Austria-Hungary Marriage License/Birth Certificate

  • Amy Kollar Anderson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 4, 2002
      I finally found the obituary for my GGgrandfather, Andrew Kollar. It
      says he was born on November 25, 1853 and married to Amalia/Mollie Lesak
      1878-79, in Austria-Hungary. They moved to America 5 years after their
      marriage. Does anyone know how I could find the marriage license and or
      birth certificates for my GGgrandparents?

      Thanks!

      Amy
    • John M.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2002
        At 07:37 PM 7/4/02 -0400, you wrote:
        >I finally found the obituary for my GGgrandfather, Andrew Kollar. It
        >says he was born on November 25, 1853 and married to Amalia/Mollie Lesak
        >1878-79, in Austria-Hungary. They moved to America 5 years after their
        >marriage. Does anyone know how I could find the marriage license and or
        >birth certificates for my GGgrandparents?
        >
        >Thanks!
        >
        >Amy

        If you're lucky you may find them in your Local Family History Center
        (FHC), which are open to everyone but are a part of the Church of the
        Latter day Saints (LDS). The LDS has microfilmed the birth, marriage, and
        death records of a great many of the churches in Slovakia (was Upper
        Hungary then) and possibly in Southeast Poland (Galacia at that time under
        Austria).

        First you will have to identify the village they came from by working
        backwards from the present family records. What language did they speak
        and what church did they go to? Once you have established their village(s)
        you will be able to determine if their village church records have been
        microfilmed and order the films to view if they have been.

        Another approach is, after locating their village(s), to write to the state
        archives in the country they were from and request them to do research for
        you. There will be a fee involved for researching.

        Kollar is a common name in Slovakia (322 phone listings in Bratislava, 95
        Kosice, 38 in Presov, etc.) and Lesak is also found but with much less
        frequency. The odds are good that they were from what is now called
        Slovakia and most of the church records in Slovakia have been
        microfilmed. Good luck.

        John

        John
      • Konekta
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2002
          Dear Amy,
          I never researched neither Kollar nor Lesak surnames, but happen to have them in my data base.
          They came in as a spin off, from other researches.
          Your problem is one of the most difficult ones. You have no clue, where they came from.
          One thing is very important.
          They married here, in Slovakia. This indicates, that they came from a place, where both Kollars and Lesaks were. This is already a great step forward.
          In general, Ellis Island data would show, where certain surnames wre coming from in those times.
          Your ancestors are not in that data base. Unfortunately, there are very many Kollars there.
          If you have time, you can crossreference both surnames from the Ellis Island hits ( Kollar and Leszak), whether there is any place mentioned, that applies to both surnames. It can also be a place in the vicinity. For this work you need a lot of patience , a good system and a good map.(There is no genealogy without a good map)
          In this way I have solved several such dificult cases.
          Now, The two Lesaks, that I have , are from the Brezova area and the 36 Kollars are from the surrounding of Brezova.I think, this is a very promising info. This area is not available on microfilms from LDS.
          If you think, I could do something for you, please, write me a private e-mail.
          With best regards,
          Vladimir Bohinc
          www.konekta.sk

          And a word of clarification;
          you are not looking for the documents like Marriage license or Birth certificate. These documents do not exist.
          They can be issued at request, after the dates/events have been found.

          I finally found the obituary for my GGgrandfather, Andrew Kollar. It
          says he was born on November 25, 1853 and married to Amalia/Mollie Lesak
          1878-79, in Austria-Hungary. They moved to America 5 years after their
          marriage. Does anyone know how I could find the marriage license and or
          birth certificates for my GGgrandparents?

          Thanks!

          Amy

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Fran M Roen
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2002
            Amy:

            Pose your question to this man:
            Lavrentiy, he works at work a FHC in Washington, DC.
            his e-address is:

            Lkrupnak@...

            I know he is very good and will help you. Also if you want you can hire
            him
            to find personal information about you gggrandparents, but if you don't
            want
            to he will still lead you in the right lane to finding which microfilms
            you can get
            from the FHC to find the marriage license, birth cert., etc.

            Take Care
            Fran

            P.S. You may also want to think about post on the Austrian site.