about 1930 US census films

  • mpetzolt2@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2002
      I don't know if anyone has posted anything about this or not...
      hopefully it will help someone.

      I used to volunteer at my local FHC (and sort of unofficially still do)
      and have been asking the current director to find out exactly when the
      FHL in SLC will have the full set of 1930 US census films to rent/view
      (currently only available at NARA branches, and some scans online for a
      fee on certain sites).

      He said SLC told him they would be available this fall - did not know
      if we would have to call SLC for film numbers, but thought (based upon
      something else) that by then the online catalog and/or catalog CDs in
      FHCs were going to be updated.

      For info on the 1930 census, what it contains, what states are soundexed
      (mostly southern) see the section on it on my Helpful Hints page, url
      below. If you are going to be searching in a state not soundexed (like
      NY) it may take you from now til the fall to find the right ED # for
      your family. :(

      Maura

      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
      Maura Petzolt mpetzolt2@...
      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
      SHAMROCK ROOTS homepage

      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
    • Gilbert Kubancsek
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2002
        The manager of the Historical Genealogy Department of the Allen County Library in Fort Wayne Indiana reports that the 1930 US Census is now available in the library as well as the 12 states of soundex. Only 12 southern states have been indexed for 1930, and that index is the soundex.
        I have visited the library several times and have been inpressed with the resources available for use by visitors. These resources include passenger ship manifests, US Census for all states, US Military records, etc. all on microfilm and soundex. There is also equipment which is readily available for viewing the microfilm.
        Information on the Allen County Library is available at www.acpl.lib.in.us/genealogy
        Gil Kubancsek

        mpetzolt2@... wrote: I don't know if anyone has posted anything about this or not...
[...]

      • Tim Skvarenina
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 8, 2002
          There is a site that is very helpful for finding EDs
          in larger cities if you have an address where they
          lived:

          http://home.pacbell.net/spmorse/census/

          It's called the one-step index.

          Tim

          > mpetzolt2@... wrote:
          >

          > If you are going to be searching in a state
          > not soundexed (like
          > NY) it may take you from now til the fall to find
          > the right ED # for
          > your family. :(

          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
        • ANITA CHADDERTON
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 9, 2002
            Help I need a Cambell's soup list of the apprevations used by members. I am new and I is hard to follow the message if you do not understand. Can someone lead me to common abbrevations used list.
            ANITA
[...]

            ANITA L CHADDERTON

            a.chadderton@...

            looking for chadderton,love, mcbride,suthcliff,lombardi,haggerty,wrenn,verplast,elliot, edgecomb.

          • John M.
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 9, 2002
              At 05:34 AM 6/9/02 -0700, you wrote:

              >Help I need a Cambell's soup list of the apprevations used by members. I
              am new and I is hard to follow the message if you do not understand. Can
              someone lead me to common abbrevations used list.
              ANITA <

              LDS - Latter Day Saints
              FHC - Family History Center (operated by the LDS)
              FHL - Family History Library (s.a.a.)
              SLC - Salt Lake City
              NARA - National Archives and Records Administration
              EIDB - Ellis Island Database
              ED - Enumeration District (census)
              US - United States ;-)
              NY - New York ;-)