Re: [S-R] Survey - please read

  • Alan ANTOSKA
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2002
      Location, location, location!!!

      Use today's village name as researchers should be aware
      of the old village or country names/spelling variations.
      The aim is to have a researcher contact another
      researcher, looking in the same village, is it not?

      Searching by family name is like looking for a needle in
      a haystack. The first advice given to newbies is "Find
      the village of origin" and the door to your past will
      open.
      If you wish to search by family name, then Ancestry.com,
      etc will accommodate.

      http://www.sold.com.au - SOLD.com.au
      - Find yourself a bargain!
    • Gilbert Kubancsek
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12, 2002
        Thanks Maura for the opportunity to comment on your plan.
        I suggest for the Surname List a listing of the surname, location name & an email address to contact. The list would be sorted in alpha order.
        The Location List could contain the current location name, any previous names available and a email address for contact.
        Regards,
        Gil Kubancsek

        mpetzolt2@... wrote: I am reworking our Slovak Roots page (not ready for viewing yet), and I
        need to get -your- opinions on how to best list the surnames and places
        we are all researching. My goal is to make this page a real valuable
        research tool, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel. I am not trying
        to compete with any other pages existing (personally I think the more
        that is out there the better), but I do want to have a place to list
        surname interests , and maybe in our case, location interests.....
        because this is one great way to connect with others who are also
        researching that name or location.

        So my question is.. because of the nature of the special problems
        associated with researching the changing borders etc in this area....
        and also that many of us have many surnames in different areas... please
        read the ideas below, and then if you have an opinion, either send it
        to me privately, or you can send it to the list if you wish (but let's
        not debate it on the list)

        1. We could list by just surnames as on the following surname pages on
        my other sites (see the sections on surname interests on
        http://community.webtv.net/shamrockroots/corkigw
        http://community.webtv.net/shamrockroots/kingsny ) The problem with that
        is a) people will have lots of listings so they will have to follow the
        directions on how to submit (which I would make the same as those pages
        as I can just cut and paste) b) you can see from those pages already
        that the listings are long as those are two large counties. Ours would
        be much longer and I would probably have to divide it up into several
        pages. Persons would be limited to about 3 lines as on those pages.

        1a. We could just limit it to
        SURNAME, location yourname youremail and then someone would have to
        contact you for details. Sort of like Helene does her book. This would
        be good because it's in alphabetical order, easy for researchers.

        2. I could do something like they do on the Czeching out our Ancestors
        and Searching in Slovakia pages of iarelative.com -- where you get a
        paragraph or so to describe the whole shabang ---- I love those pages
        but have found them hard to search as there are several pages etc. A
        paragraph would be easier for me in a way to cut and paste , and again
        we'd probably end up with several pages. I might try and add a search
        engine to the site (tried that once with my Waterford page and it didn't
        work, but I could try it again, things are different with webtv,
        sometimes what works for everyone else won't work for me )

        4. I'd also like to have a page about what locations we are searching.
        So often on the list people say "I have those films" and we help each
        other, or maybe you have info on other families..... this would have to
        be just listed as location, maybe what religion , and your name , your
        email. Again, people could contact you if the wanted more info. The
        problem here of course is names changed... as did boundaries, so we'd
        have to decide how to do those (I may defer to Frank's opinion on that
        part)

        Please think carefully about this, and either send your opinion
        privately , or to the list if you want to share it with everyone. I'm
        working on the pages now, so please do so by this weekend.

        Any other suggestions for the website are welcomed, tho I can't promise
        everything :)

        Thanks,
        Maura

        Maura Petzolt mpetzolt2@...