Re: [S-R] Is Shellard an Hungarian Surname?

  • Doris Weigner
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 17, 2002
      Have you tried the Ellis Island website? www.ellisislandrecords.org
    • John M.
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 17, 2002
        At 11:11 PM 4/17/02 +0000, you wrote:

        >There are 11 Czellar listed and all are from Hungary but none from
        Budapest. Unless you know for a fact that he was from Budapest, keep your
        mind open to alternatives. I've heard many people claim their ancestors
        were from Budapest just because it was such a well known city and they were
        told their ancestors were from Hungary. <

        I forgot to mention that I believe there was no immigration from Austria
        Hungary after WWI started in 1914 and until after the WWI ended in November
        of 1918. I also found 20 Csellar in the EIDB from Hungary and a couple of
        Szellar from Hungary and several Szaller.

        John
      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 17, 2002
          If you do a search on the Ellis Island site (the Steven Morse one is much
          better) do remember that the Sh sound is written with a plain S in
          Hungarian. The original name might have been spelled more like Sellard. If
          you can't find the Morse site via a search engine, post me privately.