More for the Plavnica message

  • barclaypenn
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 20, 2002
      I'm new to this Listserv and in my haste I forgot a few things.
      I need to add that Plavnica is in Slovakia, near the Polish border.

      I need to add that my name is Susan (named after my grandmother) and
      that I live in Western New York.

      Please see my previous message for the rest:
      Searching for roots on the names Pruzinsky & Lynch (Lynka) &
      McCluskey & Sekelsky & Parana all who were originally from Plavnica.

      Thank you.
    • Gilbert Kubancsek
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 20, 2002
        To Susan.
        The Slovak telephone book includes the following listings:
        Stefan Pruzinsky, Vladimir Pruzinsky

        Frantisek Sekelsky, Jozef Sekelsky, Miroslav Sekelsky, Stefan Sekelsky

        Names, addresses & telephone numbers can be found at http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html

        Hope this helps.

        Gil Kubancsek
        barclaypenn <barclaypenn@...> wrote:
        I'm new to this Listserv and in my haste I forgot a few things.
        I need to add that Plavnica is in Slovakia, near the Polish border.

        I need to add that my name is Susan (named after my grandmother) and
        that I live in Western New York.

        Please see my previous message for the rest:
        Searching for roots on the names Pruzinsky & Lynch (Lynka) &
        McCluskey & Sekelsky & Parana all who were originally from Plavnica.

        Thank you.

      • Jack VS
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 20, 2002
          Hello Gilbert:
          I saw your post about the Slovak phone book. Do you speak Slovak?? Is Backi Petrovac near you? I'm wondering if you could call three people there to find out if they are related to us. My private email is jvanders@...

          Would really appreciate it.

          Thanks

          Jack

          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 20, 2002
            At 01:23 AM 6/21/02 +0000, you wrote:

            >I'm new to this Listserv and in my haste I forgot a few things.
            >I need to add that Plavnica is in Slovakia, near the Polish border.

            My brother-in-law's father (Starinsky) was from Plavnica. He emigrated to
            New York (brothers in Brooklyn), then to PA and settled in Cleveland. I
            visited Plavnica for a few hours in the fall of 1999.
            The Pruzinsky sounds familiar. As I recall, my b-i-l had a relative named
            John who was a MD and had the surname of Plashinsky or Pruzinsky. I did
            find MD's Susan and Kathryn Pruzinsky by doing a Google search but no John.

            A search using the Slovak online directory showed 2 listings for Pruz^insky
            in Plavnica, 3 for Paran~a in Poprod (~60 miler SW), 7 Sekelsky in
            Plavnica, but very little luck with Lynka. I found a couple of Linka in
            Bratislava.

            The LDS has micro filmed the Roman Catholic church records in Plavnica for
            the period of 1693 to 1926.

            http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=706871&disp=Cirkevn%C3%A1_matrika

            If you can't get there by clicking on the above go to:

            and do a place search on Plavnica and Sambron. The Greek Catholic records
            for Plavnica are, I believe, in with the Sambron records. Sambron is
            south of Plavnica. I could only find reference to RC, GC, and Jewish
            records for Plavnica. I'm sure there were Lutheran churches in some towns,
            especially since there were German villages in Upper Hungary. I believe
            there was an Evangelical (Lutheran) one in Stara Lubovna.

            The Dracula connection was most probably a fabricated one based on the
            Carpathian mountains. Dracula was supposedly located in Transylvania which
            is in the southern section of the Carpathians (near Romania) and quite some
            distance from Plavnica. http://www.draculascastle.com/index3.html There
            are castles in the area. There is a castle in Stara Lubovna near (about 10
            miles west)
            Plavnica http://www.slovakheritage.org/Castles/stara_lubovna.htm . There
            are loads of castles and ruins of castles in
            Slovakia http://www.castles.sk/index.php?show=cas .

            The Irish priest part is more plausible but Upper Hungary (now called
            Slovakia) was primarily Slavic and a Roman and Greek Catholic area for
            several centuries. That doesn't exclude the possibility of a missionary in
            the area. On the other hand, there are names such as Miklus^ (pronounced
            Miklush) and other variations even perhaps a Miklus^ky that might have come
            close to McCluskey. Good luck.

            John
          • John M.
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 20, 2002
              At 01:23 AM 6/21/02 +0000, you wrote:

              >I'm new to this Listserv and in my haste I forgot a few things.
              >I need to add that Plavnica is in Slovakia, near the Polish border.

