Re: [S-R] More for the Plavnica message

  • Jack VS
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 20, 2002
      Hello Gilbert:
      I saw your post about the Slovak phone book. Do you speak Slovak?? Is Backi Petrovac near you? I'm wondering if you could call three people there to find out if they are related to us. My private email is jvanders@...

      Would really appreciate it.

      Thanks

      Jack

      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 20, 2002
        At 01:23 AM 6/21/02 +0000, you wrote:

        >I'm new to this Listserv and in my haste I forgot a few things.
        >I need to add that Plavnica is in Slovakia, near the Polish border.

        My brother-in-law's father (Starinsky) was from Plavnica. He emigrated to
        New York (brothers in Brooklyn), then to PA and settled in Cleveland. I
        visited Plavnica for a few hours in the fall of 1999.
        The Pruzinsky sounds familiar. As I recall, my b-i-l had a relative named
        John who was a MD and had the surname of Plashinsky or Pruzinsky. I did
        find MD's Susan and Kathryn Pruzinsky by doing a Google search but no John.

        A search using the Slovak online directory showed 2 listings for Pruz^insky
        in Plavnica, 3 for Paran~a in Poprod (~60 miler SW), 7 Sekelsky in
        Plavnica, but very little luck with Lynka. I found a couple of Linka in
        Bratislava.

        The LDS has micro filmed the Roman Catholic church records in Plavnica for
        the period of 1693 to 1926.

        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=706871&disp=Cirkevn%C3%A1_matrika

        If you can't get there by clicking on the above go to:

        and do a place search on Plavnica and Sambron. The Greek Catholic records
        for Plavnica are, I believe, in with the Sambron records. Sambron is
        south of Plavnica. I could only find reference to RC, GC, and Jewish
        records for Plavnica. I'm sure there were Lutheran churches in some towns,
        especially since there were German villages in Upper Hungary. I believe
        there was an Evangelical (Lutheran) one in Stara Lubovna.

        The Dracula connection was most probably a fabricated one based on the
        Carpathian mountains. Dracula was supposedly located in Transylvania which
        is in the southern section of the Carpathians (near Romania) and quite some
        distance from Plavnica. http://www.draculascastle.com/index3.html There
        are castles in the area. There is a castle in Stara Lubovna near (about 10
        miles west)
        Plavnica http://www.slovakheritage.org/Castles/stara_lubovna.htm . There
        are loads of castles and ruins of castles in
        Slovakia http://www.castles.sk/index.php?show=cas .

        The Irish priest part is more plausible but Upper Hungary (now called
        Slovakia) was primarily Slavic and a Roman and Greek Catholic area for
        several centuries. That doesn't exclude the possibility of a missionary in
        the area. On the other hand, there are names such as Miklus^ (pronounced
        Miklush) and other variations even perhaps a Miklus^ky that might have come
        close to McCluskey. Good luck.

        John
      • John M.
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 20, 2002
          At 01:23 AM 6/21/02 +0000, you wrote:

          >I'm new to this Listserv and in my haste I forgot a few things.
          >I need to add that Plavnica is in Slovakia, near the Polish border.

          I forgot to add http://www.tccweb.org/plavnica.htm

          The Carpathian Connection site above has a history and photos of Plavnica.

          John
        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 21, 2002
            For three years I have been tracing my roots in Plavnica and Hromos. One
            of the names in my family tree is Margaretha Szekelyski.
            Through my local Family History Center I was able to order four rolls of
            film that have the records for Plavnica beginning in the 1600's and going to
            the 1920's.
            In a week I will be leaving for Slovakia and will spend a week in the
            Plavnica area. I would be happy to share what I have when I get back in
            August.
            The Dracula castle story isn't possible since it is located in the
            Wallachia district of Romania.
            Michael Mojher
            > I'm new to this Listserv and in my haste I forgot a few things.
            > I need to add that Plavnica is in Slovakia, near the Polish border.
            >
            > I need to add that my name is Susan (named after my grandmother) and
            > that I live in Western New York.
            >
            > Please see my previous message for the rest:
            > Searching for roots on the names Pruzinsky & Lynch (Lynka) &
            > McCluskey & Sekelsky & Parana all who were originally from Plavnica.
            >
            > Thank you.

          • Susan Friedhaber-Hard

              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 22, 2002
                At 11:00 AM 6/22/02 -0700, you wrote:

                > Dear Gil,
                >Thank you very much for the helpful information. Could you tell me how to
                >access the information on that site?

