Re: [S-R] Why rectangles instead of "N" or "L?"

  • Doris Weigner
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 27 11:55 AM
      John:

      How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
      with the marks on the letters?

      Thanks.

      Doris
    • John M.
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 27 4:16 PM
        t several optionsAt 02:55 PM 6/27/02 -0400, you wrote:
        >John:
        >
        >How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
        >with the marks on the letters?
        >
        >Thanks.
        >
        >Doris

        I don't think you will have to download Slovak fonts. I'm not the best
        person to answer this question but I'll try. I use Windows 98. Go to "My
        Computer" and click on "Help" then type "language" in the search
        window. It will give you a few options. I believe you will have to do two
        things: 1. install multilanguage support, and 2. install the Slovak Qwerty
        keyboard option.

        1. First install multilanguage support. "You can use Windows to create
        documents in many different languages. However, to create documents in a
        Central European-, Cyrillic-, Baltic-, Greek-, or Turkish-based language,
        you must install multilanguage support." (Slovak falls into Central
        European in this case I believe). After clicking on the "to install
        mutilanguage support" option, follow the step by step instructions.

        2. Next do a search on "keyboard" an select the "to add a keyboard
        language or layout" option and follow the instructions. You want to
        install the Qwerty Slovak keyboard. To see where the diacritic fonts are
        located
        see http://www.macromedia.com/support/fontographer/ts/documents/slovak.htm
        and scroll down to Slovak normal and Slovak shift.

        When you complete the two items above you should have a blue square with En
        in white on it located in the system tray of your task bar. When you click
        on the En icon, a window will open showing your language options. You
        should have a Sk icon to choose. When you click on the Sk icon it will
        give you the Slovak Qwerty keyboard to use. When you reverse the
        procedure, it will take you back to an English keyboard.

        The fonts should work in Wordpad, MS Word, Outlook Express and I'm sure
        other word processing software. I've heard some say the fonts came in
        their word processing software and all they had to do was set their
        preferences or options to use them. Good Luck.

        John
      • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 27 6:46 PM
          After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?
          "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you wrote:
          >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
          >
          >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
          >
          >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm
          >
          >John
          If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser you can choose
          additional languages to use. I have set mine to read English, Slovak, and
          Czech. Go to "Tools" and then click on "Internet Options". Next click on
          "Languages" and then "Add" and select Slovak as one of your languages. I
          believe this will place the letters with diacritics on your screen. I
          don't think you have to download Slovak font to your computer to be able to
          see the Slovak letters but I do have Slovak font downloaded so I'm not
          certain if it is a necessary condition.

          John

        • John M.
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 27 7:11 PM
            At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

            >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
            >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
            >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
            >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

            I hadn't tried printing a Slovak page from the Internet. I went
            to: http://www.slposta.sk/default.php and printed it. The diacritic marks
            printed. Are you set for Multilanguage and do you have the Qwerty Slovak
            keyboard selected in Windows?

            John
          • John M.
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 27 7:18 PM
              At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

              >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
              >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
              >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
              >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?
              > "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you
              > wrote:
              > >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
              > >
              > >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
              > >
              > >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

              I missed the site you mentioned initially (above) so I went to this site
              and it printed with diacritics.

              John