Re: [S-R] More for the Plavnica message

  • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 24 6:12 PM
      Dear John,
      Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't work for me.
      Susan

      "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 11:00 AM 6/22/02 -0700, you wrote:

      > Dear Gil,
      >Thank you very much for the helpful information. Could you tell me how to
      >access the information on that site?

      In the event Gil is busy:

      Subject: Use These for Phone and Postal Code

      http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html SK phone directory

      Click on the map of Slovakia - Vsetky stanice v SR and then follow
      instructions below. Also, where it says Keyword, if you click on the
      "branz^ovnik" button on the bottom it list key words such as
      "ambulancia". If you put the keyword in and the town, it will list all the
      "ambulancia" (out patient clinics) in the town.

      You don't have to use diacritic marks. If you're unsure of the spelling in
      a name of person or town, try the first 3 letters of the name or town or
      both to get a larger selection.

      N�zov alebo priezvisko* - Put in the surname, at least 3 letters

      Kl�c^ov� slovo* - Keyword (means - Ako kl�cov� slovo m�zete pouzit niektor�
      heslo z branzovn�ka. - which I didn't translate because I don't use it. I
      leave it blank)

      Ulica - Street - leave blank unless known

      C�slo domu - House number if known

      Mesto* - Town - must have at least the first three letters of the town. At
      one time you could use just one and run the alphabet.

      Smerov� telef�nne c�slo* = Area code leave blank unless known

      vyhl'adat' = find

      Click on the highlighted names to get the full address and phone numbers.

      vymazat' = erase

      Predch�zaj�cich 20 z�znamov = first 20 names

      D'als^�ch 20 z�znamov = next 20 names

      Zac^iatok str�nky = beginning page

      spat' = back or return
      **********
      For postal codes use:

      http://www.slposta.sk/online/hlpsc.htm

      N�zov obce: Town name
      Ulica: Street, if applicable

      Good luck.

      John

    • John M.
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 24 8:49 PM
        At 06:12 PM 6/24/02 -0700, you wrote:

        > Dear John,
        >Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone
        >book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't
        >work for me.
        >Susan

        Try http://www.slposta.sk/default.php

        Click on "On-Line and then click on "PSC obci a ulic"

        In the top window "Názov obce": put in the town name
        In the window below "Ulica: (bez popisného císla)": put in the street

        Click on Vyhladat

        If you want to see a snazzy welcome page try http://www.slposta.sk/ . It
        will take you to the first site I listed.

        John
      • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 26 6:48 PM
          Dear John,
          I took a peek at the zip code sites, but I didn't do a test tonight.
          I'm wondering why some of the letters don't come out for me on the Slovak pages. The letter "N" and "L" sometimes appears as a rectangle. I've seen this before but never thought to ask anyone....Does anyone have an answer for me?
          Susan
          "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 06:12 PM 6/24/02 -0700, you wrote:

          > Dear John,
          >Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone
          >book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't
          >work for me.
          >Susan

          Try http://www.slposta.sk/default.php

          Click on "On-Line and then click on "PSC obci a ulic"

          In the top window "N�zov obce": put in the town name
          In the window below "Ulica: (bez popisn�ho c�sla)": put in the street

          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 26 7:16 PM
            At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:

            > Dear John,
            >I took a peek at the zip code sites, but I didn't do a test tonight.
            > I'm wondering why some of the letters don't come out for me on the
            > Slovak pages. The letter "N" and "L" sometimes appears as a rectangle.
            > I've seen this before but never thought to ask anyone....Does anyone have
            > an answer for me?
            >Susan

            Slovak uses diacritic marks on some of the letters in the alphabet. If you
            are not using Slovak font, you will see the "rectangles" and sometimes an
            "e", etc. in place of the letters.

