Re: [S-R] re Novohrad County

  • Dr. Joe Quashnock
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2002
      It is in south central Slovakia 7 km north of Vel'ky' Krti's^ and 25 km north
      of the Hungarian border and the large Hungarian town of Balassagyarmat. The
      town of Horne' Strha're is small and has had the following population:
      1869 - 859
      1880 - 696
      1890 - 688
      1900 - 678
      1910 - 621
      1921 - 593
      1930 - 510
      1940 - 501
      1948 - 418
      1961 - 470
      1970 - 376

      But the area is not isolated.

      The Hungarian name was Felso"eszterga'ly and the town was located on the
      western border of the former Hungarian county of No'gra'd. The Hungarian
      county of Hont was west of No'gra'd.

      Here is a link to maps of the old Hungarian counties:

      http://www.akm.externet.hu/km/terkep/a19/index.htm

      Dr. "Q"