                In the event Gil is busy:

                Subject: Use These for Phone and Postal Code

                http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html SK phone directory

                Click on the map of Slovakia - Vsetky stanice v SR and then follow
                instructions below. Also, where it says Keyword, if you click on the
                "branz^ovnik" button on the bottom it list key words such as
                "ambulancia". If you put the keyword in and the town, it will list all the
                "ambulancia" (out patient clinics) in the town.

                You don't have to use diacritic marks. If you're unsure of the spelling in
                a name of person or town, try the first 3 letters of the name or town or
                both to get a larger selection.

                Názov alebo priezvisko* - Put in the surname, at least 3 letters

                Klúc^ové slovo* - Keyword (means - Ako klúcové slovo môzete pouzit niektoré
                heslo z branzovníka. - which I didn't translate because I don't use it. I
                leave it blank)

                Ulica - Street - leave blank unless known

                Císlo domu - House number if known

                Mesto* - Town - must have at least the first three letters of the town. At
                one time you could use just one and run the alphabet.

                Smerové telefónne císlo* = Area code leave blank unless known

                vyhl'adat' = find

                Click on the highlighted names to get the full address and phone numbers.

                vymazat' = erase

                Predcházajúcich 20 záznamov = first 20 names

                D'als^ích 20 záznamov = next 20 names

                Zac^iatok stránky = beginning page

                spat' = back or return
                **********
                For postal codes use:

                http://www.slposta.sk/online/hlpsc.htm

                Názov obce: Town name
                Ulica: Street, if applicable

                Good luck.

                John
              • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 22, 2002
                  Dear John,
                  Thank you very much for the information. I have already used the Family History Library to glean records on my Scottish ancestors before I visited Scotland in 1994. But I have never used the Internet for this kind of work. I may have some questions for you after I get started.
                  Susan Friedhaber-Hard

                  "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 01:23 AM 6/21/02 +0000, you wrote:

                  >I'm new to this Listserv and in my haste I forgot a few things.
                  >I need to add that Plavnica is in Slovakia, near the Polish border.

                  My brother-in-law's father (Starinsky) was from Plavnica. He emigrated to
                  New York (brothers in Brooklyn), then to PA and settled in Cleveland. I
                  visited Plavnica for a few hours in the fall of 1999.
                  The Pruzinsky sounds familiar. As I recall, my b-i-l had a relative named
                  John who was a MD and had the surname of Plashinsky or Pruzinsky. I did
                  find MD's Susan and Kathryn Pruzinsky by doing a Google search but no John.

                  A search using the Slovak online directory showed 2 listings for Pruz^insky
                  in Plavnica, 3 for Paran~a in Poprod (~60 miler SW), 7 Sekelsky in
                  Plavnica, but very little luck with Lynka. I found a couple of Linka in
                  Bratislava.

                  The LDS has micro filmed the Roman Catholic church records in Plavnica for
                  the period of 1693 to 1926.

                  http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=706871&disp=Cirkevn%C3%A1_matrika

                  If you can't get there by clicking on the above go to:

                  and do a place search on Plavnica and Sambron. The Greek Catholic records
                  for Plavnica are, I believe, in with the Sambron records. Sambron is
                  south of Plavnica. I could only find reference to RC, GC, and Jewish
                  records for Plavnica. I'm sure there were Lutheran churches in some towns,
                  especially since there were German villages in Upper Hungary. I believe
                  there was an Evangelical (Lutheran) one in Stara Lubovna.

                  The Dracula connection was most probably a fabricated one based on the
                  Carpathian mountains. Dracula was supposedly located in Transylvania which
                  is in the southern section of the Carpathians (near Romania) and quite some
                  distance from Plavnica. http://www.draculascastle.com/index3.html There
                  are castles in the area. There is a castle in Stara Lubovna near (about 10
                  miles west)
                  Plavnica http://www.slovakheritage.org/Castles/stara_lubovna.htm . There
                  are loads of castles and ruins of castles in
                  Slovakia http://www.castles.sk/index.php?show=cas .

                  The Irish priest part is more plausible but Upper Hungary (now called
                  Slovakia) was primarily Slavic and a Roman and Greek Catholic area for
                  several centuries. That doesn't exclude the possibility of a missionary in
                  the area. On the other hand, there are names such as Miklus^ (pronounced
                  Miklush) and other variations even perhaps a Miklus^ky that might have come
                  close to McCluskey. Good luck.

