Re: [S-R] Repaca

  • Larry Foy
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2002
      just north of Levoca west of kesmark
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: garvisd33950
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2002 4:33 PM
      Subject: [S-R] Repaca

      Anyone ever heard of Repaca or know where it is located in the Slovak
      Republic?
      DMG

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • Dolores garvis
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2002
        Thank you for the information on Repaca. Where could I get additional information about the village, like population, name of nearest Catholic Church and nearest source of archives? As you might guess, My grandfather, Thomas Slebodnik was born there and I'm working on the Slebodnik genealogy.
        Dolores

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 7, 2002
          Dolores Garvis

          I had some trouble with your request for information about Repaca until I
          say the message from Larry Foy who mentioned where it was located.

          What I found there is really Vysne Repase

          According to the 3 volume set of books Vlastivedny Slovnik Obci na Slovensku
          "Country Dictionary Now and Then on Slovakia", Prepared by: Encyclopedic
          Institute of the Slovak Academy of Science, 1977, Bratislava, I can tell you
          the following about Vysne Repase.

          There have been several name changes to the village over the years.
          Following is a list of the names used and the year in which each was first
          used:
          1323 Keeth Repas
          1342 Kysrepach
          1343 Wyrepach
          1344 Wyaudas
          1400 Wywagas al. n. Repas
          1773 Wisne Repasse
          1786 Welke Repasse
          1920 Vysne Repase, Hungarian name was Felsorepas

          The village is located in county or Zupa Spisska; okres Levoca, kraj Kosice
          until 1960, then okres Spisska Nova Ves, kraj Vychodoslovensky.

          Various census report the following populations in the years shown:
          1869 596
          1880 591
          1890 470
          1900 433
          1910 396
          1921 363
          1930 393
          1940 414
          1948 381
          1961 413
          1970 391

          The village is 948 hectares in size

          Just 3KM up the road to the North East is the town of Nizne Repase

          Again the name has changed over time with the following names first used in
          the years shown:
          1270 Repach
          1311 Repas
          1323 Keeth Repas
          1342 Nagrepach
          1399 Repach Inferior
          1417 Alsorepas
          1773 Nizne Repasse
          1786 Male Repasse
          1920 Nizne Repase

          The county information is the same as above.

          The population changes were as follows:
          1869 684
          1880 702
          1890 660
          1900 559
          1910 553
          1921 550
          1930 584
          1940 626
          1948 564
          1961 544
          1970 436

          The village area is 855 hectares.

          If you would like additional information about the two villages see my other
          message about Village/town/city information in Slovakia ** FREE Offer **
          Which I will rebroadcast immediately following this message.

          Frank R. Plichta
          "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"