Re: Vysne Repase or Nizne Repase RE: [S-R] Repaca (spelling??)

  • frankly1us
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8, 2002
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Dolores garvis" <garvisd@s...> wrote:
      > Thank you.
      > Those two villages are listed on the map I have. Good to know the
      population. The spelling of Repaca I got was from a document
      completed in 1956. But who knows, he may have just tried to spell it
      from memory or as it sounded to him.
      > I'm not familiar with the name Plichta. But should I come across
      any information I'll let you know.
      > DMG

      Frank R. Plichta made subscribers a very generous offer.

      Inexpensive used copies of Vlastivedny' Slovník Obcí na
      Slovensku may be found in Bratislava if you can travel
      to Slovakia.

      However, one researcher on the WWW sells the (new) 3 volumes
      for five hundred and seventy-five dollars (US$ 575.00)

      D'akujem Vám vel'mi pekne

      Interesting region near Spis^ská Nová Ves.
      Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
      Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
      centuries.

      Early in the 15th c the 16 towns in northern S^pis^ region (including
      Stará L'ubovn^a (S) O'lubló (H) and Vel'ké Sulín - were
      mortgaged to Poland, under whose rule they remained 1412-1772.

      Polish uses the letter W pron. V.
      In Slovak the letter V is pron. V.

      Hungarian English Slovak grammatical form
      kis little malá/malé/maly'
      nagy large vel'ká/vel'ké/vel'ky'
      felso" upper horná/horné/horny'
      alsó lower dolná/dolné/dolny'
      felso" upper vys^ná/vys^né/vys^ny'
      alsó lower niz^ná/niz^né/niz^ny'

      Hungarian English Polish grammatical form
      kis little mal~a/mal~e/mal~y
      nagy large wielka/wielke/wielki
      felso" upper górna/górne/górny
      alsó lower dolna/dolne/dolny

      The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. parish church records
      (1760-1896) for Vy^sné Repas^e, Slovakia, formerly known as
      Felso"-Répás, Szepes megye (county), Hungary.
      Includes Niz^né Repas^e.
      Text in Latin and Hungarian.

      film #
      1791923
      1791924

      Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

      LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

      (Only the film headers are in Slovak)
      In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
      Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
      Sobás^ení = Marriages
      Zomrelí = Deaths

      In Hungarian the matriky are titled anyakönyvek.

      Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

      In Latin the matriky are titled matricula.
      Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
      Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records
      Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records

      Frank Kurcina

      Slovensku
      > "Country Dictionary Now and Then on Slovakia", Prepared by:
      Encyclopedic
      > Institute of the Slovak Academy of Science, 1977, Bratislava, I can
      tell you
      > the following about Vysne Repase.
      >
      > There have been several name changes to the village over the years.
      > Following is a list of the names used and the year in which each
      was first
      > used:
      > 1323 Keeth Repas
      > 1342 Kysrepach
      > 1343 Wyrepach
      > 1344 Wyaudas
      > 1400 Wywagas al. n. Repas
      > 1773 Wisne Repasse
      > 1786 Welke Repasse
      > 1920 Vysne Repase, Hungarian name was Felsorepas
      >
      > The village is located in county or Zupa Spisska; okres Levoca,
      kraj Kosice
      > until 1960, then okres Spisska Nova Ves, kraj Vychodoslovensky.
      >
      > Various census report the following populations in the years shown:
      > 1869 596
      > 1880 591
      > 1890 470
      > 1900 433
      > 1910 396
      > 1921 363
      > 1930 393
      > 1940 414
      > 1948 381
      > 1961 413
      > 1970 391
      >
      > The village is 948 hectares in size
      >
      > Just 3KM up the road to the North East is the town of Nizne Repase
      >
      > Again the name has changed over time with the following names first
      used in
      > the years shown:
      > 1270 Repach
      > 1311 Repas
      > 1323 Keeth Repas
      > 1342 Nagrepach
      > 1399 Repach Inferior
      > 1417 Alsorepas
      > 1773 Nizne Repasse
      > 1786 Male Repasse
      > 1920 Nizne Repase
      >
      > The county information is the same as above.
      >
      > The population changes were as follows:
      > 1869 684
      > 1880 702
      > 1890 660
      > 1900 559
      > 1910 553
      > 1921 550
      > 1930 584
      > 1940 626
      > 1948 564
      > 1961 544
      > 1970 436
      >
      > The village area is 855 hectares.
      >
      > If you would like additional information about the two villages see
      my other
      > message about Village/town/city information in Slovakia ** FREE
      Offer **
      > Which I will rebroadcast immediately following this message.
      >

      > Frank R. Plichta
      > "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

      Catholic
      > Church and nearest source of archives? As you might guess, My
      grandfather,
      > Thomas Slebodnik was born there and I'm working on the Slebodnik
      genealogy.
      > Dolores

      Slovak
      > Republic?