Re: New to the List

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 10, 1999
      Hi Thelma and welcome to the list....

      How wonderful that you were able to visit those places.....
      unfortunately what is now the Czech Republic have not allowed their
      registers in the Archives to be filmed by the LDS church as the Slovak
      Republic has (tho I do know that organizations here in the US are still
      always trying to convince them to do so), therefore any confirmation of
      those dates or further research would need to go through their Archive
      research service, called Archivex.

      You can read about it and even print out a form (tho I have always just
      sent a clear letter in English without a problem as long as you follow
      that format) on the Czechoslovak Genealogical International Society page
      at http://cgsi.org/

      I have found the rates reasonable for the amount of information you get
      (you can specify a limit to how much money you spend), however the
      drawback is it takes a very long time. In fact I had totally forgotten I
      had even requested information the first time, I figured the letter had
      been lost, as it was about 10 months before I heard from them that they
      had found anything. But then for about $35 US I received from them
      information that brought me back two more generations on my family in
      Bohemia.

      It's up to each person whether to use the service or not of course, but
      right now it's about the only way to access that information.

      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching