Re: [S-R] Kniesen (Hniezdne) -Hobor - Raab

  • Larry Foy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 2002
      Your ancestors where friends with my ancestors ! My gr.grand parents came over same time from same town and lived in Philly ,also I have my gr.grandmother's baptismal 1872 and her god father is Joseph Hobor .Her name was Maria Magdelana "Scholz" My family lived in Phila.and my grandmother seemed to be friends with alot of people from that area of Europe.I WILL be visiting Slovakia someday soon ! Hard with 4 mos. old and 3 yrs. old. now.Any old address,s in philly?Area's ?
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 27, 2002
        Dear Mrs.Schulze,
        I just returned from a genealogical trip , that brought me also to Hniezdne, today. I stayed overnight in Jarabina, Strenk Pension. Good food is in Salas in Stara Lubovna, across the Petrol station. For you, some roads will be bad, narrow, bumpy, hilly landscape, some very dangerous overtakers.
        Do not expect too much from the local church. They do not have old church records. They are all stored in State Archives. In your case, you will have to go to Levoca, and study the records on films there.
        As I already wrote you, I have Hobor families, some are part of the Mike Strank Family Tree, in my data base.
        I also have all Hobor families from Jarabina from the 1869 Census.
        If I were you, I would consider having done at least some preliminary research in the archive, prior to your trip.
        Otherwise, it can take you a couple of days, sitting in the archive, especially, if you want to find some living relatives.Preliminary research would save you a lot of time and frustration.
        The landscape is too beautiful for not seeing it while in the archive.
        Sincerely,
        Vladimir Bohinc
        www.konekta.sk

        --- Ron Matviyak <amiak@...> wrote:
        > Susan,
        >
        > I just drove through Plavnica a few weeks ago. Yes,
        > you do want to take
        > some public transportation from Prague unless you
        > are used to driving in
        > European traffic and you can adapt to making three
        > lane roads out of two
        > lane rods on an impromptu basis. It is a hard 8
        > hours drive from Prague to
        > Plavnica and it is also criminal to pass by so many
        > beautiful places! When
        > you do get around to driving it, take your time and
        > enjoy it!
        >
        > For ease and time I would suggest lying from Prague
        > to Kosice or Poprad and
        > renting a car. Bratislava is still a fair drive
        > from Plavnica. You can
        > take trains or busses, and this will allow you to
        > mingle with the local
        > people as well. Ask yourself if you are a healthy
        > walker as well, and go
        > with good walking shoes if at all possible. Be
        > ready for Appalachian type
        > mountains if you leave the road system. It is a
        > beautiful area, so take as
        > much time as you can and enjoy it! If you do not
        > stay with relatives, there
        > are rooms in Lubovna Kupella and Stara Lubovna, not
        > too many km from the
        > village.
        >
        > Ah, hiring a driver that can also double as
        > translator is a good idea, as
        > you proposed.

      • Ron Matviyak
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 27, 2002
          Mary & Ginny,

          Here is a reference that seems to be a very good start at getting to know
          what to expect in Eruopean road signs. I will agree with Mary's assessment.
          Just remember to ALWAYS use your turn signal, and always right before left.
          We tend to neglect those in the US, and the right before left was driven
          home when a German friend clarified that a bicycle coming from the right on
          a bike path onto the road has priority over the cars!

          Now in Germany I always drive in the right lane & it is tough to imagine a
          clear left lane will suddenly be full of a car passing at 160mph (240kmh).
          On the other end, in another country on dark nights I drove in the center
          lane to avoid broken down cars and sleeping drunks in the curb lane.

          Give it some serious consideration and have a go! If you have a gold credit
          card that takes care of your extra insurance, so you do not get hit with
          that extra daily insurance rate. Crossing borders is no problem, just be
          sure the rental agreement specifies the Eastern countries you will drive
          into, and treasure that green insurance card!
        • Konekta
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
            Dear Mrs.Schulze,
            Your ancestors will surely not be confined to ony one village of Hniezdne.
            Here are the abstracts from the 1869 Census for Jarabina, that is close to Hniezdne;

            House #177
            Anna Chobor, *1808, widow
            Katarina Chobor,*1832
            Michal Chobor,*1834
            Maria Varsik,*1836, his wife
            Basil Chobor,*1860
            Tereza Chobor,*1864
            Basil Chobor,*1840
            Katarina Reday,*1850, his wife

            House # 176

            Jan Chobor,*1833
            Maria Zubricky,*1838, his wife
            Michal Chobor,*1859
            Julia Chobor,*1861
            Michal Chobor,*1847

            House #169

            Basil Chobor,*1812
            Maria Chobor,*1847, daughter
            Jan Chobor,*1854
            Lukac Chobor,*1863

            Chobor is the spelling you will find in old church records. To be pronounced as Hobor.
            All the Chobors above were born in Jarabina.
            Sincerely,
            Vladimir Bohinc
            www.konekta.sk