Re: [S-R] Andras to Andor

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2002
      Again, I suggest you try Andy and/or Andrew -- use a wildcard -- you know, An** or An**** -- you should find more hits that way -- also more digging, but I think I'm right on this.
      Caye

      Andrea Vangor <drav@...> wrote: Andras is already a Hungarian name. Slovaks had to use Hungarian versions
      in official documents. The Slovak name is Ondrej or Andrej. Which does not
      answer your question, I am afraid.

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2002
        hi
        i don't think it would make sense, because andras is hungarian and moving to
        denbrecen why would u take a foreign name?

      • frankly1us
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7, 2002
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., mazorn78@c... wrote:
          > hi
          > i don't think it would make sense, because andras is hungarian and moving=
          > denbrecen why would u take a foreign name?

          Andor or Andi is not a foreign first name.

          It is just a diminutive (i.e., shortened form or nickname) for
          the Magyar name András (Andrew)

          If you bore the name Andrew (E) you might be called Andy, or
          if your given name was William you might be also called Bill
          or Billy.
          Something.

          András (dim. Andor, Andris, Ando, Bandi, Ancsi, Endre, Endi, Endre)