Surname Listing

  • Doris Weigner
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2002
      BALICKI/BALYCZKI - Palocz to PA Doris Weigner midwig@...

      BODNAR - Trebiscov, Zemplin Co. to PA Doris Weigner midwig@...
    • J Izzo,III
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2002
        my grandfather was a bodnar from latrobe,pa.
        Doris Weigner <midwig@...> wrote: BALICKI/BALYCZKI - Palocz to PA Doris Weigner midwig@...

        BODNAR - Trebiscov, Zemplin Co. to PA Doris Weigner midwig@...

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Doris Weigner
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2002
          Do you know where he originated from? My family lived in the
          Phoenixville/Pottstown area. Great-grandfather was Mihaly (Michael) and
          grandfather was Andras (Andrew).

          Doris
        • frankly1us
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7, 2002
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Doris Weigner" <midwig@p...> wrote:
            > BALICKI/BALYCZKI - Palocz to PA Doris Weigner midwig@p...
            >
            > BODNAR - Trebiscov, Zemplin Co. to PA Doris Weigner
            midwig@p...

            Pálócz (H) was formerly located in Ung megye (county), Hungary;
            now Pavlovce nad Uhom (Sk) and is located 11 miles from Michalovce
            (Sk) Nagymihály (H), Slovakia.
            And located 16 miles from Trebis^ov (Sk) To"keterebes (H) if that was
            the other place name ?

            There are 3 place names Pavlovce located in Slovakia.

            The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. parish registers (1818-1896) for
            Pavlovce nad Uhom, Slovakia, formerly Pálócz (H)(also called
            Pavloci), Hungary.
            Text in Latin and Hungarian.

            film #
            1792902
            1793219

            The LDS-Mormons has filmed all the parish church records at six
            of the seven regional Slovak State Archives in Slovakia.

            Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

            LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

            Hungarian English
            rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
            ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
            izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

            (Only the film titles are in Slovak)
            In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
            Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
            Sobás^ení = Marriages
            Zomrelí = Deaths

            In Hungarian the matriky are titled anyakönyvek.

            Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

            In Latin the matriky are titled matricula.

            Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
            Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records
            Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records

            Many Polish surnames end in -ski or -cki.
            In older records you sometimes read -sky (before spelling rules
            were adapted); but in recent times tendency to insist on -ski.
            Probably a possessive affix added to name which evolved from person's
            characteristics (such as 'tall, short, etc.), occupation, or place
            of residence.
            In Czech and Slovak, the -sky is akin to the Polish -ski, while -cky
            is similar to Polish -cki.
          • J Izzo,III
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7, 2002
              No Doris. I do not know where he originated from as he became estranged to my grandmother. His name was Josef.
              Doris Weigner <midwig@...> wrote: Do you know where he originated from? My family lived in the