Re: [S-R] FIRST ROUND For Village/town/city information in Slovakia **FREE O...

  • Fred Corbett
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 10, 2002
      Hello Do you know if the village of Malacky has been filmed and is
      available at the FHL

      Thank You

      fred Corbett

      "John M." wrote:

      > At 10:13 PM 4/10/02 -0400, you wrote:
      > >hi
      > >i am interested in the village of BENEDIKO. my grandpa was born there.
      > >thanks
      > >steve
      >
      > The village of Benadovo was known as Benediko from 1863 to 1913. It is
      > located in Western Slovakia not too far from the Polish border. What was
      > your grandfather's surname?
      >
      > The Roman Catholic church records for Benadovo have been microfilmed by the
      > LDS and can be ordered through your local LDS Family History Library.
      >
      > Topic Hungary, Árva, Benediko - Church records
      >
      > Titles Cirkevná matrika, 1764-1897 Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úrad
      > Oravské Veselé (Námestovo)
      >
      > VAULT INTL Film [ 2004588 Items 5-6 ]
      > FHL INTL Film [ 2004589 Items 1-7 ]
      >
      > John

    • John M.
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 10, 2002
        At 09:11 PM 4/10/02 -0700, you wrote:
        >Hello Do you know if the village of Malacky has been filmed and is
        >available at the FHL

        I couldn't find any evidence that it has been microfilmed yet. If you go to:

        and do a place search on Malacky you will get information on a book:

        "History of the parish of Malacky, Slovak Republic; formerly Malaczka,
        Pozsony, Hungary.

        Subjects
        Hungary, Pozsony, Malaczka - Church history
        Slovakia, Malacky - Church directories

        Call Number - Location
        943.73/M1 K2h - FHL INTL Book

        I believe the microfilming in this area may be nearing completion but have
        no idea when they'll be available. Maybe Frank K. has a better handle on this.

        John
      • frankly1us
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 11, 2002
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Fred Corbett <fhcorbett@e...> wrote:
          > Hello Do you know if the village of Malacky has been filmed and is
          > available at the FHL
          >
          > Thank You
          >
          > fred Corbett

          Malacky (Sk) Malaczka (H) is located 20 miles NNW of Bratislava.

          The LDS-Mormons have filmed all the parish church records at six
          of the seven Slovak State Archives in Slovakia.

          They haven't filmed the Bratislava Archives as yet !

          R.C. parish church do exist for Malacky (1696-1895), but not through
          the LDS-Mormons.

          This is what the LDS does after filming the parish church records.
          The films are first sent for quality control checking in Germany and
          only then are returned to the U.S.
          It may be several years (or longer) after the actual filming that microfilm=
          are back and are copied at SLC FHL and then are available for distribution =
          the various local LDS FHCs when requested by researchers.

          As to catalog, am informed there are also three different sets of film
          catalogs besides the online catalog dated August 2001.
          Two are on Family History Library CD-ROMS available for purchase ?
          Each local LDS FHC also had its own set of catalog CD-ROMS.
          Confusing ?

          You have two choices.

          1) Contact the Bratislava Archives to research your surnames.

          You can write the Main Archives (Archív hlavného mesta Bratislavy)
          to research your surname records.
          Their narrative research report will be written in Slovak, not English.
          If you don't know Slovak you would need to get their research report
          translated.

          There are three different rates.
          Clerical, the cheapest, the basic research, and the most difficult, the
          more expensive.
          They will do research you request then send you a bill which you must
          pay before they send the information.

          http://www.netway.at/ihff/c.htm

          2) Contact the Embassy of the Slovak Republic for genealogical research.

          http://www.iarelative.com/embassy.htm

          > "John M." wrote:
          >
          > > At 10:13 PM 4/10/02 -0400, you wrote:
          > > >hi
          > > >i am interested in the village of BENEDIKO. my grandpa was born there.=

          > > >thanks
          > > >steve
          > >
          > > The village of Benadovo was known as Benediko from 1863 to 1913. It is=

          > > located in Western Slovakia not too far from the Polish border. What w=
          as
          > > your grandfather's surname?
          > >
          > > The Roman Catholic church records for Benadovo have been microfilmed by=
          the
          > > LDS and can be ordered through your local LDS Family History Library.
          > >
          > > Topic Hungary, Árva, Benediko - Church records
          > >
          > > Titles Cirkevná matrika, 1764-1897 Cirkev rímsko-katolícka. Farský úr=
          ad
          > > Oravské Veselé (Námestovo)
          > >
          > > VAULT INTL Film [ 2004588 Items 5-6 ]
          > > FHL INTL Film [ 2004589 Items 1-7 ]
          > >
          > > John

          s/
        • Fred Corbett
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 11, 2002
            Thank you Sylvia. I am reasonabley up to date in Malacky. I wanted to be
            able have a greater detailed view of Malacky. I have visited there with my
            wife Terry, three time in the past eight years and we are current with the
            published data. I want to be able to review some of the information for the
            late 1600's if and when it becomes available. Terry's mother and father were
            born there and we trace them and their parents back to the early 1700's. All
            of here identified ancestors are from Malacky or the adjacent area.

            Fred

            sali777@... wrote:

            > >Fred Corbet wrote:
            >
            > >Hello Do you know if the village of Malacky has been filmed and is
            > >available at the FHL
            >
            > >Thank You
            >
            > >fred Corbett
            >
            > Dear Fred
            >
            > I come from Malacky and I will be going there in July. I will be
            > pleased to help with any enquiries if I can.
            >
            > Regards
            >

            > Sylvia

          • Fred Corbett
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 11, 2002
              Thank you for the information. I was hoping that the parish register files were
              available in order to push the envelope a bit further back. I have used the
              Bratislava archives to help establish a baseline familysummary report. They
              have given me a report that goes back to the early 1700's. I was hoping to find
              other ancestors from the region. All of Terry's ancestors that we have found
              have all been born and were married within a ten maike radius of Malacky.

              Fred

            • John M.
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 11, 2002
                At 09:33 AM 4/11/02 -0700, you wrote:
                >Thank you for the information. I was hoping that the parish register
                >files were
                >available in order to push the envelope a bit further back. I have used the
                >Bratislava archives to help establish a baseline familysummary report. They
                >have given me a report that goes back to the early 1700's. I was hoping
                >to find
                >other ancestors from the region. All of Terry's ancestors that we have found
                >have all been born and were married within a ten maike radius of Malacky.
                >
                >Fred

                It believe the records are at the parish office in Malacky. They
                list matriky for:

                births - 1672-1693, 1696-1895
                marriages - 1693-1895
                deaths - 1672-1674, 1693-1895

                I'm not certain about how you would obtain access to them. The address and
                phone number is:

                RÍMSKOKATOLÍCKY FARSKÝ ÚRAD
                Malacky, 901 01
                Slovak Republik