Surname identification help needed

  • mavrik375
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2002
      I need help identifying a Slovakian surname. This surname appears on
      a baptism certificate (in cursive in Hungarian) of my great
      grandfather. The baptism certificate is for Andrej Juhas (changed to
      Yuhas in America) and is dated as 11/1/1860. His parents were noted
      as Andrej Juhas and Maria Cisjovska (?). Location is Radoma
      (Giraltovce - in Slovakian).

      The surname I'm trying to pinpoint correctly is Cisjovska. On the
      certificate, the name appears to be spelled as Cisjovska. However,
      the 3rd letter appears to be written over. What appears to be an "s"
      also could appear to be a "k" for Cikjovska or a small capital "a"
      for Ciajovska. Also, above the first letter, "C", there is a
      small "v", which appears to be for some kind of emphasis. What does
      this mean? This surname is identified on the certificate as Roman
      Catholic. I have searched all over for this surname (Cisjovska) on
      various genealogy sites online and other possible spellings, and I
      have not found one, not even once. So, I am stumped. I would be
      grateful for anyone that could give me a jumpstart here. Thanks!

      Mavrik
    • John M.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2002
        At 04:26 PM 5/1/02 +0000, you wrote:
        >I need help identifying a Slovakian surname. This surname appears on
        >a baptism certificate (in cursive in Hungarian) of my great
        >grandfather. The baptism certificate is for Andrej Juhas (changed to
        >Yuhas in America) and is dated as 11/1/1860. His parents were noted
        >as Andrej Juhas and Maria Cisjovska (?). Location is Radoma
        >(Giraltovce - in Slovakian).

        I found an Irena C^ikovská in the online SK phone directory. She is in
        Bratislava. There are many C^ik and C^ikova in the directory. The "ovska"
        sounds like a Polish or Russian feminine surname ending to me. I believe
        in Slovak it would be C^ikova if her husbands surname was C^ik. The
        diacritic mark above the "C^" means it is pronounced as "Ch". I also found
        a C^ikovsky. The feminine form might be C^ikovska.

        Can you post a scan of the name in the S-R file section so that we might
        get a better idea of what it looks like?

        John

        >The surname I'm trying to pinpoint correctly is Cisjovska. On the
        >certificate, the name appears to be spelled as Cisjovska. However,
        >the 3rd letter appears to be written over. What appears to be an "s"
        >also could appear to be a "k" for Cikjovska or a small capital "a"
        >for Ciajovska. Also, above the first letter, "C", there is a
        >small "v", which appears to be for some kind of emphasis. What does
        >this mean? This surname is identified on the certificate as Roman
        >Catholic. I have searched all over for this surname (Cisjovska) on
        >various genealogy sites online and other possible spellings, and I
        >have not found one, not even once. So, I am stumped. I would be
        >grateful for anyone that could give me a jumpstart here. Thanks!
        >
        >Mavrik

      • frankly1us
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2002
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "mavrik375" <mavrik375@a...> wrote:
          > I need help identifying a Slovakian surname. This surname appears on
          > a baptism certificate (in cursive in Hungarian) of my great
          > grandfather. The baptism certificate is for Andrej Juhas (changed to
          > Yuhas in America) and is dated as 11/1/1860. His parents were noted
          > as Andrej Juhas and Maria Cisjovska (?). Location is Radoma
          > (Giraltovce - in Slovakian).
          >
          > The surname I'm trying to pinpoint correctly is Cisjovska. On the
          > certificate, the name appears to be spelled as Cisjovska. However,
          > the 3rd letter appears to be written over. What appears to be an "s"
          > also could appear to be a "k" for Cikjovska or a small capital "a"
          > for Ciajovska. Also, above the first letter, "C", there is a
          > small "v", which appears to be for some kind of emphasis. What does
          > this mean? This surname is identified on the certificate as Roman
          > Catholic. I have searched all over for this surname (Cisjovska) on
          > various genealogy sites online and other possible spellings, and I
          > have not found one, not even once. So, I am stumped. I would be
          > grateful for anyone that could give me a jumpstart here. Thanks!
          >
          > Mavrik

          Certain archaic letter combinations occurred in Hungarian family
          names.

          archaic combinations modern
          (2 letters )
          ch, ts cs
          cz c

          In Hungarian, letter cs is pron. ch and letter c is pron. ts.
          In Slovak, letter c^ (diacritic) is pron. ch and letter c is pron. ts.

          cs = c^
          In Hungarian and most Slavic languages the letter j is pron. y.
          There is also a Slovak diacritic letter s^ pron. sh.

          As a rule of Slovak grammar, female surnames end in -á, -ská, or -ová.
          The feminine form of the surnames is considered merely a separate form
          of same surname, not a distinct surname in itself.

          So, for family name you need to look for Csijov or C^ijov or some variant s=
          pelling ?

          v---------------diacritic letter
          Frank Kurcina
        • mavrik375
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2002
            Thank you all for responding. You gave me some ideas of surname
            variations to follow, plus a better understanding of Slovakian &
            Hungarian ways of spelling and pronouncing names. So, basically the
            name most likely appears to be C^ikjovska on the certificate. So, it
            appears the name I'm looking for would be C^ikov, Chikov or Csikov or
            similar variations. Thank you again.

            Mavrik