Re: [S-R] Survey - please read

  • kathy dorsam
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2002
      Maura,
      I would love to see a Surname search with a cross
      reference to the village.
      My ancestors have numerous spellings to their names,
      but, I do know where they came from. E-mailing the
      individual is a good idea.

      You do a wonderful job on this site - it is much
      appreciated by me!

      Kathy Dorsam

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
    • Alan ANTOSKA
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12, 2002
        Location, location, location!!!

        Use today's village name as researchers should be aware
        of the old village or country names/spelling variations.
        The aim is to have a researcher contact another
        researcher, looking in the same village, is it not?

        Searching by family name is like looking for a needle in
        a haystack. The first advice given to newbies is "Find
        the village of origin" and the door to your past will
        open.
        If you wish to search by family name, then Ancestry.com,
        etc will accommodate.

        http://www.sold.com.au - SOLD.com.au
        - Find yourself a bargain!
      • Gilbert Kubancsek
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 12, 2002
          Thanks Maura for the opportunity to comment on your plan.
          I suggest for the Surname List a listing of the surname, location name & an email address to contact. The list would be sorted in alpha order.
          The Location List could contain the current location name, any previous names available and a email address for contact.
          Regards,
          Gil Kubancsek

          mpetzolt2@... wrote: I am reworking our Slovak Roots page (not ready for viewing yet), and I
          need to get -your- opinions on how to best list the surnames and places
          we are all researching. My goal is to make this page a real valuable
          research tool, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel. I am not trying
          to compete with any other pages existing (personally I think the more
          that is out there the better), but I do want to have a place to list
          surname interests , and maybe in our case, location interests.....
          because this is one great way to connect with others who are also
          researching that name or location.

          So my question is.. because of the nature of the special problems
          associated with researching the changing borders etc in this area....
          and also that many of us have many surnames in different areas... please
          read the ideas below, and then if you have an opinion, either send it
          to me privately, or you can send it to the list if you wish (but let's
          not debate it on the list)

          1. We could list by just surnames as on the following surname pages on
          my other sites (see the sections on surname interests on
          http://community.webtv.net/shamrockroots/corkigw
          http://community.webtv.net/shamrockroots/kingsny ) The problem with that
          is a) people will have lots of listings so they will have to follow the
          directions on how to submit (which I would make the same as those pages
          as I can just cut and paste) b) you can see from those pages already
          that the listings are long as those are two large counties. Ours would
          be much longer and I would probably have to divide it up into several
          pages. Persons would be limited to about 3 lines as on those pages.

          1a. We could just limit it to
          SURNAME, location yourname youremail and then someone would have to
          contact you for details. Sort of like Helene does her book. This would
          be good because it's in alphabetical order, easy for researchers.

          2. I could do something like they do on the Czeching out our Ancestors
          and Searching in Slovakia pages of iarelative.com -- where you get a
          paragraph or so to describe the whole shabang ---- I love those pages
          but have found them hard to search as there are several pages etc. A
          paragraph would be easier for me in a way to cut and paste , and again
          we'd probably end up with several pages. I might try and add a search
          engine to the site (tried that once with my Waterford page and it didn't
          work, but I could try it again, things are different with webtv,
          sometimes what works for everyone else won't work for me )

          4. I'd also like to have a page about what locations we are searching.
          So often on the list people say "I have those films" and we help each
          other, or maybe you have info on other families..... this would have to
          be just listed as location, maybe what religion , and your name , your
          email. Again, people could contact you if the wanted more info. The
          problem here of course is names changed... as did boundaries, so we'd
          have to decide how to do those (I may defer to Frank's opinion on that
          part)

          Please think carefully about this, and either send your opinion
          privately , or to the list if you want to share it with everyone. I'm
          working on the pages now, so please do so by this weekend.

          Any other suggestions for the website are welcomed, tho I can't promise
          everything :)

          Thanks,
          Maura

          Maura Petzolt mpetzolt2@...