Re: [S-R] More for the Plavnica message

  • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 22, 2002
      Dear Gil,
      Thank you very much for the helpful information. Could you tell me how to access the information on that site? I do not speak or read Slovak and when I tried to click on "English Version" the other evening, I was not able to access it.
      Susan
      Gilbert Kubancsek <kubangil@...> wrote:
      To Susan.
      The Slovak telephone book includes the following listings:
      Stefan Pruzinsky, Vladimir Pruzinsky

      Frantisek Sekelsky, Jozef Sekelsky, Miroslav Sekelsky, Stefan Sekelsky

      Names, addresses & telephone numbers can be found at http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html

      Hope this helps.

      Gil Kubancsek
      barclaypenn <barclaypenn@...> wrote:
      I'm new to this Listserv and in my haste I forgot a few things.
      I need to add that Plavnica is in Slovakia, near the Polish border.

      I need to add that my name is Susan (named after my grandmother) and
      that I live in Western New York.

      Please see my previous message for the rest:
      Searching for roots on the names Pruzinsky & Lynch (Lynka) &
      McCluskey & Sekelsky & Parana all who were originally from Plavnica.

      Thank you.

    • John M.
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 22, 2002
        At 11:00 AM 6/22/02 -0700, you wrote:

        > Dear Gil,
        >Thank you very much for the helpful information. Could you tell me how to
        >access the information on that site?

        In the event Gil is busy:

        Subject: Use These for Phone and Postal Code

        http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html SK phone directory

        Click on the map of Slovakia - Vsetky stanice v SR and then follow
        instructions below. Also, where it says Keyword, if you click on the
        "branz^ovnik" button on the bottom it list key words such as
        "ambulancia". If you put the keyword in and the town, it will list all the
        "ambulancia" (out patient clinics) in the town.

        You don't have to use diacritic marks. If you're unsure of the spelling in
        a name of person or town, try the first 3 letters of the name or town or
        both to get a larger selection.

        Názov alebo priezvisko* - Put in the surname, at least 3 letters

        Klúc^ové slovo* - Keyword (means - Ako klúcové slovo môzete pouzit niektoré
        heslo z branzovníka. - which I didn't translate because I don't use it. I
        leave it blank)

        Ulica - Street - leave blank unless known

        Císlo domu - House number if known

        Mesto* - Town - must have at least the first three letters of the town. At
        one time you could use just one and run the alphabet.

        Smerové telefónne císlo* = Area code leave blank unless known

        vyhl'adat' = find

        Click on the highlighted names to get the full address and phone numbers.

        vymazat' = erase

        Predcházajúcich 20 záznamov = first 20 names

        D'als^ích 20 záznamov = next 20 names

        Zac^iatok stránky = beginning page

        spat' = back or return
        **********
        For postal codes use:

        http://www.slposta.sk/online/hlpsc.htm

        Názov obce: Town name
        Ulica: Street, if applicable

        Good luck.

        John
      • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 22, 2002
          Dear John,
          Thank you very much for the information. I have already used the Family History Library to glean records on my Scottish ancestors before I visited Scotland in 1994. But I have never used the Internet for this kind of work. I may have some questions for you after I get started.
          Susan Friedhaber-Hard

          "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 01:23 AM 6/21/02 +0000, you wrote:

          >I'm new to this Listserv and in my haste I forgot a few things.
          >I need to add that Plavnica is in Slovakia, near the Polish border.

          My brother-in-law's father (Starinsky) was from Plavnica. He emigrated to
          New York (brothers in Brooklyn), then to PA and settled in Cleveland. I
          visited Plavnica for a few hours in the fall of 1999.
          The Pruzinsky sounds familiar. As I recall, my b-i-l had a relative named
          John who was a MD and had the surname of Plashinsky or Pruzinsky. I did
          find MD's Susan and Kathryn Pruzinsky by doing a Google search but no John.

