Re: [S-R] Kniesen (Hniezdne) -Hobor - Raab

  • ginny schulze
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
      Ron, thanks for your comments, however, this note is
      for you or anyone who has traveled in Slovakia. I am
      planning a trip next spring with my husband, sister
      and cousin to Hniezdne (Kniesen). We plan to fly into
      Berlin, spend 3 nights there (researching my husband's
      family as well as seeing the local sights), then
      renting a car to drive to Prague for one night, then
      on to Poprad or Tatranska Lomnica for 4 nights,
      touring Hniezdne and surrounding areas to research our
      roots. (Family surnames are Hobor and Raab, the local
      Catholic Church is St. Bartolomaeus) Our ancestors
      immigrated from Kniesen to Philadelphia around 1895.
      We plan to continue driving to Budapest and then fly
      home from Vienna. We only speak English, so please
      advise if we are getting in over our heads. Are the
      Hi-ways and roadside areas traveler friendly? We are
      all well traveled people, however, have never
      attempted a trip such as this. Would you suggest the
      train from Berlin, to each our our stops, all the way
      through to Vienna. All comments and suggestions are
      appreciated.

      Thanks, Ginny Schulze, Pennsylvania

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
    • John M.
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
        At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you wrote:
        >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
        >
        >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
        >
        >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm
        >
        >John
        If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser you can choose
        additional languages to use. I have set mine to read English, Slovak, and
        Czech. Go to "Tools" and then click on "Internet Options". Next click on
        "Languages" and then "Add" and select Slovak as one of your languages. I
        believe this will place the letters with diacritics on your screen. I
        don't think you have to download Slovak font to your computer to be able to
        see the Slovak letters but I do have Slovak font downloaded so I'm not
        certain if it is a necessary condition.

        John
      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
          Possible answer: Because they have a diacritical mark attached and the
          whole symbol cannot be printed with your system. There is a L' character,
          pronounced sort of as Ly -- must be a similar N character (I should know
          this but have not been keeping up with Slovak studies of late).

            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
              John:

              How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
              with the marks on the letters?

              Thanks.

              Doris
            • John M.
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                t several optionsAt 02:55 PM 6/27/02 -0400, you wrote:
                >John:
                >
                >How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
                >with the marks on the letters?
                >
                >Thanks.
                >
                >Doris

                I don't think you will have to download Slovak fonts. I'm not the best
                person to answer this question but I'll try. I use Windows 98. Go to "My
                Computer" and click on "Help" then type "language" in the search
                window. It will give you a few options. I believe you will have to do two
                things: 1. install multilanguage support, and 2. install the Slovak Qwerty
                keyboard option.

                1. First install multilanguage support. "You can use Windows to create
                documents in many different languages. However, to create documents in a
                Central European-, Cyrillic-, Baltic-, Greek-, or Turkish-based language,
                you must install multilanguage support." (Slovak falls into Central
                European in this case I believe). After clicking on the "to install
                mutilanguage support" option, follow the step by step instructions.

                2. Next do a search on "keyboard" an select the "to add a keyboard
                language or layout" option and follow the instructions. You want to
                install the Qwerty Slovak keyboard. To see where the diacritic fonts are
                located
                see http://www.macromedia.com/support/fontographer/ts/documents/slovak.htm
                and scroll down to Slovak normal and Slovak shift.

                When you complete the two items above you should have a blue square with En
                in white on it located in the system tray of your task bar. When you click
                on the En icon, a window will open showing your language options. You
                should have a Sk icon to choose. When you click on the Sk icon it will
                give you the Slovak Qwerty keyboard to use. When you reverse the
                procedure, it will take you back to an English keyboard.

                The fonts should work in Wordpad, MS Word, Outlook Express and I'm sure
                other word processing software. I've heard some say the fonts came in
                their word processing software and all they had to do was set their
                preferences or options to use them. Good Luck.

                John
              • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                  After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                    At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                    >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                    >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                    >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                    >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                    I hadn't tried printing a Slovak page from the Internet. I went
                    to: http://www.slposta.sk/default.php and printed it. The diacritic marks
                    printed. Are you set for Multilanguage and do you have the Qwerty Slovak
                    keyboard selected in Windows?

                    John
                  • John M.
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                      At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                      >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                      >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                      >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                      >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?
                      > "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you
                      > wrote:
                      > >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
                      > >
                      > >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
                      > >
                      > >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

                      I missed the site you mentioned initially (above) so I went to this site
                      and it printed with diacritics.

                      John