Re: [S-R] Nizpal, Galicia, Austria/Poland

  • JJ Izzo,III
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25, 2002
      Hi
      Can anyone tell me the origin of the surname "Loput". This was grandmothers last name. I believe it is a Czech surname or Slovak surname, but I have not been able to validate this. My mother insists that my grandma was Czech. My sister seems to recall that she had seen my grandmother's birth certificate at some point at that it indicated that she was born in the Austrian-Hungarian empire?
      If anyone has any information, please respond back. I am very interested in knowing more about my grandmother's roots.
      John

      John Lach <jlartist@...> wrote:
      For the sirname Lach;
      I am looking for information on the City of Nizol which I am told could be "Morzywo/Matwolla" but I have no way of knowing if this is true.

      Also on a Wola, Weika, Ausstria/Poland location

      I have received other information that confuses me even more:
      For the sirname "Madej";
      Walnowia in old Wojewo~Dtzwo Bydgoszez, in South Poland and yet another in
      Wotowtna= Petofitanya, Hungary
      A parish Church in the Village of "Gowaqcqo~w

      Since I do not understand or read any language except english I am at a total loss, can you help?

    • John M.
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27, 2002
        At 10:26 PM 4/25/02 -0700, you wrote:

        >Hi
        >Can anyone tell me the origin of the surname "Loput". This was
        >grandmothers last name. I believe it is a Czech surname or Slovak surname,
        >but I have not been able to validate this. My mother insists that my
        >grandma was Czech.

        Have you tried?
        http://members.tripod.com/~zlimpkk/Genealogy/czechsurnames.html

        > My sister seems to recall that she had seen my grandmother's birth
        > certificate at some point at that it indicated that she was born in the
        > Austrian-Hungarian empire?

        The Ellis Island database shows 6 Loput immigrants. It looked as if 3 were
        from Hungary and 3 from Russia. I believe all were from the same town
        Sucha Potoh or perhaps the Hungarian spelling, Szuhapatak. Those shown as
        Russian were I believe Ruthenian or Rusyn. Some are shown as
        Czechoslovak-Russian others as Ruthenian. In my estimation, they were from
        Upper Hungary which became part of Czechoslovakia when it was formed after
        WWI. The Ruthenian-Rusyns were from the eastern part of Slovakia. Some of
        the Ruthenian-Rusyn areas became part of Ukraine at a later date.

        I was unable to locate Sucha Potoh or Szuhapatak but it should be in
        Eastern Slovakia or Western Ukraine. After looking at the manifests, three
        listed a sister in Stavne, Uzhorod county which would place that in Western
        Ukraine near the Slovak border I believe.

        John
      • frankly1us
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 28, 2002
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "JJ Izzo,III" <izzoj3@y...> wrote:

          > Hi
          > Can anyone tell me the origin of the surname "Loput". This was
          grandmothers last name. I believe it is a Czech surname or Slovak
          surname, but I have not been able to validate this. My mother insists
          that my grandma was Czech. My sister seems to recall that she had
          seen my grandmother's birth certificate at some point at that it
          indicated that she was born in the Austrian-Hungarian empire?
          > If anyone has any information, please respond back. I am very
          interested in knowing more about my grandmother's roots.
          > John

          As John M had indicated Stavne was located in western Ukraine.

          In Magyar patak = stream/brook
          In Slovak potok = stream/brook
          Szuhapatak (H) Suchapotok (Sk) Suchyj (Ru) was formerly located in
          Ung megye and is now located just SSE of Stavne in the Ukraine.