Re: [S-R] Re: Andras to Andor

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2002
      I suspect a type-o -- more likely Andy or Andrew -- my ancestor was an Andras and he was always called either Andrew or Andy.

      Caye

      frankly1us <frankur@...> wrote: --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Adrienne Sowards" <asowards@d...> wrote:
      > Would it make sense for a man born with the first name "Andras" in (what is now) Bardejov, Slovakia (formerly Bardfelt or Bartfa) in 1873 to change the spelling to "Andor" when he moved to Debrecen, Hungary, in the early part of the 1900's?
      >
      > I'm working with another individual, trying to determine if her great-grandfather is the same person as one of my great-uncles.

      Yes.
      Diminutives are forms of given names; i.e. familiarly known,
      nicknames,etc.
      Example, Andrew (E) Andy
      For Andras (H) Dim. Andi, Andor, Andris, Bandi, Ando, Ancsi.

      Frank
      Frantis^ek (Sk)
      Ferenc (H)

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT