Kondrc Surname

  • vwonxtc
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 23, 2002
      I am trying to search for my grandfathers family, who are from
      Slovakia as best as i know. From what i understand there is no
      living male relative of the Kondrc name. Right now all i have is

      Grand Father: Frank Kondrc b: Apr 18, 1919 d: Oct 19, 1988. Buried
      in New Jersey. He married my grandmother in NY, who was from
      Czech. (thats the next name i have to search on Maczek)

      His mother was Anna Kondrc (b:feb 13, 1890 d: Sep 1980), and Father
      was Steven Kondrc (no info as of yet on him).

      I have seen many diff. spellings of Kondrc, but from what my
      grandmother says is that i has never changed. Could have it been
      changed in the process of coming to america?

      In the process of getting my some of my families SSN requests.

      Thanks for any information

      Dave Decker
    • vwonxtc
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 12 9:09 PM
        This is just an update to see what if anyone might have some more
        info

        Grand Father: Francis Sylvester Kondrc b: Apr 18, 1919 d: Oct 19,
        1988.
        Born in Charleroi, Pennsylvania
        Died: Bergenfield, NJ Buried: Glenwood, NJ

        Mother was Anna Louise Benyak (b:feb 13, 1890 d: Sep 1980),
        Born in Lisice, Czech (others say Nitra was where she was born)
        Died: Kittaning, PA (Dont know her parents)
        Father was Steven Kondrc
        Born: November 26, 1881 in Presport, Czech
        Died: September 02, 1958 Kittaning, PA

        From other family member info they say Steven Kondrcs dad was
        John Kondrc (no info yet)

        (still awaiting the SSN forms btw)
      • John M.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 13 9:51 AM
          At 04:09 AM 7/13/02 +0000, you wrote:
          >This is just an update to see what if anyone might have some more
          >info
          >Mother was Anna Louise Benyak (b:feb 13, 1890 d: Sep 1980),
          > Born in Lisice, Czech (others say Nitra was where she was born)
          > Died: Kittaning, PA (Dont know her parents)
          >Father was Steven Kondrc
          > Born: November 26, 1881 in Presport, Czech
          > Died: September 02, 1958 Kittaning, PA

          I found 3 Kondrc in the Pies^tany online directory. I believe Pies^tany is
          part of Nitra okres (county). I found a few Kondrk in Bratislava and other
          cities but no Kondrc. Maybe Vladimir can comment on the two spellings and
          give his opinion on the possibility of their being the same surname.

          I found one Ben~ak (pronounced Benyak) in Nitra mesto (city). Her name is
          Emilia Ben~akova. There are two Ben~ak listed in Piestany. The "n^"
          pronounced like the second "n" in El Nin~o. I believe that is the way it
          would be written in Slovak and not Benyak.

          John
        • frankly1us
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 14 6:15 AM
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "vwonxtc" <maze_r@h...> wrote:
            > This is just an update to see what if anyone might have some more
            > info
            >
            > Grand Father: Francis Sylvester Kondrc b: Apr 18, 1919 d: Oct 19,
            > 1988.
            > Born in Charleroi, Pennsylvania
            > Died: Bergenfield, NJ Buried: Glenwood, NJ
            >
            > Mother was Anna Louise Benyak (b:feb 13, 1890 d: Sep 1980),
            > Born in Lisice, Czech (others say Nitra was where she was born)
            > Died: Kittaning, PA (Dont know her parents)
            > Father was Steven Kondrc
            > Born: November 26, 1881 in Presport, Czech
            > Died: September 02, 1958 Kittaning, PA
            >
            > From other family member info they say Steven Kondrcs dad was
            > John Kondrc (no info yet)
            >
            > (still awaiting the SSN forms btw)

            Nitra is located in Slovakia.
            There are 3 place names Lisice located in the Czech Republic;
            41, 42, and 59 miles distant from Praha respectively.

            Majority of 53 surname Benyak who emigrated to U.S. via Ellis
            Island (NYC) 1892-1924 appear to be from Slovakia, formerly
            Upper-Hungary.
            1 surname Benyak bearer listed who was returning to the U.S. was
            from Charleroi, PA USA.

            So, perhaps Lisice was Liesek which is located 144 miles NE of
            Bratislava, Slovakia.