Re: [S-R] Andras to Andor

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3 12:28 PM
      Andras is already a Hungarian name. Slovaks had to use Hungarian versions
      in official documents. The Slovak name is Ondrej or Andrej. Which does not
      answer your question, I am afraid.

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4 9:30 AM
        Again, I suggest you try Andy and/or Andrew -- use a wildcard -- you know, An** or An**** -- you should find more hits that way -- also more digging, but I think I'm right on this.
        Caye

        Andrea Vangor <drav@...> wrote: Andras is already a Hungarian name. Slovaks had to use Hungarian versions
        in official documents. The Slovak name is Ondrej or Andrej. Which does not
        answer your question, I am afraid.

        > Would it make sense for a man born with the first name "Andras" in (what
        is now) Bardejov, Slovakia (formerly Bardfelt or Bartfa) in 1873 to change
        the spelling to "Andor" when he moved to Debrecen, Hungary, in the early
        part of the 1900's?

        > I'm working with another individual, trying to determine if her
        great-grandfather is the same person as one of my great-uncles.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6 9:28 PM
          hi
          i don't think it would make sense, because andras is hungarian and moving to
          denbrecen why would u take a foreign name?

        • frankly1us
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 7 6:03 AM
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., mazorn78@c... wrote:
            > hi
            > i don't think it would make sense, because andras is hungarian and moving=
            > denbrecen why would u take a foreign name?

            Andor or Andi is not a foreign first name.

            It is just a diminutive (i.e., shortened form or nickname) for
            the Magyar name András (Andrew)

            If you bore the name Andrew (E) you might be called Andy, or
            if your given name was William you might be also called Bill
            or Billy.
            Something.

            András (dim. Andor, Andris, Ando, Bandi, Ancsi, Endre, Endi, Endre)