              I forgot to add http://www.tccweb.org/plavnica.htm

              The Carpathian Connection site above has a history and photos of Plavnica.

              John
            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 21, 2002
                For three years I have been tracing my roots in Plavnica and Hromos. One
                of the names in my family tree is Margaretha Szekelyski.
                Through my local Family History Center I was able to order four rolls of
                film that have the records for Plavnica beginning in the 1600's and going to
                the 1920's.
                In a week I will be leaving for Slovakia and will spend a week in the
                Plavnica area. I would be happy to share what I have when I get back in
                August.
                The Dracula castle story isn't possible since it is located in the
                Wallachia district of Romania.
                Michael Mojher
                > I'm new to this Listserv and in my haste I forgot a few things.
                > I need to add that Plavnica is in Slovakia, near the Polish border.
                >
                > I need to add that my name is Susan (named after my grandmother) and
                > that I live in Western New York.
                >
                > Please see my previous message for the rest:
                > Searching for roots on the names Pruzinsky & Lynch (Lynka) &
                > McCluskey & Sekelsky & Parana all who were originally from Plavnica.
                >
                > Thank you.

              • Susan Friedhaber-Hard

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 22, 2002
                    At 11:00 AM 6/22/02 -0700, you wrote:

                    > Dear Gil,
                    >Thank you very much for the helpful information. Could you tell me how to
                    >access the information on that site?

                    In the event Gil is busy:

                    Subject: Use These for Phone and Postal Code

                    http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html SK phone directory

                    Click on the map of Slovakia - Vsetky stanice v SR and then follow
                    instructions below. Also, where it says Keyword, if you click on the
                    "branz^ovnik" button on the bottom it list key words such as
                    "ambulancia". If you put the keyword in and the town, it will list all the
                    "ambulancia" (out patient clinics) in the town.

                    You don't have to use diacritic marks. If you're unsure of the spelling in
                    a name of person or town, try the first 3 letters of the name or town or
                    both to get a larger selection.

                    Názov alebo priezvisko* - Put in the surname, at least 3 letters

                    Klúc^ové slovo* - Keyword (means - Ako klúcové slovo môzete pouzit niektoré
                    heslo z branzovníka. - which I didn't translate because I don't use it. I
                    leave it blank)

                    Ulica - Street - leave blank unless known

                    Císlo domu - House number if known

                    Mesto* - Town - must have at least the first three letters of the town. At
                    one time you could use just one and run the alphabet.

                    Smerové telefónne císlo* = Area code leave blank unless known

                    vyhl'adat' = find

                    Click on the highlighted names to get the full address and phone numbers.

                    vymazat' = erase

                    Predcházajúcich 20 záznamov = first 20 names

                    D'als^ích 20 záznamov = next 20 names

                    Zac^iatok stránky = beginning page

                    spat' = back or return
                    **********
                    For postal codes use:

                    http://www.slposta.sk/online/hlpsc.htm

                    Názov obce: Town name
                    Ulica: Street, if applicable

                    Good luck.

                    John
                  • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 22, 2002
                      Dear John,
                      Thank you very much for the information. I have already used the Family History Library to glean records on my Scottish ancestors before I visited Scotland in 1994. But I have never used the Internet for this kind of work. I may have some questions for you after I get started.
                      Susan Friedhaber-Hard

                      "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 01:23 AM 6/21/02 +0000, you wrote:

                      >I'm new to this Listserv and in my haste I forgot a few things.
                      >I need to add that Plavnica is in Slovakia, near the Polish border.

                      My brother-in-law's father (Starinsky) was from Plavnica. He emigrated to
                      New York (brothers in Brooklyn), then to PA and settled in Cleveland. I
                      visited Plavnica for a few hours in the fall of 1999.
                      The Pruzinsky sounds familiar. As I recall, my b-i-l had a relative named
                      John who was a MD and had the surname of Plashinsky or Pruzinsky. I did
                      find MD's Susan and Kathryn Pruzinsky by doing a Google search but no John.

                      A search using the Slovak online directory showed 2 listings for Pruz^insky
                      in Plavnica, 3 for Paran~a in Poprod (~60 miler SW), 7 Sekelsky in
                      Plavnica, but very little luck with Lynka. I found a couple of Linka in
                      Bratislava.

                      The LDS has micro filmed the Roman Catholic church records in Plavnica for
                      the period of 1693 to 1926.

