finding my Gombar relatives

  • lacer55
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2002
      Hi,
      I'm new to the group and am glad I have found it. I, with other
      family members have been unsuccessfully searching for my Gombar
      relatives. My great grandparents always said they came from
      Zemplinska,Czechoslovakia. They came to America @ 1863 There are no
      records from just Zemplinska and the closest one to other towns
      where other relatives live is Zemplinska Teplica and LDS has no
      Catholic church records for that town.
      We have letters from relatives as late as 1999 from Trebisov. I
      believe the relative died in 2000. Her name was Anna Gobarova Tomko
      and I believe she was being taken care of by a son, Stephan Tomko. I
      can't find him listed in the online telephone directory for
      Trebisov. There was also another relative, Pavel Kozak from Vranov
      nad Toplu around 1990. His mother was Elizabetha Gombarova Kozak. I
      can't find a listing for him either. I was wondering if there is a
      newspaper that would have listed their deaths and is available. I
      believe these relatives hold a key to finding the birth records for
      my great grandparents. Any advice or help would be greatly
      appreciated.
      Joeanna Smith
      Joeanna @...
    • lacer55
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2002
        Vladimir,
        Thank you your response. My uncle did mention Zemplinska Stolica but
        that would mean looking through all the 1869 Census films --I think
        172 rolls---at LDS for Zemplin County. I have been searching for
        years now trying to locate the exact village. Cousins came from
        Senne and Horovce but my great-grandparents have been illusive. I'll
        keep trying. Trying to find his wife--Anna Halkowicz has also been
        difficult.
        Joeanna