Re: [S-R] More for the Plavnica message

  • Gilbert Kubancsek
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 23, 2002
      Hello Susan.

      Thanks for your message. I don�t read, write or speak Slovak either. I got some help on using the telephone directory from a friend.

      Here are some instructions for your use;

      Go to: http://www.zoznamst.sk

      Click on: V�etky stanice v SR

      The V�etky stanice v SR screen should appear.

      In the N�yov alebo priezvisko box enter [ family name ] e.g. Sekelsk�

      In the Mesto box enter: [city, town or village] e.g. Plavnica

      No entrees are required in the other boxes.

      Click on: Vyhladat

      A screen should appear with four listings of Sekelsk� family members.

      Click on any name and a screen will appear wirh name, address, & telephone number of that person.

      If there are no persons in a location with the name you entered, this message will appear: Nen�jden� �iadny z�znam. Try a different name or location.

      I hope this helps.

      Good Luck

      Gil Kubancsek

      Susan Friedhaber-Hard <barclaypenn@...> wrote:

      Dear Gil,
      Thank you very much for the helpful information. Could you tell me how to access the information on that site? I do not speak or read Slovak and when I tried to click on "English Version" the other evening, I was not able to access it.
      Susan
      Gilbert Kubancsek <kubangil@...> wrote:
      To Susan.
      The Slovak telephone book includes the following listings:
      Stefan Pruzinsky, Vladimir Pruzinsky

      Frantisek Sekelsky, Jozef Sekelsky, Miroslav Sekelsky, Stefan Sekelsky

      Names, addresses & telephone numbers can be found at http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html

      Hope this helps.

      Gil Kubancsek
      barclaypenn <barclaypenn@...> wrote:
      I'm new to this Listserv and in my haste I forgot a few things.
      I need to add that Plavnica is in Slovakia, near the Polish border.

      I need to add that my name is Susan (named after my grandmother) and
      that I live in Western New York.

      Please see my previous message for the rest:
      Searching for roots on the names Pruzinsky & Lynch (Lynka) &
      McCluskey & Sekelsky & Parana all who were originally from Plavnica.

      Thank you.

    • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 24, 2002
        Dear John,
        Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't work for me.
        Susan

        "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 11:00 AM 6/22/02 -0700, you wrote:

        > Dear Gil,
        >Thank you very much for the helpful information. Could you tell me how to
        >access the information on that site?

        In the event Gil is busy:

        Subject: Use These for Phone and Postal Code

        http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html SK phone directory

        Click on the map of Slovakia - Vsetky stanice v SR and then follow
        instructions below. Also, where it says Keyword, if you click on the
        "branz^ovnik" button on the bottom it list key words such as
        "ambulancia". If you put the keyword in and the town, it will list all the
        "ambulancia" (out patient clinics) in the town.

        You don't have to use diacritic marks. If you're unsure of the spelling in
        a name of person or town, try the first 3 letters of the name or town or
        both to get a larger selection.

        N�zov alebo priezvisko* - Put in the surname, at least 3 letters

        Kl�c^ov� slovo* - Keyword (means - Ako kl�cov� slovo m�zete pouzit niektor�
        heslo z branzovn�ka. - which I didn't translate because I don't use it. I
        leave it blank)

        Ulica - Street - leave blank unless known

        C�slo domu - House number if known

        Mesto* - Town - must have at least the first three letters of the town. At
        one time you could use just one and run the alphabet.

        Smerov� telef�nne c�slo* = Area code leave blank unless known

        vyhl'adat' = find

        Click on the highlighted names to get the full address and phone numbers.

        vymazat' = erase

        Predch�zaj�cich 20 z�znamov = first 20 names

        D'als^�ch 20 z�znamov = next 20 names

        Zac^iatok str�nky = beginning page

        spat' = back or return
        **********
        For postal codes use:

        http://www.slposta.sk/online/hlpsc.htm

        N�zov obce: Town name
        Ulica: Street, if applicable

        Good luck.

        John

      • John M.
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 24, 2002
          At 06:12 PM 6/24/02 -0700, you wrote:

          > Dear John,
          >Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone
          >book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't
          >work for me.
          >Susan

          Try http://www.slposta.sk/default.php

          Click on "On-Line and then click on "PSC obci a ulic"

          In the top window "Názov obce": put in the town name
          In the window below "Ulica: (bez popisného císla)": put in the street

          Click on Vyhladat

          If you want to see a snazzy welcome page try http://www.slposta.sk/ . It
          will take you to the first site I listed.

          John
        • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
            Dear John,
            I took a peek at the zip code sites, but I didn't do a test tonight.
            I'm wondering why some of the letters don't come out for me on the Slovak pages. The letter "N" and "L" sometimes appears as a rectangle. I've seen this before but never thought to ask anyone....Does anyone have an answer for me?
            Susan
            "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 06:12 PM 6/24/02 -0700, you wrote:

            > Dear John,
            >Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone
            >book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't
            >work for me.
            >Susan

            Try http://www.slposta.sk/default.php

            Click on "On-Line and then click on "PSC obci a ulic"

            In the top window "N�zov obce": put in the town name
            In the window below "Ulica: (bez popisn�ho c�sla)": put in the street

            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
              At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:

              > Dear John,
              >I took a peek at the zip code sites, but I didn't do a test tonight.
              > I'm wondering why some of the letters don't come out for me on the
              > Slovak pages. The letter "N" and "L" sometimes appears as a rectangle.
              > I've seen this before but never thought to ask anyone....Does anyone have
              > an answer for me?
              >Susan

              Slovak uses diacritic marks on some of the letters in the alphabet. If you
              are not using Slovak font, you will see the "rectangles" and sometimes an
              "e", etc. in place of the letters.