                      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=706871&disp=Cirkevn%C3%A1_matrika

                      If you can't get there by clicking on the above go to:

                      and do a place search on Plavnica and Sambron. The Greek Catholic records
                      for Plavnica are, I believe, in with the Sambron records. Sambron is
                      south of Plavnica. I could only find reference to RC, GC, and Jewish
                      records for Plavnica. I'm sure there were Lutheran churches in some towns,
                      especially since there were German villages in Upper Hungary. I believe
                      there was an Evangelical (Lutheran) one in Stara Lubovna.

                      The Dracula connection was most probably a fabricated one based on the
                      Carpathian mountains. Dracula was supposedly located in Transylvania which
                      is in the southern section of the Carpathians (near Romania) and quite some
                      distance from Plavnica. http://www.draculascastle.com/index3.html There
                      are castles in the area. There is a castle in Stara Lubovna near (about 10
                      miles west)
                      Plavnica http://www.slovakheritage.org/Castles/stara_lubovna.htm . There
                      are loads of castles and ruins of castles in
                      Slovakia http://www.castles.sk/index.php?show=cas .

                      The Irish priest part is more plausible but Upper Hungary (now called
                      Slovakia) was primarily Slavic and a Roman and Greek Catholic area for
                      several centuries. That doesn't exclude the possibility of a missionary in
                      the area. On the other hand, there are names such as Miklus^ (pronounced
                      Miklush) and other variations even perhaps a Miklus^ky that might have come
                      close to McCluskey. Good luck.

                      John

                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 22, 2002
                        John,
                        Oh yes; I know this site...I've watched it as it changed....with the man swinging a sledgehammer, to a pink & yellow roses page; and now this one with some genealogical information.
                        Thanks, Susan

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 22, 2002
                          Dear Michael,
                          I would appreciate any practical information you can give me about travelling to the Plavnica area; after you return. For example, does one fly to Bratislava first and hire a driver?? If I wanted to go to Prague also, it seems far enough away from Plavnica, that it might be most sensible to fly there from a city near Plavnica, as opposed to taking a train or driving. I hope you have a wonderful trip.
                          Susan Friedhaber-Hard

                          Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote: For three years I have been tracing my roots in Plavnica and Hromos. One
                          of the names in my family tree is Margaretha Szekelyski.
                          Through my local Family History Center I was able to order four rolls of
                          film that have the records for Plavnica beginning in the 1600's and going to
                          the 1920's.
                          In a week I will be leaving for Slovakia and will spend a week in the
                          Plavnica area. I would be happy to share what I have when I get back in
                          August.
                          The Dracula castle story isn't possible since it is located in the
                          Wallachia district of Romania.
                          Michael Mojher
                          > I'm new to this Listserv and in my haste I forgot a few things.
                          > I need to add that Plavnica is in Slovakia, near the Polish border.
                          >
                          > I need to add that my name is Susan (named after my grandmother) and
                          > that I live in Western New York.
                          >
                          > Please see my previous message for the rest:
                          > Searching for roots on the names Pruzinsky & Lynch (Lynka) &
                          > McCluskey & Sekelsky & Parana all who were originally from Plavnica.
                          >
                          > Thank you.

                        • Ron Matviyak
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 22, 2002
                            Susan,

                            I just drove through Plavnica a few weeks ago. Yes, you do want to take
                            some public transportation from Prague unless you are used to driving in
                            European traffic and you can adapt to making three lane roads out of two
                            lane rods on an impromptu basis. It is a hard 8 hours drive from Prague to
                            Plavnica and it is also criminal to pass by so many beautiful places! When
                            you do get around to driving it, take your time and enjoy it!

                            For ease and time I would suggest lying from Prague to Kosice or Poprad and
                            renting a car. Bratislava is still a fair drive from Plavnica. You can
                            take trains or busses, and this will allow you to mingle with the local
                            people as well. Ask yourself if you are a healthy walker as well, and go
                            with good walking shoes if at all possible. Be ready for Appalachian type
                            mountains if you leave the road system. It is a beautiful area, so take as
                            much time as you can and enjoy it! If you do not stay with relatives, there
                            are rooms in Lubovna Kupella and Stara Lubovna, not too many km from the
                            village.

                            Ah, hiring a driver that can also double as translator is a good idea, as
                            you proposed.

