Re: [S-R] More for the Plavnica message

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 22, 2002
      Susan,

      I just drove through Plavnica a few weeks ago. Yes, you do want to take
      some public transportation from Prague unless you are used to driving in
      European traffic and you can adapt to making three lane roads out of two
      lane rods on an impromptu basis. It is a hard 8 hours drive from Prague to
      Plavnica and it is also criminal to pass by so many beautiful places! When
      you do get around to driving it, take your time and enjoy it!

      For ease and time I would suggest lying from Prague to Kosice or Poprad and
      renting a car. Bratislava is still a fair drive from Plavnica. You can
      take trains or busses, and this will allow you to mingle with the local
      people as well. Ask yourself if you are a healthy walker as well, and go
      with good walking shoes if at all possible. Be ready for Appalachian type
      mountains if you leave the road system. It is a beautiful area, so take as
      much time as you can and enjoy it! If you do not stay with relatives, there
      are rooms in Lubovna Kupella and Stara Lubovna, not too many km from the
      village.

      Ah, hiring a driver that can also double as translator is a good idea, as
      you proposed.

      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 23, 2002
        Dear Ron,
        Thank you for the travel information. All of will be very useful to
        me.
        Susan

        Service.

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Gilbert Kubancsek
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 23, 2002
          Hello Susan.

          Thanks for your message. I don�t read, write or speak Slovak either. I got some help on using the telephone directory from a friend.

          Here are some instructions for your use;

          Go to: http://www.zoznamst.sk

          Click on: V�etky stanice v SR

          The V�etky stanice v SR screen should appear.

          In the N�yov alebo priezvisko box enter [ family name ] e.g. Sekelsk�

          In the Mesto box enter: [city, town or village] e.g. Plavnica

          No entrees are required in the other boxes.

          Click on: Vyhladat

          A screen should appear with four listings of Sekelsk� family members.

          Click on any name and a screen will appear wirh name, address, & telephone number of that person.

          If there are no persons in a location with the name you entered, this message will appear: Nen�jden� �iadny z�znam. Try a different name or location.

          I hope this helps.

          Good Luck

          Gil Kubancsek

          Susan Friedhaber-Hard <barclaypenn@...> wrote:

          Dear Gil,
          Thank you very much for the helpful information. Could you tell me how to access the information on that site? I do not speak or read Slovak and when I tried to click on "English Version" the other evening, I was not able to access it.
          Susan
          Gilbert Kubancsek <kubangil@...> wrote:
          To Susan.
          The Slovak telephone book includes the following listings:
          Stefan Pruzinsky, Vladimir Pruzinsky

          Frantisek Sekelsky, Jozef Sekelsky, Miroslav Sekelsky, Stefan Sekelsky

          Names, addresses & telephone numbers can be found at http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html

          Hope this helps.

          Gil Kubancsek
          barclaypenn <barclaypenn@...> wrote:
          I'm new to this Listserv and in my haste I forgot a few things.
          I need to add that Plavnica is in Slovakia, near the Polish border.

          I need to add that my name is Susan (named after my grandmother) and
          that I live in Western New York.

          Please see my previous message for the rest:
          Searching for roots on the names Pruzinsky & Lynch (Lynka) &
          McCluskey & Sekelsky & Parana all who were originally from Plavnica.

          Thank you.

        • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 24, 2002
            Dear John,
            Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't work for me.
            Susan

            "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 11:00 AM 6/22/02 -0700, you wrote:

            > Dear Gil,
            >Thank you very much for the helpful information. Could you tell me how to
            >access the information on that site?

            In the event Gil is busy:

            Subject: Use These for Phone and Postal Code

            http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html SK phone directory

            Click on the map of Slovakia - Vsetky stanice v SR and then follow
            instructions below. Also, where it says Keyword, if you click on the
            "branz^ovnik" button on the bottom it list key words such as
            "ambulancia". If you put the keyword in and the town, it will list all the
            "ambulancia" (out patient clinics) in the town.