          A search using the Slovak online directory showed 2 listings for Pruz^insky
          in Plavnica, 3 for Paran~a in Poprod (~60 miler SW), 7 Sekelsky in
          Plavnica, but very little luck with Lynka. I found a couple of Linka in
          Bratislava.

          The LDS has micro filmed the Roman Catholic church records in Plavnica for
          the period of 1693 to 1926.

          http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=706871&disp=Cirkevn%C3%A1_matrika

          If you can't get there by clicking on the above go to:

          and do a place search on Plavnica and Sambron. The Greek Catholic records
          for Plavnica are, I believe, in with the Sambron records. Sambron is
          south of Plavnica. I could only find reference to RC, GC, and Jewish
          records for Plavnica. I'm sure there were Lutheran churches in some towns,
          especially since there were German villages in Upper Hungary. I believe
          there was an Evangelical (Lutheran) one in Stara Lubovna.

          The Dracula connection was most probably a fabricated one based on the
          Carpathian mountains. Dracula was supposedly located in Transylvania which
          is in the southern section of the Carpathians (near Romania) and quite some
          distance from Plavnica. http://www.draculascastle.com/index3.html There
          are castles in the area. There is a castle in Stara Lubovna near (about 10
          miles west)
          Plavnica http://www.slovakheritage.org/Castles/stara_lubovna.htm . There
          are loads of castles and ruins of castles in
          Slovakia http://www.castles.sk/index.php?show=cas .

          The Irish priest part is more plausible but Upper Hungary (now called
          Slovakia) was primarily Slavic and a Roman and Greek Catholic area for
          several centuries. That doesn't exclude the possibility of a missionary in
          the area. On the other hand, there are names such as Miklus^ (pronounced
          Miklush) and other variations even perhaps a Miklus^ky that might have come
          close to McCluskey. Good luck.

          John

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 22, 2002
            John,
            Oh yes; I know this site...I've watched it as it changed....with the man swinging a sledgehammer, to a pink & yellow roses page; and now this one with some genealogical information.
            Thanks, Susan
            "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 01:23 AM 6/21/02 +0000, you wrote:

            >I'm new to this Listserv and in my haste I forgot a few things.
            >I need to add that Plavnica is in Slovakia, near the Polish border.

            I forgot to add http://www.tccweb.org/plavnica.htm

            The Carpathian Connection site above has a history and photos of Plavnica.

            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 22, 2002
              Dear Michael,
              I would appreciate any practical information you can give me about travelling to the Plavnica area; after you return. For example, does one fly to Bratislava first and hire a driver?? If I wanted to go to Prague also, it seems far enough away from Plavnica, that it might be most sensible to fly there from a city near Plavnica, as opposed to taking a train or driving. I hope you have a wonderful trip.
              Susan Friedhaber-Hard

              Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote: For three years I have been tracing my roots in Plavnica and Hromos. One
              of the names in my family tree is Margaretha Szekelyski.
              Through my local Family History Center I was able to order four rolls of
              film that have the records for Plavnica beginning in the 1600's and going to
              the 1920's.
              In a week I will be leaving for Slovakia and will spend a week in the
              Plavnica area. I would be happy to share what I have when I get back in
              August.
              The Dracula castle story isn't possible since it is located in the
              Wallachia district of Romania.
              Michael Mojher
              > I'm new to this Listserv and in my haste I forgot a few things.
              > I need to add that Plavnica is in Slovakia, near the Polish border.
              >
              > I need to add that my name is Susan (named after my grandmother) and
              > that I live in Western New York.
              >
              > Please see my previous message for the rest:
              > Searching for roots on the names Pruzinsky & Lynch (Lynka) &
              > McCluskey & Sekelsky & Parana all who were originally from Plavnica.
              >
              > Thank you.

