Re: [S-R] More for the Plavnica message

  • barclaypenn
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 23, 2002
      Dear Ron,
      Thank you for the travel information. All of will be very useful to
      me.
      Susan

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Ron Matviyak" <amiak@a...> wrote:
      > Susan,
      >
      > I just drove through Plavnica a few weeks ago. Yes, you do want to
      take
      > some public transportation from Prague unless you are used to
      driving in
      > European traffic and you can adapt to making three lane roads out
      of two
      > lane rods on an impromptu basis. It is a hard 8 hours drive from
      Prague to
      > Plavnica and it is also criminal to pass by so many beautiful
      places! When
      > you do get around to driving it, take your time and enjoy it!
      >
      > For ease and time I would suggest lying from Prague to Kosice or
      Poprad and
      > renting a car. Bratislava is still a fair drive from Plavnica.
      You can
      > take trains or busses, and this will allow you to mingle with the
      local
      > people as well. Ask yourself if you are a healthy walker as well,
      and go
      > with good walking shoes if at all possible. Be ready for
      Appalachian type
      > mountains if you leave the road system. It is a beautiful area, so
      take as
      > much time as you can and enjoy it! If you do not stay with
      relatives, there
      > are rooms in Lubovna Kupella and Stara Lubovna, not too many km
      from the
      > village.
      >
      > Ah, hiring a driver that can also double as translator is a good
      idea, as
      > you proposed.

      Plavnica.

      > > > Thank you.
      > > >

      > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Service.

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Gilbert Kubancsek
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 23, 2002
        Hello Susan.

        Thanks for your message. I don�t read, write or speak Slovak either. I got some help on using the telephone directory from a friend.

        Here are some instructions for your use;

        Go to: http://www.zoznamst.sk

        Click on: V�etky stanice v SR

        The V�etky stanice v SR screen should appear.

        In the N�yov alebo priezvisko box enter [ family name ] e.g. Sekelsk�

        In the Mesto box enter: [city, town or village] e.g. Plavnica

        No entrees are required in the other boxes.

        Click on: Vyhladat

        A screen should appear with four listings of Sekelsk� family members.

        Click on any name and a screen will appear wirh name, address, & telephone number of that person.

        If there are no persons in a location with the name you entered, this message will appear: Nen�jden� �iadny z�znam. Try a different name or location.

        I hope this helps.

        Good Luck

        Gil Kubancsek

        Susan Friedhaber-Hard <barclaypenn@...> wrote:

        Dear Gil,
        Thank you very much for the helpful information. Could you tell me how to access the information on that site? I do not speak or read Slovak and when I tried to click on "English Version" the other evening, I was not able to access it.
        Susan
        Gilbert Kubancsek <kubangil@...> wrote:
        To Susan.
        The Slovak telephone book includes the following listings:
        Stefan Pruzinsky, Vladimir Pruzinsky

        Frantisek Sekelsky, Jozef Sekelsky, Miroslav Sekelsky, Stefan Sekelsky

        Names, addresses & telephone numbers can be found at http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html

        Hope this helps.

        Gil Kubancsek
        barclaypenn <barclaypenn@...> wrote:
        I'm new to this Listserv and in my haste I forgot a few things.
        I need to add that Plavnica is in Slovakia, near the Polish border.

        I need to add that my name is Susan (named after my grandmother) and
        that I live in Western New York.

        Please see my previous message for the rest:
        Searching for roots on the names Pruzinsky & Lynch (Lynka) &
        McCluskey & Sekelsky & Parana all who were originally from Plavnica.

        Thank you.

      • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 24, 2002
          Dear John,
          Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't work for me.
          Susan

          "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 11:00 AM 6/22/02 -0700, you wrote:

          > Dear Gil,
          >Thank you very much for the helpful information. Could you tell me how to
          >access the information on that site?

