Re: [S-R] Why rectangles instead of "N" or "L?"

  • John M.
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
      At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:

      > Dear John,
      >I took a peek at the zip code sites, but I didn't do a test tonight.
      > I'm wondering why some of the letters don't come out for me on the
      > Slovak pages. The letter "N" and "L" sometimes appears as a rectangle.
      > I've seen this before but never thought to ask anyone....Does anyone have
      > an answer for me?
      >Susan

      Slovak uses diacritic marks on some of the letters in the alphabet. If you
      are not using Slovak font, you will see the "rectangles" and sometimes an
      "e", etc. in place of the letters.

      To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:

      http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

      John
    • ginny schulze
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
        Ron, thanks for your comments, however, this note is
        for you or anyone who has traveled in Slovakia. I am
        planning a trip next spring with my husband, sister
        and cousin to Hniezdne (Kniesen). We plan to fly into
        Berlin, spend 3 nights there (researching my husband's
        family as well as seeing the local sights), then
        renting a car to drive to Prague for one night, then
        on to Poprad or Tatranska Lomnica for 4 nights,
        touring Hniezdne and surrounding areas to research our
        roots. (Family surnames are Hobor and Raab, the local
        Catholic Church is St. Bartolomaeus) Our ancestors
        immigrated from Kniesen to Philadelphia around 1895.
        We plan to continue driving to Budapest and then fly
        home from Vienna. We only speak English, so please
        advise if we are getting in over our heads. Are the
        Hi-ways and roadside areas traveler friendly? We are
        all well traveled people, however, have never
        attempted a trip such as this. Would you suggest the
        train from Berlin, to each our our stops, all the way
        through to Vienna. All comments and suggestions are
        appreciated.

        Thanks, Ginny Schulze, Pennsylvania

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
      • John M.
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
          At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you wrote:
          >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
          >
          >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
          >
          >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm
          >
          >John
          If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser you can choose
          additional languages to use. I have set mine to read English, Slovak, and
          Czech. Go to "Tools" and then click on "Internet Options". Next click on
          "Languages" and then "Add" and select Slovak as one of your languages. I
          believe this will place the letters with diacritics on your screen. I
          don't think you have to download Slovak font to your computer to be able to
          see the Slovak letters but I do have Slovak font downloaded so I'm not
          certain if it is a necessary condition.

          John
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
            Possible answer: Because they have a diacritical mark attached and the
            whole symbol cannot be printed with your system. There is a L' character,
            pronounced sort of as Ly -- must be a similar N character (I should know
            this but have not been keeping up with Slovak studies of late).

              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                John:

                How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
                with the marks on the letters?

                Thanks.

                Doris
              • John M.
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                  t several optionsAt 02:55 PM 6/27/02 -0400, you wrote:
                  >John:
                  >
                  >How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
                  >with the marks on the letters?
                  >
                  >Thanks.
                  >
                  >Doris

                  I don't think you will have to download Slovak fonts. I'm not the best
                  person to answer this question but I'll try. I use Windows 98. Go to "My
                  Computer" and click on "Help" then type "language" in the search
                  window. It will give you a few options. I believe you will have to do two
                  things: 1. install multilanguage support, and 2. install the Slovak Qwerty
                  keyboard option.

                  1. First install multilanguage support. "You can use Windows to create
                  documents in many different languages. However, to create documents in a
                  Central European-, Cyrillic-, Baltic-, Greek-, or Turkish-based language,
                  you must install multilanguage support." (Slovak falls into Central
                  European in this case I believe). After clicking on the "to install
                  mutilanguage support" option, follow the step by step instructions.

                  2. Next do a search on "keyboard" an select the "to add a keyboard
                  language or layout" option and follow the instructions. You want to
                  install the Qwerty Slovak keyboard. To see where the diacritic fonts are
                  located
                  see http://www.macromedia.com/support/fontographer/ts/documents/slovak.htm
                  and scroll down to Slovak normal and Slovak shift.

                  When you complete the two items above you should have a blue square with En
                  in white on it located in the system tray of your task bar. When you click
                  on the En icon, a window will open showing your language options. You
                  should have a Sk icon to choose. When you click on the Sk icon it will
                  give you the Slovak Qwerty keyboard to use. When you reverse the
                  procedure, it will take you back to an English keyboard.

                  The fonts should work in Wordpad, MS Word, Outlook Express and I'm sure
                  other word processing software. I've heard some say the fonts came in
                  their word processing software and all they had to do was set their
                  preferences or options to use them. Good Luck.

                  John
                • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                    After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                      At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                      >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                      >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                      >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                      >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                      I hadn't tried printing a Slovak page from the Internet. I went
                      to: http://www.slposta.sk/default.php and printed it. The diacritic marks
                      printed. Are you set for Multilanguage and do you have the Qwerty Slovak
                      keyboard selected in Windows?

                      John
                    • John M.
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                        At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                        >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                        >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                        >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                        >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?
                        > "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you
                        > wrote:
                        > >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
                        > >
                        > >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
                        > >
                        > >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

                        I missed the site you mentioned initially (above) so I went to this site
                        and it printed with diacritics.

                        John