2 marriages - why?

  • mpetzolt2@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30 6:26 AM
      Opinions on the following situation....

      I am very carefully tracing my family in Sabinov, and have found that in
      the earlier years, some of the families were Lutheran, then it seems
      thru intermarriage some became Catholic. I have gone through all 5 of
      the Catholic films, and am now starting on the Lutheran ones.

      First I found the marriage in the Catholic records of Matthias Petrusska
      and Susanna Bursart/Burghardt in the Catholic church on 26 July 1752.
      That's what I've had down in my records.

      However, going through the Lutheran records, I found the baptisms of a
      whole bunch of other children of the couple, and then a note of their
      marriage in the Lutheran church on 18 July 1752, nearly 2 weeks before
      the Catholic ceremony. I know it's the same couple because everything
      matches, her father's name etc.

      The Petrusska line is the major line I'm doing in this case, the
      Burghardt (as it's listed in Lutheran records) line seems to be the
      Lutheran one at all years (many references to other siblings and her
      parents), Petrusska seems to be the one which is sometimes Catholic
      sometimes Lutheran.

      So.... the Lutheran marriage came first, I guess I use that date and
      note the Catholic one in the notes? And some of the kids have different
      baptism dates for both churches too.....

      Anyone have this where a couple had events in -both- churches? How did
      you handle recording it?

      Thanks,
      Maura

      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
      Maura Petzolt mpetzolt2@...
      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
      SHAMROCK ROOTS homepage

      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
    • Frank R. Plichta
      Message 2 of 2 , May 30 7:10 AM
        Maura,

        I was married twice to the same woman on the same day but perhaps the reason
        is slightly different. We chose to do both on the same day but that wasn't
        required. We could have just as well performed each ceremony on different
        days or weeks. My wife and I were married in Germany in 1967. We were both
        Americans serving in the US Military and wanted a church wedding at the
        military chapel, however under German law, we also needed to be married
        before a German civil judge. The German government did not recognize the
        church wedding. Even German couples needed to be married before the civil
        judge, which was the government recognized wedding and a church wedding the
        same day or days latter was more for family and church reasons.

        The time period of 1752 I think would have had other reasons. If someone
        was Catholic and was not married in the church, then their wedding would not
        be recognized by the church. Perhaps since the couple was a mixed marriage
        they married in both churches to hedge their bets and satisfy both families.

        Frank R. Plichta
        "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"
        "Ja hl'adanie na celom svete za PLICHTA."
        "Das die Welt fuer PLICHTA suchen."
        "Je cherche le monde pour la famille PLICHTA."
        "Buscando el mundo por los PLICHTA."
        "Quaerere summa reum familia PLICHTA."
        I would appreciate receiving ANY information, about ANY Plichta, from ANY
        place, at ANY time in history.