Re: [S-R] Repaca

  • Dolores garvis
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2002
      Thank you for the information on Repaca. Where could I get additional information about the village, like population, name of nearest Catholic Church and nearest source of archives? As you might guess, My grandfather, Thomas Slebodnik was born there and I'm working on the Slebodnik genealogy.
      Dolores
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2002
        Dolores Garvis

        I had some trouble with your request for information about Repaca until I
        say the message from Larry Foy who mentioned where it was located.

        What I found there is really Vysne Repase

        According to the 3 volume set of books Vlastivedny Slovnik Obci na Slovensku
        "Country Dictionary Now and Then on Slovakia", Prepared by: Encyclopedic
        Institute of the Slovak Academy of Science, 1977, Bratislava, I can tell you
        the following about Vysne Repase.

        There have been several name changes to the village over the years.
        Following is a list of the names used and the year in which each was first
        used:
        1323 Keeth Repas
        1342 Kysrepach
        1343 Wyrepach
        1344 Wyaudas
        1400 Wywagas al. n. Repas
        1773 Wisne Repasse
        1786 Welke Repasse
        1920 Vysne Repase, Hungarian name was Felsorepas

        The village is located in county or Zupa Spisska; okres Levoca, kraj Kosice
        until 1960, then okres Spisska Nova Ves, kraj Vychodoslovensky.

        Various census report the following populations in the years shown:
        1869 596
        1880 591
        1890 470
        1900 433
        1910 396
        1921 363
        1930 393
        1940 414
        1948 381
        1961 413
        1970 391

        The village is 948 hectares in size

        Just 3KM up the road to the North East is the town of Nizne Repase

        Again the name has changed over time with the following names first used in
        the years shown:
        1270 Repach
        1311 Repas
        1323 Keeth Repas
        1342 Nagrepach
        1399 Repach Inferior
        1417 Alsorepas
        1773 Nizne Repasse
        1786 Male Repasse
        1920 Nizne Repase

        The county information is the same as above.

        The population changes were as follows:
        1869 684
        1880 702
        1890 660
        1900 559
        1910 553
        1921 550
        1930 584
        1940 626
        1948 564
        1961 544
        1970 436

        The village area is 855 hectares.

        If you would like additional information about the two villages see my other
        message about Village/town/city information in Slovakia ** FREE Offer **
        Which I will rebroadcast immediately following this message.

        Frank R. Plichta
        "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"