                  John

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 22, 2002
                    John,
                    Oh yes; I know this site...I've watched it as it changed....with the man swinging a sledgehammer, to a pink & yellow roses page; and now this one with some genealogical information.
                    Thanks, Susan

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 22, 2002
                      Dear Michael,
                      I would appreciate any practical information you can give me about travelling to the Plavnica area; after you return. For example, does one fly to Bratislava first and hire a driver?? If I wanted to go to Prague also, it seems far enough away from Plavnica, that it might be most sensible to fly there from a city near Plavnica, as opposed to taking a train or driving. I hope you have a wonderful trip.
                      Susan Friedhaber-Hard

                      Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote: For three years I have been tracing my roots in Plavnica and Hromos. One
                      of the names in my family tree is Margaretha Szekelyski.
                      Through my local Family History Center I was able to order four rolls of
                      film that have the records for Plavnica beginning in the 1600's and going to
                      the 1920's.
                      In a week I will be leaving for Slovakia and will spend a week in the
                      Plavnica area. I would be happy to share what I have when I get back in
                      August.
                      The Dracula castle story isn't possible since it is located in the
                      Wallachia district of Romania.
                      Michael Mojher
                      > I'm new to this Listserv and in my haste I forgot a few things.
                      > I need to add that Plavnica is in Slovakia, near the Polish border.
                      >
                      > I need to add that my name is Susan (named after my grandmother) and
                      > that I live in Western New York.
                      >
                      > Please see my previous message for the rest:
                      > Searching for roots on the names Pruzinsky & Lynch (Lynka) &
                      > McCluskey & Sekelsky & Parana all who were originally from Plavnica.
                      >
                      > Thank you.

                    • Ron Matviyak
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 22, 2002
                        Susan,

                        I just drove through Plavnica a few weeks ago. Yes, you do want to take
                        some public transportation from Prague unless you are used to driving in
                        European traffic and you can adapt to making three lane roads out of two
                        lane rods on an impromptu basis. It is a hard 8 hours drive from Prague to
                        Plavnica and it is also criminal to pass by so many beautiful places! When
                        you do get around to driving it, take your time and enjoy it!

                        For ease and time I would suggest lying from Prague to Kosice or Poprad and
                        renting a car. Bratislava is still a fair drive from Plavnica. You can
                        take trains or busses, and this will allow you to mingle with the local
                        people as well. Ask yourself if you are a healthy walker as well, and go
                        with good walking shoes if at all possible. Be ready for Appalachian type
                        mountains if you leave the road system. It is a beautiful area, so take as
                        much time as you can and enjoy it! If you do not stay with relatives, there
                        are rooms in Lubovna Kupella and Stara Lubovna, not too many km from the
                        village.

                        Ah, hiring a driver that can also double as translator is a good idea, as
                        you proposed.

                        > I would appreciate any practical information you can give me about
                        travelling to the Plavnica area; after you return. For example, does one fly
                        to Bratislava first and hire a driver?? If I wanted to go to Prague also, it
                        seems far enough away from Plavnica, that it might be most sensible to fly
                        there from a city near Plavnica, as opposed to taking a train or driving. I
                        hope you have a wonderful trip.
                        > Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                        >
                        > Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote: For three years I have been
                        tracing my roots in Plavnica and Hromos. One
                        > of the names in my family tree is Margaretha Szekelyski.
                        > Through my local Family History Center I was able to order four rolls
                        of
                        > film that have the records for Plavnica beginning in the 1600's and going
                        > the 1920's.
                        > In a week I will be leaving for Slovakia and will spend a week in the
                        > Plavnica area. I would be happy to share what I have when I get back in
                        > August.
                        > The Dracula castle story isn't possible since it is located in the
                        > Wallachia district of Romania.
                        > Michael Mojher

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • barclaypenn
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 23, 2002
                          Dear Ron,
                          Thank you for the travel information. All of will be very useful to
                          me.
                          Susan

                          Service.

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Gilbert Kubancsek
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 23, 2002
                            Hello Susan.

                            Thanks for your message. I don�t read, write or speak Slovak either. I got some help on using the telephone directory from a friend.

                            Here are some instructions for your use;

                            Go to: http://www.zoznamst.sk

                            Click on: V�etky stanice v SR

                            The V�etky stanice v SR screen should appear.

                            In the N�yov alebo priezvisko box enter [ family name ] e.g. Sekelsk�

                            In the Mesto box enter: [city, town or village] e.g. Plavnica

                            No entrees are required in the other boxes.

                            Click on: Vyhladat

                            A screen should appear with four listings of Sekelsk� family members.

                            Click on any name and a screen will appear wirh name, address, & telephone number of that person.

