About spam and unsubbing

  • mpetzolt2@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2002
      I have removed the person who recently sent the offensive spam posts --
      as I do whenever I can catch a spammer. Unfortunately, spammers now
      realize they have to sub to lists on certain servers like yahoogroups
      and rootsweb in order to send spam, so it's just a fact of life on the
      internet. No matter what block you have on your system, sometimes they
      just get through. Just delete them and don't give them the satisfaction
      of responding to them. Most of the time they just want to verify your
      address is "hot" and then you get -more- spam (which is also why you
      should -never- respond to those "click here if you don't want us to
      send anything to you again" deals).

      and one which frustrates me personally because the directions on how to
      do this are out there, and yet people seem to think sending a message to
      the list is going to do something. In the Welcome Message you get when
      you join this list, as well as on the yahoogroups site for the list, it
      clearly states how to unsubscribe. I am in the process of moving our
      lists homepage, and it's not quite ready yet, but the list page is up at
      http://community.webtv.net/slovakroots/slovakrootslist .

      If you need to or want to unsubscribe, please do that yourself by using
      one of the above methods.

      As listowner, I have not been very active on this list for the past
      year, due to personal illness. However, I am trying to get back into
      things now, and I'll keep a more careful eye on things, but still, as a
      computer user, it is the responsibility of each listmember to follow
      directions and take care of as much as they can themselves.

      I think this is a great list for researchers... but we all have to do
      our part and work together.
      Soon I will be asking for your input on our new website.

      Thanks,
      Maura

      Maura Petzolt mpetzolt2@...
      SHAMROCK ROOTS homepage