Why you should never give up!

  • mpetzolt2@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2002
      This is a great example why you should never give up searching, and why
      you should make sure your information is listed on mailing lists and
      message boards.....

      Most of you know I've been working on my McGlynn's in Brooklyn (from
      Ireland c. 1830) who I am desperately trying to connect with 2 Farrell
      families I find living next to the McGlynns, serving as godparents etc
      (I'm trying to make this short, for details see
      http://community.webtv.net/mpetzolt/genealogy , choose Paternal Irish)
      but can't find anything definite to prove it beyond any doubt. Many of
      you also know of my elusive GATHLENY search, as Catherine McGLYNN
      married Nicholas Gathleny in Brooklyn in 1863, moved around the US via
      the Army and ended up near me in Pensacola FL. That's been a total dead
      end ( pardon the pun) as Gathleny is evidently a mangling of some other
      name, and I haven't been able to connect with current relatives.

      Well, a little over a week ago I got an email from a Gathleny cousin who
      was mentioned in an obit I had, but could not find online, or anywhere
      for an address where they live in Texas. Basically I was about to give
      up when I got this email saying, "we did a search and found your info,
      and gee, all the names match. We need to talk on the phone".

      Two hours on the phone later, and bingo! I had all the stuff she didn't
      know, and she remembers all the major people in the research, and some
      current cousins still in Pensacola..... and the kicker was when she said
      she always heard the Farrells were connected to the McGlynn side! More
      evidence, only now, I have someone to work on it with me! And someone
      who actually -knew- my great aunts and uncles I have only "met" on
      paper!

      So the moral of the story is.. get your info out there. Put it on
      messages boards, mailing lists, do your own webpage. Search engines find
      this stuff, and maybe no one is looking for your people right now, but
      eventually someone is bound to.... and who knows where it will lead you!

      Hope this helps/inspires someone....

      Maura

      Maura Petzolt mpetzolt2@...
      SHAMROCK ROOTS homepage