            • Ron Matviyak
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 22, 2002
                Susan,

                I just drove through Plavnica a few weeks ago. Yes, you do want to take
                some public transportation from Prague unless you are used to driving in
                European traffic and you can adapt to making three lane roads out of two
                lane rods on an impromptu basis. It is a hard 8 hours drive from Prague to
                Plavnica and it is also criminal to pass by so many beautiful places! When
                you do get around to driving it, take your time and enjoy it!

                For ease and time I would suggest lying from Prague to Kosice or Poprad and
                renting a car. Bratislava is still a fair drive from Plavnica. You can
                take trains or busses, and this will allow you to mingle with the local
                people as well. Ask yourself if you are a healthy walker as well, and go
                with good walking shoes if at all possible. Be ready for Appalachian type
                mountains if you leave the road system. It is a beautiful area, so take as
                much time as you can and enjoy it! If you do not stay with relatives, there
                are rooms in Lubovna Kupella and Stara Lubovna, not too many km from the
                village.

                Ah, hiring a driver that can also double as translator is a good idea, as
                you proposed.

                > I would appreciate any practical information you can give me about
                travelling to the Plavnica area; after you return. For example, does one fly
                to Bratislava first and hire a driver?? If I wanted to go to Prague also, it
                seems far enough away from Plavnica, that it might be most sensible to fly
                there from a city near Plavnica, as opposed to taking a train or driving. I
                hope you have a wonderful trip.
                > Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                >
                > Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote: For three years I have been
                tracing my roots in Plavnica and Hromos. One
                > of the names in my family tree is Margaretha Szekelyski.
                > Through my local Family History Center I was able to order four rolls
                of
                > film that have the records for Plavnica beginning in the 1600's and going
                > the 1920's.
                > In a week I will be leaving for Slovakia and will spend a week in the
                > Plavnica area. I would be happy to share what I have when I get back in
                > August.
                > The Dracula castle story isn't possible since it is located in the
                > Wallachia district of Romania.
                > Michael Mojher

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • barclaypenn
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 23, 2002
                  Dear Ron,
                  Thank you for the travel information. All of will be very useful to
                  me.
                  Susan

                  Service.

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Gilbert Kubancsek
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 23, 2002
                    Hello Susan.

                    Thanks for your message. I don�t read, write or speak Slovak either. I got some help on using the telephone directory from a friend.

                    Here are some instructions for your use;

                    Go to: http://www.zoznamst.sk

                    Click on: V�etky stanice v SR

                    The V�etky stanice v SR screen should appear.

                    In the N�yov alebo priezvisko box enter [ family name ] e.g. Sekelsk�

                    In the Mesto box enter: [city, town or village] e.g. Plavnica

                    No entrees are required in the other boxes.

                    Click on: Vyhladat

                    A screen should appear with four listings of Sekelsk� family members.

                    Click on any name and a screen will appear wirh name, address, & telephone number of that person.

                    If there are no persons in a location with the name you entered, this message will appear: Nen�jden� �iadny z�znam. Try a different name or location.

                    I hope this helps.

                    Good Luck

                    Gil Kubancsek

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 24, 2002
                      Dear John,
                      Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't work for me.
                      Susan

                      "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 11:00 AM 6/22/02 -0700, you wrote:

                      > Dear Gil,
                      >Thank you very much for the helpful information. Could you tell me how to
                      >access the information on that site?

                      In the event Gil is busy:

                      http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html SK phone directory

                      Click on the map of Slovakia - Vsetky stanice v SR and then follow
                      instructions below. Also, where it says Keyword, if you click on the
                      "branz^ovnik" button on the bottom it list key words such as
                      "ambulancia". If you put the keyword in and the town, it will list all the
                      "ambulancia" (out patient clinics) in the town.

                      You don't have to use diacritic marks. If you're unsure of the spelling in
                      a name of person or town, try the first 3 letters of the name or town or
                      both to get a larger selection.