                            If there are no persons in a location with the name you entered, this message will appear: Nen�jden� �iadny z�znam. Try a different name or location.

                            I hope this helps.

                            Good Luck

                            Gil Kubancsek

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 24, 2002
                              Dear John,
                              Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't work for me.
                              Susan

                              "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 11:00 AM 6/22/02 -0700, you wrote:

                              > Dear Gil,
                              >Thank you very much for the helpful information. Could you tell me how to
                              >access the information on that site?

                              In the event Gil is busy:

                              http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html SK phone directory

                              Click on the map of Slovakia - Vsetky stanice v SR and then follow
                              instructions below. Also, where it says Keyword, if you click on the
                              "branz^ovnik" button on the bottom it list key words such as
                              "ambulancia". If you put the keyword in and the town, it will list all the
                              "ambulancia" (out patient clinics) in the town.

                              You don't have to use diacritic marks. If you're unsure of the spelling in
                              a name of person or town, try the first 3 letters of the name or town or
                              both to get a larger selection.

                              N�zov alebo priezvisko* - Put in the surname, at least 3 letters

                              Kl�c^ov� slovo* - Keyword (means - Ako kl�cov� slovo m�zete pouzit niektor�
                              heslo z branzovn�ka. - which I didn't translate because I don't use it. I
                              leave it blank)

                              Ulica - Street - leave blank unless known

                              C�slo domu - House number if known

                              Mesto* - Town - must have at least the first three letters of the town. At
                              one time you could use just one and run the alphabet.

                              Smerov� telef�nne c�slo* = Area code leave blank unless known

                              vyhl'adat' = find

                              Click on the highlighted names to get the full address and phone numbers.

                              vymazat' = erase

                              Predch�zaj�cich 20 z�znamov = first 20 names

                              D'als^�ch 20 z�znamov = next 20 names

                              Zac^iatok str�nky = beginning page

                              spat' = back or return
                              **********
                              For postal codes use:

                              http://www.slposta.sk/online/hlpsc.htm

                              N�zov obce: Town name
                              Ulica: Street, if applicable

                              Good luck.

                              John

                            • John M.
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 24, 2002
                                At 06:12 PM 6/24/02 -0700, you wrote:

                                > Dear John,
                                >Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone
                                >book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't
                                >work for me.
                                >Susan

                                Try http://www.slposta.sk/default.php

                                Click on "On-Line and then click on "PSC obci a ulic"

                                In the top window "Názov obce": put in the town name
                                In the window below "Ulica: (bez popisného císla)": put in the street

                                Click on Vyhladat

                                If you want to see a snazzy welcome page try http://www.slposta.sk/ . It
                                will take you to the first site I listed.

                                John
                              • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                                  Dear John,
                                  I took a peek at the zip code sites, but I didn't do a test tonight.
                                  I'm wondering why some of the letters don't come out for me on the Slovak pages. The letter "N" and "L" sometimes appears as a rectangle. I've seen this before but never thought to ask anyone....Does anyone have an answer for me?
                                  Susan
                                  "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 06:12 PM 6/24/02 -0700, you wrote:

                                  > Dear John,
                                  >Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone
                                  >book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't
                                  >work for me.
                                  >Susan

                                  Try http://www.slposta.sk/default.php

                                  Click on "On-Line and then click on "PSC obci a ulic"

                                  In the top window "N�zov obce": put in the town name
                                  In the window below "Ulica: (bez popisn�ho c�sla)": put in the street

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                                    At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:

                                    > Dear John,
                                    >I took a peek at the zip code sites, but I didn't do a test tonight.
                                    > I'm wondering why some of the letters don't come out for me on the
                                    > Slovak pages. The letter "N" and "L" sometimes appears as a rectangle.
                                    > I've seen this before but never thought to ask anyone....Does anyone have
                                    > an answer for me?
                                    >Susan

                                    Slovak uses diacritic marks on some of the letters in the alphabet. If you
                                    are not using Slovak font, you will see the "rectangles" and sometimes an
                                    "e", etc. in place of the letters.

