Hrnciar

  • jvanders
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 2002
      Hello Everyone:
      I'm doing some research on Andrej Hrnciar and Maria Hrnciar both
      born in Bratislav the moved to Backa Petrovac in the early 1900's
      1900-1910 then emigrated to the US. Does anyone have any further
      information or hints on where to look.

      Thank you soo much
      Mary Henciar
    • frankly1us
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 15, 2002
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "jvanders" <jvanders@c...> wrote:
        > Hello Everyone:
        > I'm doing some research on Andrej Hrnciar and Maria Hrnciar both
        > born in Bratislav the moved to Backa Petrovac in the early 1900's
        > 1900-1910 then emigrated to the US. Does anyone have any further
        > information or hints on where to look.
        >
        > Thank you soo much
        > Mary Henciar

        I read two sets for your surname data.
        Bratislava (Sk) was called Pozsony in Hungarian and Pressburg in
        German.

        So, you are researching Slovak ? surnames who migrated to Serbia
        (later Yugoslavia) in 1900s.
        Surname Hrnciar does appear in Slovakia.

        In Generation 2, if Andrew Henciar was born in Backa district of
        Serbia.
        Then you are looking in the wrong country (Slovakia)

        Andreja (Andrew) is Serbian given name.
        Andrej, Ondrej (Andrew) is Slovak given name.
        András (Andrew) is Hungarian given name.

        Marija (Mary) is a South Slavic given name.
        Maria (Mary) is a Hungarian/Slovak/German given name.

        Kisel is a German surname at least back to 1550.
        Perhaps Donauschwaben (German)

        http://www.genealogienetz.de/reg/ESE/dsbatsch.html

        http://www.serbia-info.com/facts/districts/backa_south.html

        The first written records about Petrovac appears in the 13 th century
        when Petrovac is mentioned as a church parish belonging to Backa Z^upanija =
        (county)

        Village Names:

        German:
        Official: Petrovac
        Hungarian: Petröcz
        Spelling and/or dialect variants:

        Location:

        Country: Yugoslavia
        near Novi Sad
        Postal-Code:
        Railroad station:

        Population:

        1921: 7,658 (?)
        1910: 7,701 (149)
        1880: 7,403 (250)

        Genealogical Records:

        Village name in FHL records:
        Church records available at FHL:
        FHL Microfilm Nr.:
        FHL Census Microfilm: Petrovacz in 1828: 622967

        Miscellaneous:

        Bibliography
        Earliest German Settlement:
        Churches: Evangelical Lutheran/Bánya diocese, Jewish
        District: 7 - Újvidék