                      N�zov alebo priezvisko* - Put in the surname, at least 3 letters

                      Kl�c^ov� slovo* - Keyword (means - Ako kl�cov� slovo m�zete pouzit niektor�
                      heslo z branzovn�ka. - which I didn't translate because I don't use it. I
                      leave it blank)

                      Ulica - Street - leave blank unless known

                      C�slo domu - House number if known

                      Mesto* - Town - must have at least the first three letters of the town. At
                      one time you could use just one and run the alphabet.

                      Smerov� telef�nne c�slo* = Area code leave blank unless known

                      vyhl'adat' = find

                      Click on the highlighted names to get the full address and phone numbers.

                      vymazat' = erase

                      Predch�zaj�cich 20 z�znamov = first 20 names

                      D'als^�ch 20 z�znamov = next 20 names

                      Zac^iatok str�nky = beginning page

                      spat' = back or return
                      **********
                      For postal codes use:

                      http://www.slposta.sk/online/hlpsc.htm

                      N�zov obce: Town name
                      Ulica: Street, if applicable

                      Good luck.

                      John

                    • John M.
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 24, 2002
                        At 06:12 PM 6/24/02 -0700, you wrote:

                        > Dear John,
                        >Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone
                        >book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't
                        >work for me.
                        >Susan

                        Try http://www.slposta.sk/default.php

                        Click on "On-Line and then click on "PSC obci a ulic"

                        In the top window "Názov obce": put in the town name
                        In the window below "Ulica: (bez popisného císla)": put in the street

                        Click on Vyhladat

                        If you want to see a snazzy welcome page try http://www.slposta.sk/ . It
                        will take you to the first site I listed.

                        John
                      • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                          Dear John,
                          I took a peek at the zip code sites, but I didn't do a test tonight.
                          I'm wondering why some of the letters don't come out for me on the Slovak pages. The letter "N" and "L" sometimes appears as a rectangle. I've seen this before but never thought to ask anyone....Does anyone have an answer for me?
                          Susan
                          "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 06:12 PM 6/24/02 -0700, you wrote:

                          > Dear John,
                          >Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone
                          >book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't
                          >work for me.
                          >Susan

                          Try http://www.slposta.sk/default.php

                          Click on "On-Line and then click on "PSC obci a ulic"

                          In the top window "N�zov obce": put in the town name
                          In the window below "Ulica: (bez popisn�ho c�sla)": put in the street

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                            At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:

                            > Dear John,
                            >I took a peek at the zip code sites, but I didn't do a test tonight.
                            > I'm wondering why some of the letters don't come out for me on the
                            > Slovak pages. The letter "N" and "L" sometimes appears as a rectangle.
                            > I've seen this before but never thought to ask anyone....Does anyone have
                            > an answer for me?
                            >Susan

                            Slovak uses diacritic marks on some of the letters in the alphabet. If you
                            are not using Slovak font, you will see the "rectangles" and sometimes an
                            "e", etc. in place of the letters.

                            To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:

                            http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

                            John
                          • ginny schulze
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                              Ron, thanks for your comments, however, this note is
                              for you or anyone who has traveled in Slovakia. I am
                              planning a trip next spring with my husband, sister
                              and cousin to Hniezdne (Kniesen). We plan to fly into
                              Berlin, spend 3 nights there (researching my husband's
                              family as well as seeing the local sights), then
                              renting a car to drive to Prague for one night, then
                              on to Poprad or Tatranska Lomnica for 4 nights,
                              touring Hniezdne and surrounding areas to research our
                              roots. (Family surnames are Hobor and Raab, the local
                              Catholic Church is St. Bartolomaeus) Our ancestors
                              immigrated from Kniesen to Philadelphia around 1895.
                              We plan to continue driving to Budapest and then fly
                              home from Vienna. We only speak English, so please
                              advise if we are getting in over our heads. Are the
                              Hi-ways and roadside areas traveler friendly? We are
                              all well traveled people, however, have never
                              attempted a trip such as this. Would you suggest the
                              train from Berlin, to each our our stops, all the way
                              through to Vienna. All comments and suggestions are
                              appreciated.