                            > I would appreciate any practical information you can give me about
                            travelling to the Plavnica area; after you return. For example, does one fly
                            to Bratislava first and hire a driver?? If I wanted to go to Prague also, it
                            seems far enough away from Plavnica, that it might be most sensible to fly
                            there from a city near Plavnica, as opposed to taking a train or driving. I
                            hope you have a wonderful trip.
                            > Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                            >
                            > Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote: For three years I have been
                            tracing my roots in Plavnica and Hromos. One
                            > of the names in my family tree is Margaretha Szekelyski.
                            > Through my local Family History Center I was able to order four rolls
                            of
                            > film that have the records for Plavnica beginning in the 1600's and going
                            > the 1920's.
                            > In a week I will be leaving for Slovakia and will spend a week in the
                            > Plavnica area. I would be happy to share what I have when I get back in
                            > August.
                            > The Dracula castle story isn't possible since it is located in the
                            > Wallachia district of Romania.
                            > Michael Mojher

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • barclaypenn
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 23, 2002
                              Dear Ron,
                              Thank you for the travel information. All of will be very useful to
                              me.
                              Susan

                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Ron Matviyak" <amiak@a...> wrote:
                              > Susan,
                              >
                              > I just drove through Plavnica a few weeks ago. Yes, you do want to
                              take
                              > some public transportation from Prague unless you are used to
                              driving in
                              > European traffic and you can adapt to making three lane roads out
                              of two
                              > lane rods on an impromptu basis. It is a hard 8 hours drive from
                              Prague to
                              > Plavnica and it is also criminal to pass by so many beautiful
                              places! When
                              > you do get around to driving it, take your time and enjoy it!
                              >
                              > For ease and time I would suggest lying from Prague to Kosice or
                              Poprad and
                              > renting a car. Bratislava is still a fair drive from Plavnica.
                              You can
                              > take trains or busses, and this will allow you to mingle with the
                              local
                              > people as well. Ask yourself if you are a healthy walker as well,
                              and go
                              > with good walking shoes if at all possible. Be ready for
                              Appalachian type
                              > mountains if you leave the road system. It is a beautiful area, so
                              take as
                              > much time as you can and enjoy it! If you do not stay with
                              relatives, there
                              > are rooms in Lubovna Kupella and Stara Lubovna, not too many km
                              from the
                              > village.
                              >
                              > Ah, hiring a driver that can also double as translator is a good
                              idea, as
                              > you proposed.

                              Service.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 23, 2002
                                Hello Susan.

                                Thanks for your message. I don�t read, write or speak Slovak either. I got some help on using the telephone directory from a friend.

                                Here are some instructions for your use;

                                Go to: http://www.zoznamst.sk

                                Click on: V�etky stanice v SR

                                The V�etky stanice v SR screen should appear.

                                In the N�yov alebo priezvisko box enter [ family name ] e.g. Sekelsk�

                                In the Mesto box enter: [city, town or village] e.g. Plavnica

                                No entrees are required in the other boxes.

                                Click on: Vyhladat

                                A screen should appear with four listings of Sekelsk� family members.

                                Click on any name and a screen will appear wirh name, address, & telephone number of that person.

                                If there are no persons in a location with the name you entered, this message will appear: Nen�jden� �iadny z�znam. Try a different name or location.

                                I hope this helps.

                                Good Luck

                                Gil Kubancsek

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 24, 2002
                                  Dear John,
                                  Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't work for me.
                                  Susan

                                  "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 11:00 AM 6/22/02 -0700, you wrote:

                                  > Dear Gil,
                                  >Thank you very much for the helpful information. Could you tell me how to
                                  >access the information on that site?

                                  In the event Gil is busy:

                                  http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html SK phone directory

                                  Click on the map of Slovakia - Vsetky stanice v SR and then follow
                                  instructions below. Also, where it says Keyword, if you click on the
                                  "branz^ovnik" button on the bottom it list key words such as
                                  "ambulancia". If you put the keyword in and the town, it will list all the
                                  "ambulancia" (out patient clinics) in the town.

                                  You don't have to use diacritic marks. If you're unsure of the spelling in
                                  a name of person or town, try the first 3 letters of the name or town or
                                  both to get a larger selection.

