Reminders about Subject Line

  • mpetzolt2@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4 8:39 AM
      Please remember that subject line is -extremely- important in your use
      of mailing lists... many people just look at the subject line to decide
      whether or not they want to read the post in the first place.

      For digest users, it is very important that you -change the subject
      line- from "Re: digest whatever" as that tells us nothing about your
      post.

      In general, the only things that should be in caps in subject lines are
      SURNAMES, first names and locations are in regular type. And using
      subject lines like "help" or some general thing also isn't going to get
      you much help.

      And if the post starts out with one subject line, but for some reason
      changes (like to a discussion of just one surname or something) then
      change the subject line to reflect that (i.e. SURNAME, was whatever)

      We want everyone to get all the assistance they can, and your use of
      subject line is the first step to getting to that. If you haven't
      already read the "How to Write a Successful Query" on my Helpful Hints
      page, that might help you also.
      To most of us who have been doing this for a long time, we cringe
      whenever we read the words "Looking for information on ...." Read that
      section and find out why.....

      Thanks for your cooperation!

      Maura Petzolt mpetzolt2@...
      SHAMROCK ROOTS homepage