Re: Slovak Names - Italian Connection

  • frankly1us
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2002
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Ron Matviyak" <amiak@a...> wrote:
      > When it comes to non-Slovak sounding names it is worth remembering that
      > Austria-Hungary was a multi-national state and people did move around wit=
      > the greater country. The army at the time had a policy in times of peace=
      > stationing troops away from their own ethnic areas, for example, putting
      > Hungarian and Czech troops in the Italian area, and putting Italians and
      > Austrians in the Slovak area. This was driven home to me when I met a
      > Slovak named Balzano. This contrasts greatly with the Italian writer nam=
      > Alberto Moravia, and served to drive home the idea of ethnic mingling wit=
      > the old empire. It is only lately that I looked up Moravia's name and ca=
      > up with "Alberto Pincherle (Alberto Moravia) was born in Rome into a
      > well-to-do middle-class Jewish-Catholic family. " Ok, so Moravia was an
      > adapted name, but this Roman has a fine south-German ending with "erle" i=
      > Pincherle.
      > What do the rest of you think of this mixing of ethnic names within the
      > empire? Do you see many indications of it?

      Do you remember the messages posted about 'Mongolian blue spots' at anothe=
      r Slovakia ethnic site, back in the good old days of the Internet ?

      Prior to WW I (1914-1918) the armies of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
      were composed of three separate armies; the common army, which was
      recruited from both the German and Hungarian portions of the Empire,
      the Austrian Landwehr, which was recruited the so-called German
      provinces of the Empire, which in practice contained Poles, Ukrainians,
      Slovenians and Czechs and the Hungarian Landwehr (Honved), recruited
      from the Hungarian administered provinces of the Empire (e.g.
      Croatia-Slavonia and Slovakia)

      During wartime all three forces merged together, the only difference
      actually being the names of the individual regiments.
      The regiments of the common army were designated "Imperial and Royal" - kai=
      serlich und königlich or k.u.k. .
      The Austrian Landwehr regiments were titled "Imperial and Royal"
      kaiserlich und königlich or k.u.k.
      Finally the Landwehr (Honvéd) were styled "Royal Hungarian"
      königlich ungarisch or k.u.
      But, it was not independent because the formation of the Hungarian
      Army (Magyar Honvédség) was as part of the common army (referred to
      above) and not a separate entity.

      It is my understanding that if surname was Slovak ethnicity he would
      have served in the Hungarian Army for his military service and not in
      the Austrian Army.
      If from Upper-Hungary (Slovakia) it was likely the surname served
      in a Hungarian unit, but not necessarily a unit stationed close to home.
      My paternal GF served in the Hungarian cavalry and in his home region.
      All Hungarian cavalry unit were Hussars.

      For last word on this subject, subscribe to AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN-MILITARY-L@roo=

      Frank Kurcina