              To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:

              http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

              John
            • ginny schulze
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                Ron, thanks for your comments, however, this note is
                for you or anyone who has traveled in Slovakia. I am
                planning a trip next spring with my husband, sister
                and cousin to Hniezdne (Kniesen). We plan to fly into
                Berlin, spend 3 nights there (researching my husband's
                family as well as seeing the local sights), then
                renting a car to drive to Prague for one night, then
                on to Poprad or Tatranska Lomnica for 4 nights,
                touring Hniezdne and surrounding areas to research our
                roots. (Family surnames are Hobor and Raab, the local
                Catholic Church is St. Bartolomaeus) Our ancestors
                immigrated from Kniesen to Philadelphia around 1895.
                We plan to continue driving to Budapest and then fly
                home from Vienna. We only speak English, so please
                advise if we are getting in over our heads. Are the
                Hi-ways and roadside areas traveler friendly? We are
                all well traveled people, however, have never
                attempted a trip such as this. Would you suggest the
                train from Berlin, to each our our stops, all the way
                through to Vienna. All comments and suggestions are
                appreciated.

                Thanks, Ginny Schulze, Pennsylvania

                http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
              • John M.
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                  At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you wrote:
                  >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
                  >
                  >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
                  >
                  >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm
                  >
                  >John
                  If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser you can choose
                  additional languages to use. I have set mine to read English, Slovak, and
                  Czech. Go to "Tools" and then click on "Internet Options". Next click on
                  "Languages" and then "Add" and select Slovak as one of your languages. I
                  believe this will place the letters with diacritics on your screen. I
                  don't think you have to download Slovak font to your computer to be able to
                  see the Slovak letters but I do have Slovak font downloaded so I'm not
                  certain if it is a necessary condition.

                  John
                • Andrea Vangor
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                    Possible answer: Because they have a diacritical mark attached and the
                    whole symbol cannot be printed with your system. There is a L' character,
                    pronounced sort of as Ly -- must be a similar N character (I should know
                    this but have not been keeping up with Slovak studies of late).

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                        John:

                        How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
                        with the marks on the letters?

                        Thanks.

                        Doris
                      • John M.
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                          t several optionsAt 02:55 PM 6/27/02 -0400, you wrote:
                          >John:
                          >
                          >How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
                          >with the marks on the letters?
                          >
                          >Thanks.
                          >
                          >Doris

                          I don't think you will have to download Slovak fonts. I'm not the best
                          person to answer this question but I'll try. I use Windows 98. Go to "My
                          Computer" and click on "Help" then type "language" in the search
                          window. It will give you a few options. I believe you will have to do two
                          things: 1. install multilanguage support, and 2. install the Slovak Qwerty
                          keyboard option.

                          1. First install multilanguage support. "You can use Windows to create
                          documents in many different languages. However, to create documents in a
                          Central European-, Cyrillic-, Baltic-, Greek-, or Turkish-based language,
                          you must install multilanguage support." (Slovak falls into Central
                          European in this case I believe). After clicking on the "to install
                          mutilanguage support" option, follow the step by step instructions.

                          2. Next do a search on "keyboard" an select the "to add a keyboard
                          language or layout" option and follow the instructions. You want to
                          install the Qwerty Slovak keyboard. To see where the diacritic fonts are
                          located
                          see http://www.macromedia.com/support/fontographer/ts/documents/slovak.htm
                          and scroll down to Slovak normal and Slovak shift.

                          When you complete the two items above you should have a blue square with En
                          in white on it located in the system tray of your task bar. When you click
                          on the En icon, a window will open showing your language options. You
                          should have a Sk icon to choose. When you click on the Sk icon it will
                          give you the Slovak Qwerty keyboard to use. When you reverse the
                          procedure, it will take you back to an English keyboard.

                          The fonts should work in Wordpad, MS Word, Outlook Express and I'm sure
                          other word processing software. I've heard some say the fonts came in
                          their word processing software and all they had to do was set their
                          preferences or options to use them. Good Luck.

                          John
                        • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                            After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                              At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                              >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                              >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                              >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                              >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                              I hadn't tried printing a Slovak page from the Internet. I went
                              to: http://www.slposta.sk/default.php and printed it. The diacritic marks
                              printed. Are you set for Multilanguage and do you have the Qwerty Slovak
                              keyboard selected in Windows?

                              John
                            • John M.
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                                >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                                >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                                >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                                >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?
                                > "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you
                                > wrote:
                                > >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
                                > >
                                > >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
                                > >
                                > >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

                                I missed the site you mentioned initially (above) so I went to this site
                                and it printed with diacritics.

                                John