            To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:

            http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

            John
          • ginny schulze
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 26 7:21 PM
              Ron, thanks for your comments, however, this note is
              for you or anyone who has traveled in Slovakia. I am
              planning a trip next spring with my husband, sister
              and cousin to Hniezdne (Kniesen). We plan to fly into
              Berlin, spend 3 nights there (researching my husband's
              family as well as seeing the local sights), then
              renting a car to drive to Prague for one night, then
              on to Poprad or Tatranska Lomnica for 4 nights,
              touring Hniezdne and surrounding areas to research our
              roots. (Family surnames are Hobor and Raab, the local
              Catholic Church is St. Bartolomaeus) Our ancestors
              immigrated from Kniesen to Philadelphia around 1895.
              We plan to continue driving to Budapest and then fly
              home from Vienna. We only speak English, so please
              advise if we are getting in over our heads. Are the
              Hi-ways and roadside areas traveler friendly? We are
              all well traveled people, however, have never
              attempted a trip such as this. Would you suggest the
              train from Berlin, to each our our stops, all the way
              through to Vienna. All comments and suggestions are
              appreciated.

              Thanks, Ginny Schulze, Pennsylvania

              http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
            • John M.
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 26 7:33 PM
                At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you wrote:
                >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
                >
                >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
                >
                >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm
                >
                >John
                If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser you can choose
                additional languages to use. I have set mine to read English, Slovak, and
                Czech. Go to "Tools" and then click on "Internet Options". Next click on
                "Languages" and then "Add" and select Slovak as one of your languages. I
                believe this will place the letters with diacritics on your screen. I
                don't think you have to download Slovak font to your computer to be able to
                see the Slovak letters but I do have Slovak font downloaded so I'm not
                certain if it is a necessary condition.

                John
              • Andrea Vangor
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 26 9:12 PM
                  Possible answer: Because they have a diacritical mark attached and the
                  whole symbol cannot be printed with your system. There is a L' character,
                  pronounced sort of as Ly -- must be a similar N character (I should know
                  this but have not been keeping up with Slovak studies of late).

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 27 11:55 AM
                      John:

                      How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
                      with the marks on the letters?

                      Thanks.

                      Doris
                    • John M.
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 27 4:16 PM
                        t several optionsAt 02:55 PM 6/27/02 -0400, you wrote:
                        >John:
                        >
                        >How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
                        >with the marks on the letters?
                        >
                        >Thanks.
                        >
                        >Doris

                        I don't think you will have to download Slovak fonts. I'm not the best
                        person to answer this question but I'll try. I use Windows 98. Go to "My
                        Computer" and click on "Help" then type "language" in the search
                        window. It will give you a few options. I believe you will have to do two
                        things: 1. install multilanguage support, and 2. install the Slovak Qwerty
                        keyboard option.

                        1. First install multilanguage support. "You can use Windows to create
                        documents in many different languages. However, to create documents in a
                        Central European-, Cyrillic-, Baltic-, Greek-, or Turkish-based language,
                        you must install multilanguage support." (Slovak falls into Central
                        European in this case I believe). After clicking on the "to install
                        mutilanguage support" option, follow the step by step instructions.

                        2. Next do a search on "keyboard" an select the "to add a keyboard
                        language or layout" option and follow the instructions. You want to
                        install the Qwerty Slovak keyboard. To see where the diacritic fonts are
                        located
                        see http://www.macromedia.com/support/fontographer/ts/documents/slovak.htm
                        and scroll down to Slovak normal and Slovak shift.

                        When you complete the two items above you should have a blue square with En
                        in white on it located in the system tray of your task bar. When you click
                        on the En icon, a window will open showing your language options. You
                        should have a Sk icon to choose. When you click on the Sk icon it will
                        give you the Slovak Qwerty keyboard to use. When you reverse the
                        procedure, it will take you back to an English keyboard.

                        The fonts should work in Wordpad, MS Word, Outlook Express and I'm sure
                        other word processing software. I've heard some say the fonts came in
                        their word processing software and all they had to do was set their
                        preferences or options to use them. Good Luck.

                        John
                      • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 27 6:46 PM
                          After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 27 7:11 PM
                            At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                            >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                            >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                            >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                            >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                            I hadn't tried printing a Slovak page from the Internet. I went
                            to: http://www.slposta.sk/default.php and printed it. The diacritic marks
                            printed. Are you set for Multilanguage and do you have the Qwerty Slovak
                            keyboard selected in Windows?

                            John
                          • John M.
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 27 7:18 PM
                              At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                              >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                              >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                              >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                              >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?
                              > "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you
                              > wrote:
                              > >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
                              > >
                              > >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
                              > >
                              > >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

                              I missed the site you mentioned initially (above) so I went to this site
                              and it printed with diacritics.

                              John