                                  N�zov alebo priezvisko* - Put in the surname, at least 3 letters

                                  Kl�c^ov� slovo* - Keyword (means - Ako kl�cov� slovo m�zete pouzit niektor�
                                  heslo z branzovn�ka. - which I didn't translate because I don't use it. I
                                  leave it blank)

                                  Ulica - Street - leave blank unless known

                                  C�slo domu - House number if known

                                  Mesto* - Town - must have at least the first three letters of the town. At
                                  one time you could use just one and run the alphabet.

                                  Smerov� telef�nne c�slo* = Area code leave blank unless known

                                  vyhl'adat' = find

                                  Click on the highlighted names to get the full address and phone numbers.

                                  vymazat' = erase

                                  Predch�zaj�cich 20 z�znamov = first 20 names

                                  D'als^�ch 20 z�znamov = next 20 names

                                  Zac^iatok str�nky = beginning page

                                  spat' = back or return
                                  **********
                                  For postal codes use:

                                  http://www.slposta.sk/online/hlpsc.htm

                                  N�zov obce: Town name
                                  Ulica: Street, if applicable

                                  Good luck.

                                  John

                                • John M.
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 24, 2002
                                    At 06:12 PM 6/24/02 -0700, you wrote:

                                    > Dear John,
                                    >Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone
                                    >book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't
                                    >work for me.
                                    >Susan

                                    Try http://www.slposta.sk/default.php

                                    Click on "On-Line and then click on "PSC obci a ulic"

                                    In the top window "Názov obce": put in the town name
                                    In the window below "Ulica: (bez popisného císla)": put in the street

                                    Click on Vyhladat

                                    If you want to see a snazzy welcome page try http://www.slposta.sk/ . It
                                    will take you to the first site I listed.

                                    John
                                  • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                                      Dear John,
                                      I took a peek at the zip code sites, but I didn't do a test tonight.
                                      I'm wondering why some of the letters don't come out for me on the Slovak pages. The letter "N" and "L" sometimes appears as a rectangle. I've seen this before but never thought to ask anyone....Does anyone have an answer for me?
                                      Susan
                                      "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 06:12 PM 6/24/02 -0700, you wrote:

                                      > Dear John,
                                      >Thank you so much for the detailed information on how to use the phone
                                      >book. I got many hits. However, the second link for the zip codes didn't
                                      >work for me.
                                      >Susan

                                      Try http://www.slposta.sk/default.php

                                      Click on "On-Line and then click on "PSC obci a ulic"

                                      In the top window "N�zov obce": put in the town name
                                      In the window below "Ulica: (bez popisn�ho c�sla)": put in the street

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                                        At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:

                                        > Dear John,
                                        >I took a peek at the zip code sites, but I didn't do a test tonight.
                                        > I'm wondering why some of the letters don't come out for me on the
                                        > Slovak pages. The letter "N" and "L" sometimes appears as a rectangle.
                                        > I've seen this before but never thought to ask anyone....Does anyone have
                                        > an answer for me?
                                        >Susan

                                        Slovak uses diacritic marks on some of the letters in the alphabet. If you
                                        are not using Slovak font, you will see the "rectangles" and sometimes an
                                        "e", etc. in place of the letters.

                                        To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:

                                        http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

                                        John
                                      • ginny schulze
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                                          Ron, thanks for your comments, however, this note is
                                          for you or anyone who has traveled in Slovakia. I am
                                          planning a trip next spring with my husband, sister
                                          and cousin to Hniezdne (Kniesen). We plan to fly into
                                          Berlin, spend 3 nights there (researching my husband's
                                          family as well as seeing the local sights), then
                                          renting a car to drive to Prague for one night, then
                                          on to Poprad or Tatranska Lomnica for 4 nights,
                                          touring Hniezdne and surrounding areas to research our
                                          roots. (Family surnames are Hobor and Raab, the local
                                          Catholic Church is St. Bartolomaeus) Our ancestors
                                          immigrated from Kniesen to Philadelphia around 1895.
                                          We plan to continue driving to Budapest and then fly
                                          home from Vienna. We only speak English, so please
                                          advise if we are getting in over our heads. Are the
                                          Hi-ways and roadside areas traveler friendly? We are
                                          all well traveled people, however, have never
                                          attempted a trip such as this. Would you suggest the
                                          train from Berlin, to each our our stops, all the way
                                          through to Vienna. All comments and suggestions are
                                          appreciated.