                                    To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:

                                    http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

                                    John
                                  • ginny schulze
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                                      Ron, thanks for your comments, however, this note is
                                      for you or anyone who has traveled in Slovakia. I am
                                      planning a trip next spring with my husband, sister
                                      and cousin to Hniezdne (Kniesen). We plan to fly into
                                      Berlin, spend 3 nights there (researching my husband's
                                      family as well as seeing the local sights), then
                                      renting a car to drive to Prague for one night, then
                                      on to Poprad or Tatranska Lomnica for 4 nights,
                                      touring Hniezdne and surrounding areas to research our
                                      roots. (Family surnames are Hobor and Raab, the local
                                      Catholic Church is St. Bartolomaeus) Our ancestors
                                      immigrated from Kniesen to Philadelphia around 1895.
                                      We plan to continue driving to Budapest and then fly
                                      home from Vienna. We only speak English, so please
                                      advise if we are getting in over our heads. Are the
                                      Hi-ways and roadside areas traveler friendly? We are
                                      all well traveled people, however, have never
                                      attempted a trip such as this. Would you suggest the
                                      train from Berlin, to each our our stops, all the way
                                      through to Vienna. All comments and suggestions are
                                      appreciated.

                                      Thanks, Ginny Schulze, Pennsylvania

                                      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                                    • John M.
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                                        At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you wrote:
                                        >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
                                        >
                                        >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
                                        >
                                        >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm
                                        >
                                        >John
                                        If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser you can choose
                                        additional languages to use. I have set mine to read English, Slovak, and
                                        Czech. Go to "Tools" and then click on "Internet Options". Next click on
                                        "Languages" and then "Add" and select Slovak as one of your languages. I
                                        believe this will place the letters with diacritics on your screen. I
                                        don't think you have to download Slovak font to your computer to be able to
                                        see the Slovak letters but I do have Slovak font downloaded so I'm not
                                        certain if it is a necessary condition.

                                        John
                                      • Andrea Vangor
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                                          Possible answer: Because they have a diacritical mark attached and the
                                          whole symbol cannot be printed with your system. There is a L' character,
                                          pronounced sort of as Ly -- must be a similar N character (I should know
                                          this but have not been keeping up with Slovak studies of late).

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                              John:

                                              How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
                                              with the marks on the letters?

                                              Thanks.

                                              Doris
                                            • John M.
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                                t several optionsAt 02:55 PM 6/27/02 -0400, you wrote:
                                                >John:
                                                >
                                                >How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
                                                >with the marks on the letters?
                                                >
                                                >Thanks.
                                                >
                                                >Doris

                                                I don't think you will have to download Slovak fonts. I'm not the best
                                                person to answer this question but I'll try. I use Windows 98. Go to "My
                                                Computer" and click on "Help" then type "language" in the search
                                                window. It will give you a few options. I believe you will have to do two
                                                things: 1. install multilanguage support, and 2. install the Slovak Qwerty
                                                keyboard option.

                                                1. First install multilanguage support. "You can use Windows to create
                                                documents in many different languages. However, to create documents in a
                                                Central European-, Cyrillic-, Baltic-, Greek-, or Turkish-based language,
                                                you must install multilanguage support." (Slovak falls into Central
                                                European in this case I believe). After clicking on the "to install
                                                mutilanguage support" option, follow the step by step instructions.

                                                2. Next do a search on "keyboard" an select the "to add a keyboard
                                                language or layout" option and follow the instructions. You want to
                                                install the Qwerty Slovak keyboard. To see where the diacritic fonts are
                                                located
                                                see http://www.macromedia.com/support/fontographer/ts/documents/slovak.htm
                                                and scroll down to Slovak normal and Slovak shift.

                                                When you complete the two items above you should have a blue square with En
                                                in white on it located in the system tray of your task bar. When you click
                                                on the En icon, a window will open showing your language options. You
                                                should have a Sk icon to choose. When you click on the Sk icon it will
                                                give you the Slovak Qwerty keyboard to use. When you reverse the
                                                procedure, it will take you back to an English keyboard.

                                                The fonts should work in Wordpad, MS Word, Outlook Express and I'm sure
                                                other word processing software. I've heard some say the fonts came in
                                                their word processing software and all they had to do was set their
                                                preferences or options to use them. Good Luck.

                                                John
                                              • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                                  After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                                    At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                                                    >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                                                    >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                                                    >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                                                    >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                                                    I hadn't tried printing a Slovak page from the Internet. I went
                                                    to: http://www.slposta.sk/default.php and printed it. The diacritic marks
                                                    printed. Are you set for Multilanguage and do you have the Qwerty Slovak
                                                    keyboard selected in Windows?

                                                    John
                                                  • John M.
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                                      At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                                                      >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                                                      >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                                                      >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                                                      >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?
                                                      > "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you
                                                      > wrote:
                                                      > >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
                                                      > >
                                                      > >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

                                                      I missed the site you mentioned initially (above) so I went to this site
                                                      and it printed with diacritics.

                                                      John