Re: CVENGROS, GELATKA

  • frankly1us
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2002
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Brenda Detrio <bdetrio@w...> wrote:
      > My greatgrandmother b. 1864 came to US 1892 from Austria-Hungary empire. =

      > Her maiden name was Cvengros (not sure of spelling), was married to Paul=

      > Geltaka (sp?). I am trying to determine what town she may have come from=

      > and do the names indicate she is Slovak or Hungarian? Any suggestions on=

      > where to go from here? Was not able to find her naturalization papers so =

      > far. Has anyone had luck with LDS films on Slovakia or Hungary?
      > Thanks
      > Brenda D
      > Fairfax VA

      Don't know your surnames.

      Expect Cvengros was Hungarian surname from Upper-Hungary (Slovakia)
      Márkusfalva (H) Markus^ovce (SK) formerly located in Szepes megye (county),=
      Hungary, now Slovakia.

      Expect surname Geletka was Slovak and surname Geltaka ? was Czech.

      Tell me emigrant surname(s) State of residence in U.S. and I will tell
      you easy route to locate naturalization papers.

    • Gregory J. Kopchak
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2002
        The Markusovce Parish Registers have quite a bit on the Cvengros family.

        You can get the reels at any Family History Center of the LDS Church.

        There are also scattered family records in several nearby villages too.

        Go to http://www.iarelative.com/krispin.htm for some info and others
        researching the name.

        Greg Kopchak
        It's All Relative