                                          Thanks, Ginny Schulze, Pennsylvania

                                          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                                        • John M.
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                                            At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you wrote:
                                            >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
                                            >
                                            >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
                                            >
                                            >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm
                                            >
                                            >John
                                            If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser you can choose
                                            additional languages to use. I have set mine to read English, Slovak, and
                                            Czech. Go to "Tools" and then click on "Internet Options". Next click on
                                            "Languages" and then "Add" and select Slovak as one of your languages. I
                                            believe this will place the letters with diacritics on your screen. I
                                            don't think you have to download Slovak font to your computer to be able to
                                            see the Slovak letters but I do have Slovak font downloaded so I'm not
                                            certain if it is a necessary condition.

                                            John
                                          • Andrea Vangor
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 26, 2002
                                              Possible answer: Because they have a diacritical mark attached and the
                                              whole symbol cannot be printed with your system. There is a L' character,
                                              pronounced sort of as Ly -- must be a similar N character (I should know
                                              this but have not been keeping up with Slovak studies of late).

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                                  John:

                                                  How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
                                                  with the marks on the letters?

                                                  Thanks.

                                                  Doris
                                                • John M.
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                                    t several optionsAt 02:55 PM 6/27/02 -0400, you wrote:
                                                    >John:
                                                    >
                                                    >How did you download Slovak font? IF I do that will it allow me to type
                                                    >with the marks on the letters?
                                                    >
                                                    >Thanks.
                                                    >
                                                    >Doris

                                                    I don't think you will have to download Slovak fonts. I'm not the best
                                                    person to answer this question but I'll try. I use Windows 98. Go to "My
                                                    Computer" and click on "Help" then type "language" in the search
                                                    window. It will give you a few options. I believe you will have to do two
                                                    things: 1. install multilanguage support, and 2. install the Slovak Qwerty
                                                    keyboard option.

                                                    1. First install multilanguage support. "You can use Windows to create
                                                    documents in many different languages. However, to create documents in a
                                                    Central European-, Cyrillic-, Baltic-, Greek-, or Turkish-based language,
                                                    you must install multilanguage support." (Slovak falls into Central
                                                    European in this case I believe). After clicking on the "to install
                                                    mutilanguage support" option, follow the step by step instructions.

                                                    2. Next do a search on "keyboard" an select the "to add a keyboard
                                                    language or layout" option and follow the instructions. You want to
                                                    install the Qwerty Slovak keyboard. To see where the diacritic fonts are
                                                    located
                                                    see http://www.macromedia.com/support/fontographer/ts/documents/slovak.htm
                                                    and scroll down to Slovak normal and Slovak shift.

                                                    When you complete the two items above you should have a blue square with En
                                                    in white on it located in the system tray of your task bar. When you click
                                                    on the En icon, a window will open showing your language options. You
                                                    should have a Sk icon to choose. When you click on the Sk icon it will
                                                    give you the Slovak Qwerty keyboard to use. When you reverse the
                                                    procedure, it will take you back to an English keyboard.

                                                    The fonts should work in Wordpad, MS Word, Outlook Express and I'm sure
                                                    other word processing software. I've heard some say the fonts came in
                                                    their word processing software and all they had to do was set their
                                                    preferences or options to use them. Good Luck.

                                                    John
                                                  • Susan Friedhaber-Hard
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                                      After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                                        At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                                                        >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                                                        >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                                                        >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                                                        >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?

                                                        I hadn't tried printing a Slovak page from the Internet. I went
                                                        to: http://www.slposta.sk/default.php and printed it. The diacritic marks
                                                        printed. Are you set for Multilanguage and do you have the Qwerty Slovak
                                                        keyboard selected in Windows?

                                                        John
                                                      • John M.
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jun 27, 2002
                                                          At 06:46 PM 6/27/02 -0700, you wrote:

                                                          >After I added Slovak in Internet Explorer and printed the pages with the
                                                          >Slovak alphabet on the site below....the rectangles still print, even
                                                          >though on the screen there are no rectangles and the diacritic marks are
                                                          >evident. Would I have to reboot, or just be resigned that they will not print?
                                                          > "John M." <jmatsko4@...> wrote: At 08:16 PM 6/26/02 -0600, you
                                                          > wrote:
                                                          > >At 06:48 PM 6/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
                                                          > >
                                                          > >To see the Slovak alphabet and the pronunciation of the letters, see:
                                                          > >
                                                          > >http://www.slavism.com/slovak/abc.htm

                                                          I missed the site you mentioned initially (above) so I went to this site
                                                          and it printed with diacritics.

                                                          John