Re: [S-R] More for the Plavnica message

  • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 22, 2002
      John,
      Oh yes; I know this site...I've watched it as it changed....with the man swinging a sledgehammer, to a pink & yellow roses page; and now this one with some genealogical information.
      Thanks, Susan
      "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 01:23 AM 6/21/02 +0000, you wrote:

      >I'm new to this Listserv and in my haste I forgot a few things.
      >I need to add that Plavnica is in Slovakia, near the Polish border.

      I forgot to add http://www.tccweb.org/plavnica.htm

      The Carpathian Connection site above has a history and photos of Plavnica.

      John

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 22, 2002
        Dear Michael,
        I would appreciate any practical information you can give me about travelling to the Plavnica area; after you return. For example, does one fly to Bratislava first and hire a driver?? If I wanted to go to Prague also, it seems far enough away from Plavnica, that it might be most sensible to fly there from a city near Plavnica, as opposed to taking a train or driving. I hope you have a wonderful trip.
        Susan Friedhaber-Hard

        Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote: For three years I have been tracing my roots in Plavnica and Hromos. One
        of the names in my family tree is Margaretha Szekelyski.
        Through my local Family History Center I was able to order four rolls of
        film that have the records for Plavnica beginning in the 1600's and going to
        the 1920's.
        In a week I will be leaving for Slovakia and will spend a week in the
        Plavnica area. I would be happy to share what I have when I get back in
        August.
        The Dracula castle story isn't possible since it is located in the
        Wallachia district of Romania.
        Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 22, 2002
          Susan,

          I just drove through Plavnica a few weeks ago. Yes, you do want to take
          some public transportation from Prague unless you are used to driving in
          European traffic and you can adapt to making three lane roads out of two
          lane rods on an impromptu basis. It is a hard 8 hours drive from Prague to
          Plavnica and it is also criminal to pass by so many beautiful places! When
          you do get around to driving it, take your time and enjoy it!

          For ease and time I would suggest lying from Prague to Kosice or Poprad and
          renting a car. Bratislava is still a fair drive from Plavnica. You can
          take trains or busses, and this will allow you to mingle with the local
          people as well. Ask yourself if you are a healthy walker as well, and go
          with good walking shoes if at all possible. Be ready for Appalachian type
          mountains if you leave the road system. It is a beautiful area, so take as
          much time as you can and enjoy it! If you do not stay with relatives, there
          are rooms in Lubovna Kupella and Stara Lubovna, not too many km from the
          village.

          Ah, hiring a driver that can also double as translator is a good idea, as
          you proposed.

          > I would appreciate any practical information you can give me about
          travelling to the Plavnica area; after you return. For example, does one fly
          to Bratislava first and hire a driver?? If I wanted to go to Prague also, it
          seems far enough away from Plavnica, that it might be most sensible to fly
          there from a city near Plavnica, as opposed to taking a train or driving. I
          hope you have a wonderful trip.
          > Susan Friedhaber-Hard
          >
          > Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote: For three years I have been
          tracing my roots in Plavnica and Hromos. One
          > of the names in my family tree is Margaretha Szekelyski.
          > Through my local Family History Center I was able to order four rolls
          of
          > film that have the records for Plavnica beginning in the 1600's and going
          > the 1920's.
          > In a week I will be leaving for Slovakia and will spend a week in the
          > Plavnica area. I would be happy to share what I have when I get back in
          > August.
          > The Dracula castle story isn't possible since it is located in the
          > Wallachia district of Romania.
          > Michael Mojher

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • barclaypenn
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 23, 2002
            Dear Ron,
            Thank you for the travel information. All of will be very useful to
            me.
            Susan

            Service.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Gilbert Kubancsek
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 23, 2002
              Hello Susan.

              Thanks for your message. I don�t read, write or speak Slovak either. I got some help on using the telephone directory from a friend.

              Here are some instructions for your use;

              Go to: http://www.zoznamst.sk

              Click on: V�etky stanice v SR

              The V�etky stanice v SR screen should appear.

              In the N�yov alebo priezvisko box enter [ family name ] e.g. Sekelsk�

              In the Mesto box enter: [city, town or village] e.g. Plavnica

              No entrees are required in the other boxes.

              Click on: Vyhladat

              A screen should appear with four listings of Sekelsk� family members.

              Click on any name and a screen will appear wirh name, address, & telephone number of that person.

              If there are no persons in a location with the name you entered, this message will appear: Nen�jden� �iadny z�znam. Try a different name or location.

              I hope this helps.

