Why rectangles instead of "N" or "L?"

  • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
      Dear John,
      I took a peek at the zip code sites, but I didn't do a test tonight.
      I'm wondering why some of the letters don't come out for me on the Slovak pages. The letter "N" and "L" sometimes appears as a rectangle. I've seen this before but never thought to ask anyone....Does anyone have an answer for me?
      Susan
      "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 06:12 PM 6/24/02 -0700, you wrote:

      > Dear John,
      >Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone
      >book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't
      >work for me.
      >Susan

      Try http://www.slposta.sk/default.php

      Click on "On-Line and then click on "PSC obci a ulic"

      In the top window "N�zov obce": put in the town name
      In the window below "Ulica: (bez popisn�ho c�sla)": put in the street

      Click on Vyhladat

      If you want to see a snazzy welcome page try http://www.slposta.sk/ . It
      will take you to the first site I listed.

      John

    • John M.
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
        At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:

        > Dear John,
        >I took a peek at the zip code sites, but I didn't do a test tonight.
        > I'm wondering why some of the letters don't come out for me on the
        > Slovak pages. The letter "N" and "L" sometimes appears as a rectangle.
        > I've seen this before but never thought to ask anyone....Does anyone have
        > an answer for me?
        >Susan

        Slovak uses diacritic marks on some of the letters in the alphabet. If you
        are not using Slovak font, you will see the "rectangles" and sometimes an
        "e", etc. in place of the letters.

        To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:

        http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

        John
      • ginny schulze
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
          Ron, thanks for your comments, however, this note is
          for you or anyone who has traveled in Slovakia. I am
          planning a trip next spring with my husband, sister
          and cousin to Hniezdne (Kniesen). We plan to fly into
          Berlin, spend 3 nights there (researching my husband's
          family as well as seeing the local sights), then
          renting a car to drive to Prague for one night, then
          on to Poprad or Tatranska Lomnica for 4 nights,
          touring Hniezdne and surrounding areas to research our
          roots. (Family surnames are Hobor and Raab, the local
          Catholic Church is St. Bartolomaeus) Our ancestors
          immigrated from Kniesen to Philadelphia around 1895.
          We plan to continue driving to Budapest and then fly
          home from Vienna. We only speak English, so please
          advise if we are getting in over our heads. Are the
          Hi-ways and roadside areas traveler friendly? We are
          all well traveled people, however, have never
          attempted a trip such as this. Would you suggest the
          train from Berlin, to each our our stops, all the way
          through to Vienna. All comments and suggestions are
          appreciated.

          Thanks, Ginny Schulze, Pennsylvania

          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
        • John M.
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
            At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you wrote:
            >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
            >
            >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
            >
            >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm
            >
            >John
            If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser you can choose
            additional languages to use. I have set mine to read English, Slovak, and
            Czech. Go to "Tools" and then click on "Internet Options". Next click on
            "Languages" and then "Add" and select Slovak as one of your languages. I
            believe this will place the letters with diacritics on your screen. I
            don't think you have to download Slovak font to your computer to be able to
            see the Slovak letters but I do have Slovak font downloaded so I'm not
            certain if it is a necessary condition.

            John
          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
              Possible answer: Because they have a diacritical mark attached and the
              whole symbol cannot be printed with your system. There is a L' character,
              pronounced sort of as Ly -- must be a similar N character (I should know
              this but have not been keeping up with Slovak studies of late).

                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                  John:

                  How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
                  with the marks on the letters?

                  Thanks.

                  Doris
                • John M.
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                    t several optionsAt 02:55 PM 6/27/02 -0400, you wrote:
                    >John:
                    >
                    >How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
                    >with the marks on the letters?
                    >
                    >Thanks.
                    >
                    >Doris

                    I don't think you will have to download Slovak fonts. I'm not the best
                    person to answer this question but I'll try. I use Windows 98. Go to "My
                    Computer" and click on "Help" then type "language" in the search
                    window. It will give you a few options. I believe you will have to do two
                    things: 1. install multilanguage support, and 2. install the Slovak Qwerty
                    keyboard option.

                    1. First install multilanguage support. "You can use Windows to create
                    documents in many different languages. However, to create documents in a
                    Central European-, Cyrillic-, Baltic-, Greek-, or Turkish-based language,
                    you must install multilanguage support." (Slovak falls into Central
                    European in this case I believe). After clicking on the "to install
                    mutilanguage support" option, follow the step by step instructions.

                    2. Next do a search on "keyboard" an select the "to add a keyboard
                    language or layout" option and follow the instructions. You want to
                    install the Qwerty Slovak keyboard. To see where the diacritic fonts are
                    located
                    see http://www.macromedia.com/support/fontographer/ts/documents/slovak.htm
                    and scroll down to Slovak normal and Slovak shift.

                    When you complete the two items above you should have a blue square with En
                    in white on it located in the system tray of your task bar. When you click
                    on the En icon, a window will open showing your language options. You
                    should have a Sk icon to choose. When you click on the Sk icon it will
                    give you the Slovak Qwerty keyboard to use. When you reverse the
                    procedure, it will take you back to an English keyboard.

                    The fonts should work in Wordpad, MS Word, Outlook Express and I'm sure
                    other word processing software. I've heard some say the fonts came in
                    their word processing software and all they had to do was set their
                    preferences or options to use them. Good Luck.

                    John
                  • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                      After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                        At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                        >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                        >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                        >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                        >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                        I hadn't tried printing a Slovak page from the Internet. I went
                        to: http://www.slposta.sk/default.php and printed it. The diacritic marks
                        printed. Are you set for Multilanguage and do you have the Qwerty Slovak
                        keyboard selected in Windows?

                        John
                      • John M.
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                          At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                          >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                          >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                          >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                          >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?
                          > "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you
                          > wrote:
                          > >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
                          > >
                          > >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
                          > >
                          > >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

                          I missed the site you mentioned initially (above) so I went to this site
                          and it printed with diacritics.

                          John