          In the event Gil is busy:

          Subject: Use These for Phone and Postal Code

          http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html SK phone directory

          Click on the map of Slovakia - Vsetky stanice v SR and then follow
          instructions below. Also, where it says Keyword, if you click on the
          "branz^ovnik" button on the bottom it list key words such as
          "ambulancia". If you put the keyword in and the town, it will list all the
          "ambulancia" (out patient clinics) in the town.

          You don't have to use diacritic marks. If you're unsure of the spelling in
          a name of person or town, try the first 3 letters of the name or town or
          both to get a larger selection.

          N�zov alebo priezvisko* - Put in the surname, at least 3 letters

          Kl�c^ov� slovo* - Keyword (means - Ako kl�cov� slovo m�zete pouzit niektor�
          heslo z branzovn�ka. - which I didn't translate because I don't use it. I
          leave it blank)

          Ulica - Street - leave blank unless known

          C�slo domu - House number if known

          Mesto* - Town - must have at least the first three letters of the town. At
          one time you could use just one and run the alphabet.

          Smerov� telef�nne c�slo* = Area code leave blank unless known

          vyhl'adat' = find

          Click on the highlighted names to get the full address and phone numbers.

          vymazat' = erase

          Predch�zaj�cich 20 z�znamov = first 20 names

          D'als^�ch 20 z�znamov = next 20 names

          Zac^iatok str�nky = beginning page

          spat' = back or return
          **********
          For postal codes use:

          http://www.slposta.sk/online/hlpsc.htm

          N�zov obce: Town name
          Ulica: Street, if applicable

          Good luck.

          John

        • John M.
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 24, 2002
            At 06:12 PM 6/24/02 -0700, you wrote:

            > Dear John,
            >Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone
            >book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't
            >work for me.
            >Susan

            Try http://www.slposta.sk/default.php

            Click on "On-Line and then click on "PSC obci a ulic"

            In the top window "Názov obce": put in the town name
            In the window below "Ulica: (bez popisného císla)": put in the street

            Click on Vyhladat

            If you want to see a snazzy welcome page try http://www.slposta.sk/ . It
            will take you to the first site I listed.

            John
          • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
              Dear John,
              I took a peek at the zip code sites, but I didn't do a test tonight.
              I'm wondering why some of the letters don't come out for me on the Slovak pages. The letter "N" and "L" sometimes appears as a rectangle. I've seen this before but never thought to ask anyone....Does anyone have an answer for me?
              Susan
              "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 06:12 PM 6/24/02 -0700, you wrote:

              > Dear John,
              >Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone
              >book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't
              >work for me.
              >Susan

              Try http://www.slposta.sk/default.php

              Click on "On-Line and then click on "PSC obci a ulic"

              In the top window "N�zov obce": put in the town name
              In the window below "Ulica: (bez popisn�ho c�sla)": put in the street

              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:

                > Dear John,
                >I took a peek at the zip code sites, but I didn't do a test tonight.
                > I'm wondering why some of the letters don't come out for me on the
                > Slovak pages. The letter "N" and "L" sometimes appears as a rectangle.
                > I've seen this before but never thought to ask anyone....Does anyone have
                > an answer for me?
                >Susan

                Slovak uses diacritic marks on some of the letters in the alphabet. If you
                are not using Slovak font, you will see the "rectangles" and sometimes an
                "e", etc. in place of the letters.

                To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:

                http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

                John
              • ginny schulze
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                  Ron, thanks for your comments, however, this note is
                  for you or anyone who has traveled in Slovakia. I am
                  planning a trip next spring with my husband, sister
                  and cousin to Hniezdne (Kniesen). We plan to fly into
                  Berlin, spend 3 nights there (researching my husband's
                  family as well as seeing the local sights), then
                  renting a car to drive to Prague for one night, then
                  on to Poprad or Tatranska Lomnica for 4 nights,
                  touring Hniezdne and surrounding areas to research our
                  roots. (Family surnames are Hobor and Raab, the local
                  Catholic Church is St. Bartolomaeus) Our ancestors
                  immigrated from Kniesen to Philadelphia around 1895.
                  We plan to continue driving to Budapest and then fly
                  home from Vienna. We only speak English, so please
                  advise if we are getting in over our heads. Are the
                  Hi-ways and roadside areas traveler friendly? We are
                  all well traveled people, however, have never
                  attempted a trip such as this. Would you suggest the
                  train from Berlin, to each our our stops, all the way
                  through to Vienna. All comments and suggestions are
                  appreciated.

