CVENGROS, GELATKA

  • Brenda Detrio
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
      My greatgrandmother b. 1864 came to US 1892 from Austria-Hungary empire.
      Her maiden name was Cvengros (not sure of spelling), was married to Paul
      Geltaka (sp?). I am trying to determine what town she may have come from
      and do the names indicate she is Slovak or Hungarian? Any suggestions on
      where to go from here? Was not able to find her naturalization papers so
      far. Has anyone had luck with LDS films on Slovakia or Hungary?
      Thanks
      Brenda D
      Fairfax VA

      Thank you for your time and comments. They are always interesting and
      insightful!

      Catherine

    • frankly1us
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2002
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Brenda Detrio <bdetrio@w...> wrote:
        > My greatgrandmother b. 1864 came to US 1892 from Austria-Hungary empire. =

        > Her maiden name was Cvengros (not sure of spelling), was married to Paul=

        > Geltaka (sp?). I am trying to determine what town she may have come from=

        > and do the names indicate she is Slovak or Hungarian? Any suggestions on=

        > where to go from here? Was not able to find her naturalization papers so =

        > far. Has anyone had luck with LDS films on Slovakia or Hungary?
        > Thanks
        > Brenda D
        > Fairfax VA

        Don't know your surnames.

        Expect Cvengros was Hungarian surname from Upper-Hungary (Slovakia)
        Márkusfalva (H) Markus^ovce (SK) formerly located in Szepes megye (county),=
        Hungary, now Slovakia.

        Expect surname Geletka was Slovak and surname Geltaka ? was Czech.

        Tell me emigrant surname(s) State of residence in U.S. and I will tell
        you easy route to locate naturalization papers.

      • Gregory J. Kopchak
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2002
          The Markusovce Parish Registers have quite a bit on the Cvengros family.

          You can get the reels at any Family History Center of the LDS Church.

          There are also scattered family records in several nearby villages too.

          Go to http://www.iarelative.com/krispin.htm for some info and others
          researching the name.

          Greg Kopchak
          It's All Relative