            You don't have to use diacritic marks. If you're unsure of the spelling in
            a name of person or town, try the first 3 letters of the name or town or
            both to get a larger selection.

            N�zov alebo priezvisko* - Put in the surname, at least 3 letters

            Kl�c^ov� slovo* - Keyword (means - Ako kl�cov� slovo m�zete pouzit niektor�
            heslo z branzovn�ka. - which I didn't translate because I don't use it. I
            leave it blank)

            Ulica - Street - leave blank unless known

            C�slo domu - House number if known

            Mesto* - Town - must have at least the first three letters of the town. At
            one time you could use just one and run the alphabet.

            Smerov� telef�nne c�slo* = Area code leave blank unless known

            vyhl'adat' = find

            Click on the highlighted names to get the full address and phone numbers.

            vymazat' = erase

            Predch�zaj�cich 20 z�znamov = first 20 names

            D'als^�ch 20 z�znamov = next 20 names

            Zac^iatok str�nky = beginning page

            spat' = back or return
            **********
            For postal codes use:

            http://www.slposta.sk/online/hlpsc.htm

            N�zov obce: Town name
            Ulica: Street, if applicable

            Good luck.

            John

          • John M.
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 24, 2002
              At 06:12 PM 6/24/02 -0700, you wrote:

              > Dear John,
              >Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone
              >book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't
              >work for me.
              >Susan

              Try http://www.slposta.sk/default.php

              Click on "On-Line and then click on "PSC obci a ulic"

              In the top window "Názov obce": put in the town name
              In the window below "Ulica: (bez popisného císla)": put in the street

              Click on Vyhladat

              If you want to see a snazzy welcome page try http://www.slposta.sk/ . It
              will take you to the first site I listed.

              John
            • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                Dear John,
                I took a peek at the zip code sites, but I didn't do a test tonight.
                I'm wondering why some of the letters don't come out for me on the Slovak pages. The letter "N" and "L" sometimes appears as a rectangle. I've seen this before but never thought to ask anyone....Does anyone have an answer for me?
                Susan
                "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 06:12 PM 6/24/02 -0700, you wrote:

                > Dear John,
                >Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone
                >book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't
                >work for me.
                >Susan

                Try http://www.slposta.sk/default.php

                Click on "On-Line and then click on "PSC obci a ulic"

                In the top window "N�zov obce": put in the town name
                In the window below "Ulica: (bez popisn�ho c�sla)": put in the street

                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                  At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:

                  > Dear John,
                  >I took a peek at the zip code sites, but I didn't do a test tonight.
                  > I'm wondering why some of the letters don't come out for me on the
                  > Slovak pages. The letter "N" and "L" sometimes appears as a rectangle.
                  > I've seen this before but never thought to ask anyone....Does anyone have
                  > an answer for me?
                  >Susan

                  Slovak uses diacritic marks on some of the letters in the alphabet. If you
                  are not using Slovak font, you will see the "rectangles" and sometimes an
                  "e", etc. in place of the letters.

                  To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:

                  http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

                  John
                • ginny schulze
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                    Ron, thanks for your comments, however, this note is
                    for you or anyone who has traveled in Slovakia. I am
                    planning a trip next spring with my husband, sister
                    and cousin to Hniezdne (Kniesen). We plan to fly into
                    Berlin, spend 3 nights there (researching my husband's
                    family as well as seeing the local sights), then
                    renting a car to drive to Prague for one night, then
                    on to Poprad or Tatranska Lomnica for 4 nights,
                    touring Hniezdne and surrounding areas to research our
                    roots. (Family surnames are Hobor and Raab, the local
                    Catholic Church is St. Bartolomaeus) Our ancestors
                    immigrated from Kniesen to Philadelphia around 1895.
                    We plan to continue driving to Budapest and then fly
                    home from Vienna. We only speak English, so please
                    advise if we are getting in over our heads. Are the
                    Hi-ways and roadside areas traveler friendly? We are
                    all well traveled people, however, have never
                    attempted a trip such as this. Would you suggest the
                    train from Berlin, to each our our stops, all the way
                    through to Vienna. All comments and suggestions are
                    appreciated.

