Re: Hungarian Help needed

  • John Matsko
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
      Duchodek Roku --

      My guess is it's the expiration date (year) of the person.

      John

    • MJESKO@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
        Hi again

        DUCHODEK ROKU may mean confirmation year.

        DUCH means spirit as in Holy Spirit and ROKU is a form of the word ROK
        or year.

        Will talk with my Slovak friends and see what they suggest.

        mark
      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
          I think that is a very good guess. It was a list of names and numbers, in
          columns. I will look at it more carefully and see if that makes sense. It
          is interesting that the Lutheran pastor wrote that bit in Slovak when he was
          so careful to write everything else in church Latin or Hungarian. There are
          extended bits of commentary in the baptismal records here and there, as if
          some unusual situation required explanation, or perhaps because some local
          landowner or official had a baby and the names of the important people in
          attendance were recorded. Well, I just got my introductory Slovak textbook,
          so some of the fog will lift eventually.

          Andrea

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
            Hi Andrea

            If the notes are in Hungarian, then the records are after 1850 or so.
            This was about the time that the Crown made Hungarian the official
            language of commerce and of recording all governmental procedures such
            as records of births, deaths, marriages etc.

            And the Hungarians wonder why we want Slovak the official language of
            commerce today!!!!

            mark
          • John Matsko
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
              At 08:51 PM 6/26/99 -0400, you wrote:
              >From: MJESKO@... (mark JESKO)
              >
              >Hi again
              >
              >DUCHODEK ROKU may mean confirmation year.

              Mark,

              Confirmation in Slovak is "birmovanie". I thought it might have something to
              do with death registerations but that is "zomrel�i". It may have something to
              do with the clergy:

              Slovensky Anglicky

              duchovensk� cleric
              duchovensk� cleric
              duchovensk� cleric
              duchovenstvo clergy
              duchovenstvo sacerdocy
              duchovenstvo ministry
              duchovia angels
              duchovn� pastorate
              duchovn� cleric
              duchovn� mor�lka spirit

              Czech = English

              duchod = income
              duchod = pension
              duchod = rent
              duchod (rocni) = annuity
              duchod (starobni) = old-age pension
              duchod (starobni, GB) = old age pension
              duchod (statni) = revenue
              duchodce = annuitant
              duchodce (penzista) = pensionary
              duchodce (penzista) = pensioner
              duchodova dan = assessment on income
              duchodovy urad = revenue
              duchody (penezni) = monetary incomes
              duchovensky = clerical
              duchovensky = ecclesiastical
              duchovenstvo = clergy
              duchovenstvo = ministry
              duchovni = Reverend
              duchovni = ecclesiastic
              duchovni = inward
              duchovni = priest
              duchovni = spiritual
              duchovni (hovor.) = parson
              duchovni (knez) = divine
              duchovni (nab.) = ghostly
              duchovni (nejnizsi, anglikansky, GB = deacon
              duchovni (obycejne anglikansky) = clergyman
              duchovni (presbytarianske neb nekon = minister
              duchovni (zkr.) = Rev. (Reverend)
              duchovni pece = cure
              duchovni urad = ministry
              duchovno = spirituality
              duchovnost = inwardness
              duchovnost = spirituality
              duchovy (netelesny) = unbodied
              duchovy (strasidelny) = spectral

              John

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 26, 1999
                No, the records are from the 18th century. They are mostly in Latin but I
                thought that I saw some Hungarian here and there, where the pastor wrote a
                longer note about something. There are also bits of Slovak. I have a lot
                more work to do on this microfilm so I can write down some of the text bits.

                > If the notes are in Hungarian, then the records are after 1850 or so.
                > This was about the time that the Crown made Hungarian the official
                > language of commerce and of recording all governmental procedures such
                > as records of births, deaths, marriages etc.
                >
                > And the Hungarians wonder why we want Slovak the official language of
                > commerce today!!!!
                >
                > mark

                > Who is the most visited e-mail list community Web Service?
                > http://www.onelist.com
                > ONElist.com - where more than 20 million e-mails are exchanged each day!

              • Joe Armata
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 28, 1999
                  About Duchodek Roku - today it's spelled Do~chodok Roku (an upside-
                  down v over the first o), meaning "Income for the Year". Who
                  gave how much to the church - I hope your ancestors come out OK! :^)

                  Joe Armata
                  joe@...

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 28, 1999
                    At 08:55 AM 6/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
                    >From: "Joe Armata" <JOE@...>
                    >
                    >About Duchodek Roku - today it's spelled Do~chodok Roku (an upside-
                    >down v over the first o), meaning "Income for the Year". Who
                    >gave how much to the church - I hope your ancestors come out OK! :^)

                    Hi Joe,

                    Thanks for the definition. I wondered if it had something to do with it after
                    finding the following in a Czech on-line dictionary:

                    duchod = income
                    duchod = pension
                    duchod = rent
                    duchod (rocni) = annuity