Re: [S-R] Is Shellard an Hungarian Surname?

  • John M.
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 17 7:20 PM
      At 11:11 PM 4/17/02 +0000, you wrote:
      >Hello, my maiden name was Shellard. My father and grandmother
      >immigrated from Hungary between 1915 - 1925. I'm having a hard time
      >finding Shellard as a Hungarian surname. I'm wondering if my
      >grandmother changed the name when entering the U.S.? They are both
      >deceased and I don't know where to go to find out. But this is what I
      >do know:
      >
      >Grandmother: Ethel Louise Vasvary Shellard - Born 1868 Hungary

      There are 27 Shellard listed in the Ellis Island Database but none are
      Hungarian.

      There are 11 Czellar listed and all are from Hungary but none from
      Budapest. Unless you know for a fact that he was from Budapest, keep your
      mind open to alternatives. I've heard many people claim their ancestors
      were from Budapest just because it was such a well known city and they were
      told their ancestors were from Hungary.

      At what age did he immigrate? There are 11 Vasvary listed in the EIDB most
      from Hungary and a couple from Czechoslovakia. Much of what is now
      Slovakia was known as Upper Hungary until 1918 when they formed Czechoslovakia.

      >Father: William John Shellard - Born 1909, Budapest, Hungary
      >
      >When they came to the U.S. they made their home in the New York City
      >area.
      >
      >Does anyone know where I would look to find any information on them?
      >I would appreciate any help!

      You might try death certificates, US church records, citizenship records,
      1920 and 1930 census records, etc. I'm sure others could tell you more
      about the availability of records for the New York City area.

      John
    • frankly1us
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 19 5:33 AM
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "dlsjenkins" <dlsjenkins@y...> wrote:
        > Hello, my maiden name was Shellard. My father and grandmother
        > immigrated from Hungary between 1915 - 1925. I'm having a hard
        time
        > finding Shellard as a Hungarian surname. I'm wondering if my
        > grandmother changed the name when entering the U.S.? They are both
        > deceased and I don't know where to go to find out. But this is
        what I
        > do know:
        >
        > Grandmother: Ethel Louise Vasvary Shellard - Born 1868 Hungary
        >
        > Father: William John Shellard - Born 1909, Budapest, Hungary
        >
        > When they came to the U.S. they made their home in the New York
        City
        > area.
        >
        > Does anyone know where I would look to find any information on
        them?
        > I would appreciate any help!
        >
        > Thanks!

        Shellard is not a Hungarian surname spelling.
        As a minimum the letter S is pron. Sh in Hungarian.
        And the letter Sz is pron. S.

        And Sellard appears to be a surname from America.
        Some surname Sellard bearers had American Indian ancestors.

        Shellard, as a surname appears in 1683,1757 in England.
        This surname also emigrated to Australia.

        Many emigrants changed names after arrival in the U.S.

        Where was your GM born in Hungary in 1868 ?

        Vasváry is definitely a Hungarian surname.

        http://www.sk-szeged.hu/english/vasvary.html
      • Deanna Jenkins
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 19 10:20 AM
          I need to correct the date of birth for my
          grandmother...It is 1886 and the only thing I know is
          that she was born in Hungary. This is according to
          her application for a social security card. Her
          husband's name was Theodore "Shellard"? and he was
          supposed to have been the chief architect for the city
          of Budapest. She divorced him and immigrated to the
          U.S. with her son (my father) coming 1 year later.
          Ethel's father's name was Stephen Vasvary and her
          mother's name was Susan Szabo. I'm still trying to
          find out if she became "naturalized" or not. I
          appreciate any help!

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
        • John M.
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 19 2:22 PM
            At 10:20 AM 4/19/02 -0700, you wrote:
            >I need to correct the date of birth for my
            >grandmother...It is 1886 and the only thing I know is
            >that she was born in Hungary. This is according to
            >her application for a social security card. Her
            >husband's name was Theodore "Shellard"? and he was
            >supposed to have been the chief architect for the city
            >of Budapest.

            If indeed you are certain that your ancestors are from Budapest, you might
            do better on a Hungarian Genealogy list. S-R is primarily oriented toward
            Upper Hungary which eventually became a part of Slovakia. Did your
            grandparents speak Hungarian? Although an attempt was made, beginning
            about the mid 19th century, to Magyarize the Rusyns and Slovaks, it was not
            too successful with the majority of the population. Most retained their
            own language even though Hungarian was taught in school and used for
            official purposes.

            John