Richard Custer

  • shelley20640
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1 10:20 AM
      Hello Richard,

      Sorry to take so long to get back with you, but I was checking to
      see that I had the right Charles Risko. Luckily I got ahold of a 2nd
      cousin that had her mothers birth certificate. She was born in
      Vintondale, Pa and her parents were Charles Risko and Anna Chabra
      (maiden name) so it is the right Charles and Annie in the 1920
      census. You said that Vasyl and Anna had 2 children baptized in 1908
      and 1909. Their oldest children were Charlie born 1907 and Steve
      born 1909. So it could be them. I'm sure they are the Riskos on the
      1920 census, and all the children are listed as born in PA. On the
      1920 census it said that Charles immigrated in 1900 and family
      history says that he went to live with an Uncle, I'm not sure if it
      was in Pa or not, but their does seem to be a few Riskos living
      there. You seem to know alot about the history of Hungary, so I have
      a question. Charles was in a prison camp and escaped and came to the
      US. He was here in 1900, it must have been something that was going
      on in the 1890's. Family members thought it was the breakup of
      Austria/Hungary, but he was here and had children before that, also
      the earliest Russian Revolution I can find is 1905. I only heard he
      was in a prison camp, but other family members said they heard he was
      a soldier, but I'm not sure what he was fighting for? Other cousins
      said that the family were "white russians" and that that meant they
      weren't communist. I don't know how true that is, but my
      ggrandfather did tell my father that he hated communist, so I'm not
      sure. I saw your other post about not being able to email me, my
      email address is scobby@.... I don't know why yahoo list that
      yahoo address for this group when it gives my real email for all the
      rest of my groups. Sorry this has been so long.

      Thanks,
      Shelley Clark

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Richard D. Custer" <rcuster@e...> wrote:
      > Hi Shelley,
      >
      > Where did Charles Risko go to church? Where is he buried? There
      were
      > several immigrant Risko men (e.g., John, Nicholas, Michael) in
      Vintondale;
      > some of them are buried in the Saints Peter & Paul Russian Orthodox
      Church
      > cemetery:
      > http://members.tripod.com/warholic/st_p_&_p_vintondale.htm
      >
      > These people were Carpatho-Rusyns; not Slovaks, not Hungarians.
      They were
      > from the village of Drahovo, Maramaros County, Hungary.
      >
      > I see a Vasyl' Risko (Vasyl'/Basil usually was Anglicized to
      Charles) who
      > had a child baptized in this church in 1908, another in 1909. His
      wife is
      > listed as Anna. Vasyl' was from Drahovo as well.
      >
      > Drahovo is now in Ukraine. However, they are in that part of
      Ukraine which
      > *used to be* in Czechoslovakia, namely Zakarpattia / Subcarpathian
      Rus'.
      > Drahovo, Maramaros County, Hungary, is now part of the Khustskyj
      Rajon
      > [Khust District], Zakarpatska Oblast [Transcarpathian Region],
      Ukraine.

      > Drahovo appears on this map segment:
      > http://www.lemko.org/atlas/Pages/Pg59.html
      > In the lower third of the map, look just east of the red blotch,
      the city of
      > Khust (XYCT). It's along the road from Khust; the road goes east &
      north to
      > Drahovo.
      >
      > Zakarpatska Oblast was part of Czechoslovakia (the eastern
      province, known
      > as Podkarpatska Rus' or Subcarpathian Rus'/Ruthenia) from ~1920
      until 1945
      > when it was given to the Soviet Union.
      >

      > Rich Custer
      > Carpatho-Rusyn Society
      > www.carpathorusynsociety.org
      > www.carpatho-rusyn.org

      Vintondale,
      > > Pa. His name was Charles Risko, his age (45 in 1920) and the
      > > children's name match the information I have on him. I had always
      > > been told he was Hungarian. On the census form he is listed as
      being
      > > born in Austria and beside Austria was the word Slovak. I know
      that