Re: [S-R] Re: Is Shellard an Hungarian Surname?

  • John M.
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 19 2:22 PM
      At 10:20 AM 4/19/02 -0700, you wrote:
      >I need to correct the date of birth for my
      >grandmother...It is 1886 and the only thing I know is
      >that she was born in Hungary. This is according to
      >her application for a social security card. Her
      >husband's name was Theodore "Shellard"? and he was
      >supposed to have been the chief architect for the city
      >of Budapest.

      If indeed you are certain that your ancestors are from Budapest, you might
      do better on a Hungarian Genealogy list. S-R is primarily oriented toward
      Upper Hungary which eventually became a part of Slovakia. Did your
      grandparents speak Hungarian? Although an attempt was made, beginning
      about the mid 19th century, to Magyarize the Rusyns and Slovaks, it was not
      too successful with the majority of the population. Most retained their
      own language even though Hungarian was taught in school and used for
      official purposes.

      John