Sharing Ideas

  • JPasqua342@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2002
      Hi Group:

      Thought I would share with all of you what I have doing with my genealogy and
      Christmas gifts.

      Last year I took all the recipes that I have accumulated, through my many
      years of housekeeping and rummaged through my mothers old cookbooks. I
      organized and began to put them all on my word processor, adding a little
      clip art and came up with a 60 page cookbook. All the family favorites are
      in this cookbook along with the names of who gave me the recipe. ( There were
      a lot of fond memories being stirred-up during this process) I put the
      recipes in archival safe page protectors and put everything into a plastic
      covered notebook with a pocket on the front. I made a cover with my
      daughter's name on it along with the title of the cookbook, which was
      Carpatho-Rusyn and Family Favorites.

      On Christmas, my daughters were quiet for a moment then realized what I had
      given them...................my one daughter who never cooks, has made
      several of the dishes in the cookbook. It brought me a lot of pleasure doing
      this labor of love for my daughters.

      This year I am presently working on another idea I have..................an
      album. With memory albums so popular and with all the genealogy info I have
      collected. I have again rummaged through my mothers and my old pictures. I
      have a wonderful photo software package on my computer and I am now scanning
      and reprinting the photos.
      I am putting each picture on a memory page and at the bottom I am putting
      information about each subject, such as...........name...........birth and
      death dates..........immigration date............ship
      name..................place of burial, etc.
      So far it looks great. After the pages are complete I am going to attempt to
      make a padded album to put it all in........................but if I am not
      successful at the album..................there is always Michael's Arts and
      Crafts store and purchase one.

      I hope I did not bore you all with my ideas...................but Christmas
      will be here in no time and this kind of gift will take a little time, but
      it is special and what a wonderful way to keep the memories alive for our
      children and grandchildren.

      Have a happy "hot" day...............

      Joann

      PS These are great things to work on when the weather is like this and you
      can't even go out into the garden!