RE: [S-R] Re: CVENGROS, GELATKA

  • Brenda Detrio
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2002
      I am not sure of spelling of surnames but could be Gelaka; naturalized in state of WV.
      Thanks for the reply,
      BrendaD

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2002
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Brenda Detrio <bdetrio@w...> wrote:
        > I am not sure of spelling of surnames but could be Gelaka; naturalized in=
        state of WV.
        > Thanks for the reply,
        > BrendaD

        The Slovakia telephone directory lists the surname Cvengros^
        (spelled with Slovak diacritic letter s^ = sh)

        Surnames listed :
        under Martin
        4
        under Markus^ovce
        5
        under Spis^ská Nová Ves
        14
        under Bratislava
        8
        under Kos^ice
        2
        under Rudn^any
        7
        may be others as well

        Naturalization papers came in three flavors :

        1.Declaration of intention
        (name, age, occupation, personal description, date and place
        of birth, wife's name and her place of birth, present and last
        foreign address, vessel or ship sailed on and from what port of
        embarkation, port of arrival and date, signature)

        2.Petition for naturalization
        (data listed in 1. above plus marital status, children's name, and
        names of two witnesses)

        3.Record Certificate of Naturalization
        (this was the document which granted citizenship. Contains some
        items but not the details above). It was meant to be a sort of
        souvenir of the official proceedings.

        Any woman, between 1855-1922, automatically became a citizen when
        her husband was naturalized. Children under age of 16 as well.
        if between age 16-21 when immigrated to U.S. but required to wait
        until after 21st birthday. Wives after 1922 had to apply for their
        own naturalization.

        An Alien could apply for citizenship after 5 years residence
        in the U.S.
        Some emigrants never became citizens.

        Petition (for naturalization). Often referred to as the "application for
        citizenship," "second papers," or "final papers." Like declarations,
        petitions varied widely in their form and content prior to
        implementation of the Basic Naturalization Act of 1906.
        Also, petitions did not have to be filed in the same court as the
        declaration (in cases where the immigrant moved), but not all pre-1906
        petitions will record where the relating declaration is filed! After the
        1906 Act, petitions became standard forms with standard information,
        including a reference to the related declaration. The arrival data
        (port, date, ship) on a post-1906 petition is also more reliable than
        that given on the declaration, since the data on the petition was
        verified by the government against the passenger lists.

        Remember, for pre-1906 naturalization records you must figure out
        where the immigrant did (or could) naturalize, and look for that court's
        records. If it was a federal court, those records are likely at the
        appropriate Regional National Archives. After 1906 the procedure
        is just the same, except that there was a copy of ALL naturalization
        records since September 27, 1906, filed with the U.S. Immigration
        and Naturalization Service. So if you cannot determine which court
        naturalized the immigrant after 1906, or if the courthouse burned
        and the post-1906 records were lost, or you could request a copy from
        the INS under the Freedom of Information Act.

        You can e-mail the regional National Archives (NARA)
        Mid Atlantic Region-Philadelphia PA

        http://www.nara.gov/regional/philacc.html

        E-mail: philadelphia.archives@...

        Holdings :
        Maintains archival records from Federal agencies and courts in
        Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

        Request a surname naturalization record search and provide
        as much as you can of the following:

        Name
        Date of birth
        Place of birth
        Year of immigration
        Ship and port of arrival
        Year of naturalization
        Marital status
        Names of spouse and dependents
        Residence at time of naturalization

        Also provide your name and U.S. Postal mail address.

        NARA will also respond by e-mail.
        If located , upon payment of $ 6 ? fee will mail you surname
        naturalization papers.

        You will receive acknowledgement of request following a few days
        (or hours, depending on volume of requests) later with their answer.

      • EMSCRS@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2002
          Regarding naturalization papers - check your state's archives, and well as
          the county courthouse where they were living (if you know). I found my
          gg-grandparents in the state archives, which was much faster and also cheaper
          than NARA. Elizabeth Smith