                  Thanks, Ginny Schulze, Pennsylvania

                  http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                • John M.
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                    At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you wrote:
                    >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
                    >
                    >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
                    >
                    >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm
                    >
                    >John
                    If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser you can choose
                    additional languages to use. I have set mine to read English, Slovak, and
                    Czech. Go to "Tools" and then click on "Internet Options". Next click on
                    "Languages" and then "Add" and select Slovak as one of your languages. I
                    believe this will place the letters with diacritics on your screen. I
                    don't think you have to download Slovak font to your computer to be able to
                    see the Slovak letters but I do have Slovak font downloaded so I'm not
                    certain if it is a necessary condition.

                    John
                  • Andrea Vangor
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                      Possible answer: Because they have a diacritical mark attached and the
                      whole symbol cannot be printed with your system. There is a L' character,
                      pronounced sort of as Ly -- must be a similar N character (I should know
                      this but have not been keeping up with Slovak studies of late).

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                          John:

                          How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
                          with the marks on the letters?

                          Thanks.

                          Doris
                        • John M.
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                            t several optionsAt 02:55 PM 6/27/02 -0400, you wrote:
                            >John:
                            >
                            >How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
                            >with the marks on the letters?
                            >
                            >Thanks.
                            >
                            >Doris

                            I don't think you will have to download Slovak fonts. I'm not the best
                            person to answer this question but I'll try. I use Windows 98. Go to "My
                            Computer" and click on "Help" then type "language" in the search
                            window. It will give you a few options. I believe you will have to do two
                            things: 1. install multilanguage support, and 2. install the Slovak Qwerty
                            keyboard option.

                            1. First install multilanguage support. "You can use Windows to create
                            documents in many different languages. However, to create documents in a
                            Central European-, Cyrillic-, Baltic-, Greek-, or Turkish-based language,
                            you must install multilanguage support." (Slovak falls into Central
                            European in this case I believe). After clicking on the "to install
                            mutilanguage support" option, follow the step by step instructions.

                            2. Next do a search on "keyboard" an select the "to add a keyboard
                            language or layout" option and follow the instructions. You want to
                            install the Qwerty Slovak keyboard. To see where the diacritic fonts are
                            located
                            see http://www.macromedia.com/support/fontographer/ts/documents/slovak.htm
                            and scroll down to Slovak normal and Slovak shift.

                            When you complete the two items above you should have a blue square with En
                            in white on it located in the system tray of your task bar. When you click
                            on the En icon, a window will open showing your language options. You
                            should have a Sk icon to choose. When you click on the Sk icon it will
                            give you the Slovak Qwerty keyboard to use. When you reverse the
                            procedure, it will take you back to an English keyboard.

                            The fonts should work in Wordpad, MS Word, Outlook Express and I'm sure
                            other word processing software. I've heard some say the fonts came in
                            their word processing software and all they had to do was set their
                            preferences or options to use them. Good Luck.

                            John
                          • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                              After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                                >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                                >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                                >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                                >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                                I hadn't tried printing a Slovak page from the Internet. I went
                                to: http://www.slposta.sk/default.php and printed it. The diacritic marks
                                printed. Are you set for Multilanguage and do you have the Qwerty Slovak
                                keyboard selected in Windows?

                                John
                              • John M.
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                  At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                                  >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                                  >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                                  >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                                  >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?
                                  > "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
                                  > >
                                  > >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

                                  I missed the site you mentioned initially (above) so I went to this site
                                  and it printed with diacritics.

                                  John