Re: [S-R] Surname Listing

  • J Izzo,III
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2002
      my grandfather was a bodnar from latrobe,pa.
      Doris Weigner <midwig@...> wrote: BALICKI/BALYCZKI - Palocz to PA Doris Weigner midwig@...

      BODNAR - Trebiscov, Zemplin Co. to PA Doris Weigner midwig@...

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Doris Weigner
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2002
        Do you know where he originated from? My family lived in the
        Phoenixville/Pottstown area. Great-grandfather was Mihaly (Michael) and
        grandfather was Andras (Andrew).

        Doris
      • frankly1us
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2002
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Doris Weigner" <midwig@p...> wrote:
          > BALICKI/BALYCZKI - Palocz to PA Doris Weigner midwig@p...
          >
          > BODNAR - Trebiscov, Zemplin Co. to PA Doris Weigner
          midwig@p...

          Pálócz (H) was formerly located in Ung megye (county), Hungary;
          now Pavlovce nad Uhom (Sk) and is located 11 miles from Michalovce
          (Sk) Nagymihály (H), Slovakia.
          And located 16 miles from Trebis^ov (Sk) To"keterebes (H) if that was
          the other place name ?

          There are 3 place names Pavlovce located in Slovakia.

          The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. parish registers (1818-1896) for
          Pavlovce nad Uhom, Slovakia, formerly Pálócz (H)(also called
          Pavloci), Hungary.
          Text in Latin and Hungarian.

          film #
          1792902
          1793219

          The LDS-Mormons has filmed all the parish church records at six
          of the seven regional Slovak State Archives in Slovakia.

          Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

          LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

          Hungarian English
          rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
          ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
          izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

          (Only the film titles are in Slovak)
          In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
          Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
          Sobás^ení = Marriages
          Zomrelí = Deaths

          In Hungarian the matriky are titled anyakönyvek.

          Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

          In Latin the matriky are titled matricula.

          Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
          Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records
          Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records

          Many Polish surnames end in -ski or -cki.
          In older records you sometimes read -sky (before spelling rules
          were adapted); but in recent times tendency to insist on -ski.
          Probably a possessive affix added to name which evolved from person's
          characteristics (such as 'tall, short, etc.), occupation, or place
          of residence.
          In Czech and Slovak, the -sky is akin to the Polish -ski, while -cky
          is similar to Polish -cki.
        • J Izzo,III
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7, 2002
            No Doris. I do not know where he originated from as he became estranged to my grandmother. His name was Josef.
            Doris Weigner <midwig@...> wrote: Do you know where he originated from? My family lived in the