              Good Luck

              Gil Kubancsek

              Susan Friedhaber-Hard <barclaypenn@...> wrote:

              Dear Gil,
              Thank you very much for the helpful information. Could you tell me how to access the information on that site? I do not speak or read Slovak and when I tried to click on "English Version" the other evening, I was not able to access it.
              Susan
              Gilbert Kubancsek <kubangil@...> wrote:
              To Susan.
              The Slovak telephone book includes the following listings:
              Stefan Pruzinsky, Vladimir Pruzinsky

              Frantisek Sekelsky, Jozef Sekelsky, Miroslav Sekelsky, Stefan Sekelsky

              Names, addresses & telephone numbers can be found at http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html

              Hope this helps.

              Gil Kubancsek

              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 24, 2002
                Dear John,
                Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't work for me.
                Susan

                "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 11:00 AM 6/22/02 -0700, you wrote:

                > Dear Gil,
                >Thank you very much for the helpful information. Could you tell me how to
                >access the information on that site?

                In the event Gil is busy:

                Subject: Use These for Phone and Postal Code

                http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html SK phone directory

                Click on the map of Slovakia - Vsetky stanice v SR and then follow
                instructions below. Also, where it says Keyword, if you click on the
                "branz^ovnik" button on the bottom it list key words such as
                "ambulancia". If you put the keyword in and the town, it will list all the
                "ambulancia" (out patient clinics) in the town.

                You don't have to use diacritic marks. If you're unsure of the spelling in
                a name of person or town, try the first 3 letters of the name or town or
                both to get a larger selection.

                N�zov alebo priezvisko* - Put in the surname, at least 3 letters

                Kl�c^ov� slovo* - Keyword (means - Ako kl�cov� slovo m�zete pouzit niektor�
                heslo z branzovn�ka. - which I didn't translate because I don't use it. I
                leave it blank)

                Ulica - Street - leave blank unless known

                C�slo domu - House number if known

                Mesto* - Town - must have at least the first three letters of the town. At
                one time you could use just one and run the alphabet.

                Smerov� telef�nne c�slo* = Area code leave blank unless known

                vyhl'adat' = find

                Click on the highlighted names to get the full address and phone numbers.

                vymazat' = erase

                Predch�zaj�cich 20 z�znamov = first 20 names

                D'als^�ch 20 z�znamov = next 20 names

                Zac^iatok str�nky = beginning page

                spat' = back or return
                **********
                For postal codes use:

                http://www.slposta.sk/online/hlpsc.htm

                N�zov obce: Town name
                Ulica: Street, if applicable

                Good luck.

                John

              • John M.
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 24, 2002
                  At 06:12 PM 6/24/02 -0700, you wrote:

                  > Dear John,
                  >Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone
                  >book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't
                  >work for me.
                  >Susan

                  Try http://www.slposta.sk/default.php

                  Click on "On-Line and then click on "PSC obci a ulic"

                  In the top window "Názov obce": put in the town name
                  In the window below "Ulica: (bez popisného císla)": put in the street

                  Click on Vyhladat

                  If you want to see a snazzy welcome page try http://www.slposta.sk/ . It
                  will take you to the first site I listed.

                  John
                • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                    Dear John,
                    I took a peek at the zip code sites, but I didn't do a test tonight.
                    I'm wondering why some of the letters don't come out for me on the Slovak pages. The letter "N" and "L" sometimes appears as a rectangle. I've seen this before but never thought to ask anyone....Does anyone have an answer for me?
                    Susan
                    "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 06:12 PM 6/24/02 -0700, you wrote:

                    > Dear John,
                    >Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone
                    >book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't
                    >work for me.
                    >Susan

                    Try http://www.slposta.sk/default.php

                    Click on "On-Line and then click on "PSC obci a ulic"

                    In the top window "N�zov obce": put in the town name
                    In the window below "Ulica: (bez popisn�ho c�sla)": put in the street

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                      At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:

                      > Dear John,
                      >I took a peek at the zip code sites, but I didn't do a test tonight.
                      > I'm wondering why some of the letters don't come out for me on the
                      > Slovak pages. The letter "N" and "L" sometimes appears as a rectangle.
                      > I've seen this before but never thought to ask anyone....Does anyone have
                      > an answer for me?
                      >Susan

                      Slovak uses diacritic marks on some of the letters in the alphabet. If you
                      are not using Slovak font, you will see the "rectangles" and sometimes an
                      "e", etc. in place of the letters.