                    Thanks, Ginny Schulze, Pennsylvania

                    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                  • John M.
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                      At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you wrote:
                      >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
                      >
                      >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
                      >
                      >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm
                      >
                      >John
                      If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser you can choose
                      additional languages to use. I have set mine to read English, Slovak, and
                      Czech. Go to "Tools" and then click on "Internet Options". Next click on
                      "Languages" and then "Add" and select Slovak as one of your languages. I
                      believe this will place the letters with diacritics on your screen. I
                      don't think you have to download Slovak font to your computer to be able to
                      see the Slovak letters but I do have Slovak font downloaded so I'm not
                      certain if it is a necessary condition.

                      John
                    • Andrea Vangor
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                        Possible answer: Because they have a diacritical mark attached and the
                        whole symbol cannot be printed with your system. There is a L' character,
                        pronounced sort of as Ly -- must be a similar N character (I should know
                        this but have not been keeping up with Slovak studies of late).

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                            John:

                            How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
                            with the marks on the letters?

                            Thanks.

                            Doris
                          • John M.
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                              t several optionsAt 02:55 PM 6/27/02 -0400, you wrote:
                              >John:
                              >
                              >How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
                              >with the marks on the letters?
                              >
                              >Thanks.
                              >
                              >Doris

                              I don't think you will have to download Slovak fonts. I'm not the best
                              person to answer this question but I'll try. I use Windows 98. Go to "My
                              Computer" and click on "Help" then type "language" in the search
                              window. It will give you a few options. I believe you will have to do two
                              things: 1. install multilanguage support, and 2. install the Slovak Qwerty
                              keyboard option.

                              1. First install multilanguage support. "You can use Windows to create
                              documents in many different languages. However, to create documents in a
                              Central European-, Cyrillic-, Baltic-, Greek-, or Turkish-based language,
                              you must install multilanguage support." (Slovak falls into Central
                              European in this case I believe). After clicking on the "to install
                              mutilanguage support" option, follow the step by step instructions.

                              2. Next do a search on "keyboard" an select the "to add a keyboard
                              language or layout" option and follow the instructions. You want to
                              install the Qwerty Slovak keyboard. To see where the diacritic fonts are
                              located
                              see http://www.macromedia.com/support/fontographer/ts/documents/slovak.htm
                              and scroll down to Slovak normal and Slovak shift.

                              When you complete the two items above you should have a blue square with En
                              in white on it located in the system tray of your task bar. When you click
                              on the En icon, a window will open showing your language options. You
                              should have a Sk icon to choose. When you click on the Sk icon it will
                              give you the Slovak Qwerty keyboard to use. When you reverse the
                              procedure, it will take you back to an English keyboard.

                              The fonts should work in Wordpad, MS Word, Outlook Express and I'm sure
                              other word processing software. I've heard some say the fonts came in
                              their word processing software and all they had to do was set their
                              preferences or options to use them. Good Luck.

                              John
                            • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                  At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                                  >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                                  >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                                  >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                                  >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                                  I hadn't tried printing a Slovak page from the Internet. I went
                                  to: http://www.slposta.sk/default.php and printed it. The diacritic marks
                                  printed. Are you set for Multilanguage and do you have the Qwerty Slovak
                                  keyboard selected in Windows?

                                  John
                                • John M.
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                    At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                                    >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                                    >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                                    >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                                    >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?
                                    > "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
                                    > >
                                    > >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

                                    I missed the site you mentioned initially (above) so I went to this site
                                    and it printed with diacritics.

                                    John