerks do not Xerox or scan the records. They type up
                        official documents containing the critical information from the birth,
                        marriage and death records. We had to purchase a 40 SKK stamp (about $1.00
                        US) for each of the documents. That was the only charge.

                        John
                      • Pat Galovich
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 10, 2002
                          John: More good information - thank you. If I have no success with my written
                          queries, I will attempt to be patient and wait until next summer when my
                          husband and I plan to visit Slovakia. We will be heading to Prague for some
                          sightseeing and then off to Bratislava and finally to Poprad, where there are
                          "collateral" family members still residing. We are not able to ask their
                          assistance in this matter however, as they are presently undergoing a major
                          family medical problem. We had hoped to have some detailed, extensive family
                          history to show these people upon our arrival next year, and I will continue to
                          perserve with my research at this end. You and Vladimir have helped in this
                          regard considerably.

                          Regards,
                          Pat