                              Thanks, Ginny Schulze, Pennsylvania

                              http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                            • John M.
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                                At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you wrote:
                                >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
                                >
                                >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
                                >
                                >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm
                                >
                                >John
                                If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser you can choose
                                additional languages to use. I have set mine to read English, Slovak, and
                                Czech. Go to "Tools" and then click on "Internet Options". Next click on
                                "Languages" and then "Add" and select Slovak as one of your languages. I
                                believe this will place the letters with diacritics on your screen. I
                                don't think you have to download Slovak font to your computer to be able to
                                see the Slovak letters but I do have Slovak font downloaded so I'm not
                                certain if it is a necessary condition.

                                John
                              • Andrea Vangor
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                                  Possible answer: Because they have a diacritical mark attached and the
                                  whole symbol cannot be printed with your system. There is a L' character,
                                  pronounced sort of as Ly -- must be a similar N character (I should know
                                  this but have not been keeping up with Slovak studies of late).

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                      John:

                                      How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
                                      with the marks on the letters?

                                      Thanks.

                                      Doris
                                    • John M.
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                        t several optionsAt 02:55 PM 6/27/02 -0400, you wrote:
                                        >John:
                                        >
                                        >How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
                                        >with the marks on the letters?
                                        >
                                        >Thanks.
                                        >
                                        >Doris

                                        I don't think you will have to download Slovak fonts. I'm not the best
                                        person to answer this question but I'll try. I use Windows 98. Go to "My
                                        Computer" and click on "Help" then type "language" in the search
                                        window. It will give you a few options. I believe you will have to do two
                                        things: 1. install multilanguage support, and 2. install the Slovak Qwerty
                                        keyboard option.

                                        1. First install multilanguage support. "You can use Windows to create
                                        documents in many different languages. However, to create documents in a
                                        Central European-, Cyrillic-, Baltic-, Greek-, or Turkish-based language,
                                        you must install multilanguage support." (Slovak falls into Central
                                        European in this case I believe). After clicking on the "to install
                                        mutilanguage support" option, follow the step by step instructions.

                                        2. Next do a search on "keyboard" an select the "to add a keyboard
                                        language or layout" option and follow the instructions. You want to
                                        install the Qwerty Slovak keyboard. To see where the diacritic fonts are
                                        located
                                        see http://www.macromedia.com/support/fontographer/ts/documents/slovak.htm
                                        and scroll down to Slovak normal and Slovak shift.

                                        When you complete the two items above you should have a blue square with En
                                        in white on it located in the system tray of your task bar. When you click
                                        on the En icon, a window will open showing your language options. You
                                        should have a Sk icon to choose. When you click on the Sk icon it will
                                        give you the Slovak Qwerty keyboard to use. When you reverse the
                                        procedure, it will take you back to an English keyboard.

                                        The fonts should work in Wordpad, MS Word, Outlook Express and I'm sure
                                        other word processing software. I've heard some say the fonts came in
                                        their word processing software and all they had to do was set their
                                        preferences or options to use them. Good Luck.

                                        John
                                      • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                          After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                            At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                                            >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                                            >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                                            >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                                            >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                                            I hadn't tried printing a Slovak page from the Internet. I went
                                            to: http://www.slposta.sk/default.php and printed it. The diacritic marks
                                            printed. Are you set for Multilanguage and do you have the Qwerty Slovak
                                            keyboard selected in Windows?

                                            John
                                          • John M.
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                              At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                                              >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                                              >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                                              >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                                              >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?
                                              > "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you
                                              > wrote:
                                              > >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
                                              > >
                                              > >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

                                              I missed the site you mentioned initially (above) so I went to this site
                                              and it printed with diacritics.

                                              John