                      To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:

                      http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

                      John
                    • ginny schulze
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                        Ron, thanks for your comments, however, this note is
                        for you or anyone who has traveled in Slovakia. I am
                        planning a trip next spring with my husband, sister
                        and cousin to Hniezdne (Kniesen). We plan to fly into
                        Berlin, spend 3 nights there (researching my husband's
                        family as well as seeing the local sights), then
                        renting a car to drive to Prague for one night, then
                        on to Poprad or Tatranska Lomnica for 4 nights,
                        touring Hniezdne and surrounding areas to research our
                        roots. (Family surnames are Hobor and Raab, the local
                        Catholic Church is St. Bartolomaeus) Our ancestors
                        immigrated from Kniesen to Philadelphia around 1895.
                        We plan to continue driving to Budapest and then fly
                        home from Vienna. We only speak English, so please
                        advise if we are getting in over our heads. Are the
                        Hi-ways and roadside areas traveler friendly? We are
                        all well traveled people, however, have never
                        attempted a trip such as this. Would you suggest the
                        train from Berlin, to each our our stops, all the way
                        through to Vienna. All comments and suggestions are
                        appreciated.

                        Thanks, Ginny Schulze, Pennsylvania

                        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                      • John M.
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                          At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you wrote:
                          >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
                          >
                          >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
                          >
                          >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm
                          >
                          >John
                          If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser you can choose
                          additional languages to use. I have set mine to read English, Slovak, and
                          Czech. Go to "Tools" and then click on "Internet Options". Next click on
                          "Languages" and then "Add" and select Slovak as one of your languages. I
                          believe this will place the letters with diacritics on your screen. I
                          don't think you have to download Slovak font to your computer to be able to
                          see the Slovak letters but I do have Slovak font downloaded so I'm not
                          certain if it is a necessary condition.

                          John
                        • Andrea Vangor
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                            Possible answer: Because they have a diacritical mark attached and the
                            whole symbol cannot be printed with your system. There is a L' character,
                            pronounced sort of as Ly -- must be a similar N character (I should know
                            this but have not been keeping up with Slovak studies of late).

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                John:

                                How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
                                with the marks on the letters?

                                Thanks.

                                Doris
                              • John M.
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                  t several optionsAt 02:55 PM 6/27/02 -0400, you wrote:
                                  >John:
                                  >
                                  >How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
                                  >with the marks on the letters?
                                  >
                                  >Thanks.
                                  >
                                  >Doris

                                  I don't think you will have to download Slovak fonts. I'm not the best
                                  person to answer this question but I'll try. I use Windows 98. Go to "My
                                  Computer" and click on "Help" then type "language" in the search
                                  window. It will give you a few options. I believe you will have to do two
                                  things: 1. install multilanguage support, and 2. install the Slovak Qwerty
                                  keyboard option.

                                  1. First install multilanguage support. "You can use Windows to create
                                  documents in many different languages. However, to create documents in a
                                  Central European-, Cyrillic-, Baltic-, Greek-, or Turkish-based language,
                                  you must install multilanguage support." (Slovak falls into Central
                                  European in this case I believe). After clicking on the "to install
                                  mutilanguage support" option, follow the step by step instructions.

                                  2. Next do a search on "keyboard" an select the "to add a keyboard
                                  language or layout" option and follow the instructions. You want to
                                  install the Qwerty Slovak keyboard. To see where the diacritic fonts are
                                  located
                                  see http://www.macromedia.com/support/fontographer/ts/documents/slovak.htm
                                  and scroll down to Slovak normal and Slovak shift.

                                  When you complete the two items above you should have a blue square with En
                                  in white on it located in the system tray of your task bar. When you click
                                  on the En icon, a window will open showing your language options. You
                                  should have a Sk icon to choose. When you click on the Sk icon it will
                                  give you the Slovak Qwerty keyboard to use. When you reverse the
                                  procedure, it will take you back to an English keyboard.

                                  The fonts should work in Wordpad, MS Word, Outlook Express and I'm sure
                                  other word processing software. I've heard some say the fonts came in
                                  their word processing software and all they had to do was set their
                                  preferences or options to use them. Good Luck.

                                  John
                                • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                    After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                      At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                                      >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                                      >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                                      >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                                      >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                                      I hadn't tried printing a Slovak page from the Internet. I went
                                      to: http://www.slposta.sk/default.php and printed it. The diacritic marks
                                      printed. Are you set for Multilanguage and do you have the Qwerty Slovak
                                      keyboard selected in Windows?

                                      John
                                    • John M.
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                        At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                                        >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                                        >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                                        >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                                        >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?
                                        > "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you
                                        > wrote:
                                        > >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
                                        > >
                                        > >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

                                        I missed the site you mentioned initially (above) so I went to this site
                                        and it printed with diacritics.

                                        John