Idea - suggestions/opinions sought

  • mpetzolt2@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2002
      One of my ideas for the SR site is a place where people could list
      obituaries for family members, and/or obituaries for anyone which lists
      a place of origin in the "old country".

      This idea comes out of a project we developed on my SHAMROCK list for
      Ireland -- because for some reason the Irish have been very likely to
      list a place of origin in Ireland on their tombstones. (See
      http://community.webtv.net/shamrockroots/tombstones for how that project
      works, it got so large it was more than I could transcribe, so a friend
      of mine made a data entry board for me... we could do that for the obits
      too) Personally I have not noticed this on tombstones I've seen for
      Slovakia/Hungary etc etc., but I have seen it in obituaries.

      So, I'm seeking opinions on whether or not this might be a good idea -
      it could be two separate projects, obituaries of family, and general
      obits that list place of origin (which I know may just be listed as
      Hungary).

      I intend to also have a "data" section with data donated by anyone...
      such as other names if you got a study done by one of the research
      centers and there are other names listed on it, or if you wish to
      transcribe anything. I think it's time to have some data on the site for
      people to use. Transcribed obits could be listed under this data
      section.

      You can either send opinions to me privately or to the list.

      Maura Petzolt mpetzolt2@...
      SHAMROCK ROOTS homepage

      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching